UK - Anthony Parsons, 63, charity cyclist, found deceased, Argyll, Scotland, 29 Sept 2017 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There's also a burger van frequently parked in a large layby on the A82 just north of loch Tulla.

I doubt the burger van would have been there at the time he was passing. Most burger vans on major routes tend to cater for the lorry driver trade and typically open from 6am to 2pm or 3pm.

The burger van in the layby isn't there all the time and I doubt it would be open after 9 if it was. I think I have only seen it perhaps twice in the last ten times I have passed.

You wouldn't leave a mobile catering van unattended in a layby overnight as it's likely to get nicked. You're typically looking at £20k+ of equipment, probably over £30k for a better quality one. It would be towed to site in the morning and towed away again at the end of business each day.

You wouldn't leave a mobile catering van unattended in a layby overnight as it's likely to get nicked. You're typically looking at £20k+ of equipment, probably over £30k for a better quality one. It would be towed to site in the morning and towed away again at the end of business each day.

Indeed, I worded it completely wrong lol.

What I meant was it isn't there for business as much as it used to be. I have passed by a number of times, late morning through to evening time and it was there about two times out of ten.

Lots of people are asking if he had lights with him (on here and the Reddit link posted earlier). I think it's safe to assume that he did have lights. Sunset was around 7pm and with no street lights on the A82, he would have been riding in full darkness for at least 3.5 hours to have reached the hotel by 11:30pm. It just wouldn't be possible to do that without lights.

Following on from that, what would he have done if his light had suddenly died in the middle of nowhere? He'd have to try and get off the road for a start. Then what? Try to walk to Tyndrum or back to Bridge of Orchy with almost zero visibility? Or try and find somewhere to rest until sunrise? Maybe try to blindly walk towards the nearest light source? (houses at Auch?)

Human night vision can be surprisingly good if it's allowed to develop, which typically takes 30 minutes or so without interference from artificial light. Unfortunately each set of headlights shining into his eyes would wipe the night vision out and it would take time to develop again, though obviously you can protect it to some extend by looking down at the road or off to one side until the vehicle has passed.

If there was a 2/3 moon that night, it would have risen a few hours before sunset and have been effective during the evening and into the early hours - providing the sky was clear. From memory that was not the case as it was drizzly and overcast that weekend.

Indeed, I worded it completely wrong lol.

What I meant was it isn't there for business as much as it used to be. I have passed by a number of times, late morning through to evening time and it was there about two times out of ten.

Fair enough. For lorries to pull off you obviously need a fairly substantial layby or parking area and not much competition. Maybe it's mainly a summer van there for the tourists rather than commercial vehicles.

Yes, you're right. It looks like the cafe at the ski centre is open until 8:30pm so might be possible for a food stop. These were just examples of places he might have stopped anyway. He would surely have had some food in his backpack so could have stopped for a break and some food anywhere along the route. I still think that it's likely he had a couple of stops which reduced his average speed rather than actually cycling at 7kph.

Anybody who knows the area would use the West Highland Way route here. The WHW from Ft William to Glencoe is steep and rough, not very pleasant for cycling on but from Glencoe to Bridge of Orchy the WHW path is excellent and easy riding.
There's no evidence to rule this out - the WHW crosses the A82 at the hotel so he could have taken either route to get there.

Lots of people are asking if he had lights with him (on here and the Reddit link posted earlier). I think it's safe to assume that he did have lights. Sunset was around 7pm and with no street lights on the A82, he would have been riding in full darkness for at least 3.5 hours to have reached the hotel by 11:30pm. It just wouldn't be possible to do that without lights.

Following on from that, what would he have done if his light had suddenly died in the middle of nowhere? He'd have to try and get off the road for a start. Then what? Try to walk to Tyndrum or back to Bridge of Orchy with almost zero visibility? Or try and find somewhere to rest until sunrise? Maybe try to blindly walk towards the nearest light source? (houses at Auch?)

A number of cycle maps and routes I have searched show the quietest route from Glencoe back to Tony's home as taking the WHW at the Glencoe ski center over to Bridge of Orchy and then from there carrying on the WHW on towards Tyndrum - this bypasses CCTV at Tyndrum - then on towards Crianlarich.

Fair enough. For lorries to pull off you obviously need a fairly substantial layby or parking area and not much competition. Maybe it's mainly a summer van there for the tourists rather than commercial vehicles.

Yep, I would say its mainly for the tourists, the layby in question is situated at a high-up viewpoint looking over the Rannoch moor towards the Blackmount.

Yes, you're right. It looks like the cafe at the ski centre is open until 8:30pm so might be possible for a food stop. These were just examples of places he might have stopped anyway. He would surely have had some food in his backpack so could have stopped for a break and some food anywhere along the route. I still think that it's likely he had a couple of stops which reduced his average speed rather than actually cycling at 7kph.

Kings House had (has?) a cafe/restaurant that was open despite the renovation. I agree though it's probably more likely he stopped, but even then if it took him 5.5 hours to cycle 40km he could take a 1.5 hour stop and would still only have averaged 10km/h over that section At that point why not just stop the nearest shelter, unless you are aiming for somewhere.

Anybody who knows the area would use the West Highland Way route here. The WHW from Ft William to Glencoe is steep and rough, not very pleasant for cycling on but from Glencoe to Bridge of Orchy the WHW path is excellent and easy riding.
There's no evidence to rule this out - the WHW crosses the A82 at the hotel so he could have taken either route to get there.

I agree, even with the sighting after Bridge of Orchy he could have joined the WHW after Auch. It would also mean he could have passed tyndrum. I think that's probably most likely given the intensity and duration of the searches.

Probably but how far could he really have got away from the road in total darkness? With a bike as if he abandoned it near the road it would surely have been found.

H
If there was a 2/3 moon that night, it would have risen a few hours before sunset and have been effective during the evening and into the early hours - providing the sky was clear. From memory that was not the case as it was drizzly and overcast that weekend.

ssl's webcam on his blog post shows it was drizzly in the area overnight.

I didn't notice the camera picture before - very interesting! You would easily see a cyclist on this video feed if indeed it is constantly filming.

BTW, I posted this to reddit earlier and there have been a lot of interesting comments made there too.

Thank you for that link ssl! It was a very interesting read.

The comment about the drunk woman being found in a ditch near to where Tony went missing is interesting but she was found by luck. The roadsides have been searched by the police in the search for Tony. I find the idea that he is on the roadside unrealistic.

If he was trapped underwater, how long would the body stay there? Have there been any recent examples? I suppose it will depend on the current flow, depth etc.

So if his body was trapped under water, could it still be trapped? I believe that it would now be freed due to factors such as current, flow, decomposition etc.

If he was trapped underwater, how long would the body stay there? Have there been any recent examples? I suppose it will depend on the current flow, depth etc.

So if his body was trapped under water, could it still be trapped? I believe that it would now be freed due to factors such as current, flow, decomposition etc.

Your questions unfortunately can't be answered with any accuracy. I think it would depend on how the body was trapped. If for example his shoe was wedged somewhere, or his bicycle came to rest on top of him, it might never come loose, or only after years, or if by chance an outside force dislodged it. Also something to know is that after the initial, gas-producing process of decomposition is over, a body might not "come up" but simply rest on the ground, and the deeper he is under water the more likely he'll stay there. Over time the body might break apart though and parts of it, or clothing, moved along by the current. I think after this much time has passed, if he's in a body of water he will only be found by a stroke of luck. jmo

Tony Parsons: Son's TV appeal over missing Tillicoultry charity cyclist

Recent TV appeal for information by his son, Mike. I think this is the first time there's been any public appearance from his family?

One thing which stood out to me from that article:
It was, therefore, no surprise that Tony, who was described as a “very, very strong-willed and determined individual” by his son, would set his sights on a 100-mile bike ride from Fort William back to the Wee County, having completed charity hikes to Hadrian’s Wall and along the West Highland Way.
The West Highland Way is the walking path to the East of the A82 where he went missing. It's not a remote path and is very busy with walkers, even at the time of year when Tony went missing. It does open up the possibility that he knew the area and possibly left the road looking for a shelter or alternative path which he had seen before.
Having said that, if he knew the route of the WHW, then leaving from the Bridge of Orchy hotel on the main road is likely a deliberate decision and not simply a missed turnoff for the WHW and less likely that he'd try to find a shortcut onto it later.

Tony Parsons: Son's TV appeal over missing Tillicoultry charity cyclist

Recent TV appeal for information by his son, Mike. I think this is the first time there's been any public appearance from his family?

One thing which stood out to me from that article:

The West Highland Way is the walking path to the East of the A82 where he went missing. It's not a remote path and is very busy with walkers, even at the time of year when Tony went missing. It does open up the possibility that he knew the area and possibly left the road looking for a shelter or alternative path which he had seen before.
Having said that, if he knew the route of the WHW, then leaving from the Bridge of Orchy hotel on the main road is likely a deliberate decision and not simply a missed turnoff for the WHW and less likely that he'd try to find a shortcut onto it later.

Yep, the first public appeal by a member of the family.

So it raises again the possibility that he left the main A82 and went for the West Highland Way route towards Tyndrum. I also again wonder if he came from the Glencoe Ski centre via the WHW? I wonder if he did fall into the Kinglas Water and got trapped or swept downstream towards the River Orchy?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn
Back