UK - Anthony Parsons, 63, charity cyclist, found deceased, Argyll, Scotland, 29 Sept 2017 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. The quietest route option goes from the ski centre over the Black Mount to BoO then to Killin via Loch Lyon so would explain the two sightings and the nothing in between or after.

Now, this is interesting.

A cyclist on another website said that he could have gone over towards the Glen Lyon route and fell down a steep part of the path towards the river.

Now, this is interesting.

A cyclist on another website said that he could have gone over towards the Glen Lyon route and fell down a steep part of the path towards the river.
Yes. Or anywhere else along this remote route, part of the Highland 550 and probably known and very alluring to an aspiring cyclist undertaking a personal challenge. There’s a lot of mention of the route on the web, including bivy camping and the thrill of overnight cycling.

Yes. Or anywhere else along this remote route, part of the Highland 550 and probably known and very alluring to an aspiring cyclist undertaking a personal challenge. There’s a lot of mention of the route on the web, including bivy camping and the thrill of overnight cycling.

I had suspected that he may have come off the A82 to get away from the lorries and the wet spray that would be unnerving. These areas have not been searched. All that was searched were the roadsides. Glen Orchy too was not searched in detail.

I had suspected that he may have come off the A82 to get away from the lorries and the wet spray that would be unnerving. These areas have not been searched. All that was searched were the roadsides. Glen Orchy too was not searched in detail.

Yes. Failed searches may mean off road is now more likely, maybe as his pre-planned intention rather than as a spur of the moment decision.

Yes. Failed searches may mean off road is now more likely, maybe as his pre-planned intention rather than as a spur of the moment decision.

I wonder if the police questioned the guy that Tony had discussed the route with?

It is very likely he has gone offroad.

Ok, so assuming he went offroad there (even I'd give that bit a bash on my hybrid - in daylight!), he must have come off the path en route. Even in winter that area must see some foot/bike traffic and his bike and clothing are brightly coloured so he should have been found by now if he were close to the path.

Has anyone tipped the police off about this? It really does seem likely that he'd use CycleStreets and if it's throwing up the offroad option as the quiet route, it's a really good bet.

Ok, so assuming he went offroad there (even I'd give that bit a bash on my hybrid - in daylight!), he must have come off the path en route. Even in winter that area must see some foot/bike traffic and his bike and clothing are brightly coloured so he should have been found by now if he were close to the path.

Has anyone tipped the police off about this? It really does seem likely that he'd use CycleStreets and if it's throwing up the offroad option as the quiet route, it's a really good bet.

Have sent this to the police -

All the online cycle route planners show the quietest route option from Fort William to Tillicoultry follows a section via Glen Lyon and Loch Lyon after Bridge of Orchy and not via Tyndrum.

If Tony's planned the route online and has intended taking the quietest recommended route home then this would be it and not via Tyndrum and the main road.

How did you contact the police? I contacted them some time ago about this and have done so again tonight

Assuming this cycle challenge was thoroughly pre-planned then it’s not inconceivable an online cycle route planner was used to plot the best course. It’s also likely the quietest route option might then be taken as opposed to just the fastest (and most dangerous). The cycle streets app and other main cycle route planners show a weird option from FW to Tillicoultry straight from BoO off road straight to Loch Lyon And via Killin to Lochearnhead and then on. Could that be a valid off road option given it’s being flagged as the quietest option home? And is taken just at the point he was last seen. All other routes have been searched and this one hasn’t even been at all mentioned.

The argument against that is that Tony didn't reach BoO until what? 11pm or midnight? To choose to go off onto so remote a route at that time of night in the rain, when he'd already been cycling for 5 or more hours and wasn't particularly fit, seems reckless to the point of willing suicide.

However now that the possibility has been raised I think a thorough checkout of the route, whether on 2 wheels or 4, is necessary.

The argument against that is that Tony didn't reach BoO until what? 11pm or midnight? To choose to go off onto so remote a route at that time of night in the rain, when he'd already been cycling for 5 or more hours and wasn't particularly fit, seems reckless to the point of willing suicide.

However now that the possibility has been raised I think a thorough checkout of the route, whether on 2 wheels or 4, is necessary.
This gives a sense of the route, which looks not too bad. Note the access via the Tyndrum Road and the suggestion of impassable fords in heavy rain.

http://dave.davebanks.com/route_18.htm

This gives a sense of the route, which looks not too bad. Note the access via the Tyndrum Road and the suggestion of impassable fords in heavy rain.

This is really helpful in understanding the terrain he might have tried to cycle through, though looking "not too bad" in broad daylight and bright sunshine is a far cry from looking "not too bad" in the rain after midnight.

I was wondering how often Google's satellite images are updated. It's now 5 months since Tony went missing and vegetation is currently at its lowest after the winter die-back. Is it worth us all poring over the zoomed in satellite images looking for a tiny splodge of red?

It's a route that I have passed many times and always fancied. I might make a point in the coming weeks.

Someone also mentioned to me this morning about seasonal lodges in Tyndrum that are closed for the winter. They said it may have been possible Tony entered one.

How likely do you think he has been the victim of a hit and run and been hidden?

How likely do you think he has been the victim of a hit and run and been hidden?

Well, anything is possible. Hit and run, or hit and take. Unlikely though. If he had been struck he would have been found in the roadside search and its unlikely anyone would drag him a great distance.

Possible he got a lift and dropped off down the road.

Most likely IMO he is lying undiscovered off-road.

He must have told his family or friends when he was likely to return. If he had said "see you in a day or two" then we are looking at him crashing out somewhere, maybe he fancied a night cycle and a sleep out in the open, an old barn, sheep pen, ruined cottage that he knew of, or had seen online.

Well, anything is possible. Hit and run, or hit and take. Unlikely though. If he had been struck he would have been found in the roadside search and its unlikely anyone would drag him a great distance.

Possible he got a lift and dropped off down the road.

Most likely IMO he is lying undiscovered off-road.

He must have told his family or friends when he was likely to return. If he had said "see you in a day or two" then we are looking at him crashing out somewhere, maybe he fancied a night cycle and a sleep out in the open, an old barn, sheep pen, ruined cottage that he knew of, or had seen online.

I agree with that. I suspect this was always intended to be a weekender. Hence the Friday and the later start. The outbuildings in a remote area would make a lot of sense. In late, up early and off again. All routes and locations researched in advance.

A lot of the missing cyclist stuff I've come across seem to end with a body, off-road seemingly after a riding accident/mishap or exposure. Seems to be a very common theme.

I'd say this is fairly likely. Not sure why off-road at that point would be likely, especially up Glen Lyon. Anyone seen anything about him having lights? Without lights or with poor quality lights he would not be able to cycle off-road for any distance. Seriously, for any kind of mtb night riding you want a wide-spread beam on your bar and a spot head torch at least. Regardless, surely the WHW would be a preferable option to a ~30 mile detour with significant elevation gain.

I agree with that. I suspect this was always intended to be a weekender. Hence the Friday and the later start. The outbuildings in a remote area would make a lot of sense. In late, up early and off again. All routes and locations researched in advance.

Seems quite reasonable given the timings, but his bag isn't all that big. Perhaps could fit a bivvy bag and his jacket though?

Well Spring /Summer and the longer nights will soon be here.Plenty of hill walkers and campers will be out and about,hopefully the poor man will be found ending the not knowing torment for his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn
Back