UK - Bradford. 3 children (1, 5 & 9) and a woman killed in house fire. *Man arrested on suspicion of murder* (21 Aug '24)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The daily Mail article states:

‘Last night a family friend, who asked not to be named, claimed Miss Gawith and her three children had been innocently caught up in a domestic row involving another member of her family.

The family member is said to have come to the house, followed by a man who 'poured petrol over his head and set himself on fire.'
[…]

So if above is accurate, the 39yo followed a “family member” (Birtle/Gawith?) into the house and seemingly self-immolated?
… and the roles of the two men charged with murder and attempted murder (Sunderland, 25, and Shabir, 44) is at this time unclear.

Reactions: nao
So if above is accurate, the 39yo followed a “family member” (Birtle/Gawith?) into the house and seemingly self-immolated?
… and the roles of the two men charged with murder and attempted murder (Sunderland, 25, and Shabir, 44) is at this time unclear.
I believe there are 4 people arrested plus the "firestarter" who is currently critical. What on earth happened here?

No, the 39-year-old followed his ex-partner, who was visiting the home of Bryonie Gawith. There is no information if the woman is related to BG, or to her partner, or if she's a friend of BG. Obviously she had been trying to get away from her ex, but wasn't aware how far he would go to harm her, or himself. I wonder if those arrested are his friends and/or relatives, and they knew about his plans.

"Two men are set to appear in court today charged with murder and attempted murder after a house fire in Bradford left a mother and her three children dead.

Police executed several warrants in the Keighley area of the city on Friday
and four other people remain under investigation,
including a 39-year-old man who was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and remains in hospital in a critical condition."

11:58Sophie Corcoran

Charges​

The court has heard the two defendants are charged with four counts of murder of Bryonie, Denisty, Oscar and Aubree.
They are also charged with attempting to murder Antonia Gawith.

On Thursday, Mohammed Shabir, 44, and Calum Sunderland, 25, both of Keighley, made their first appearance at a crown court.

The men are charged with murdering Gawith and the three children, and attempting to murder Antonia Gawith. The prosecutor Matthew Bean told Bradford crown court there was a third person who was “in a coma”.

Bean added: “He is, at the moment, very unwell and the expectation is that he may not recover. He may, but at the moment there is a degree of uncertainty.

“There is a possibility there will be two further defendants, perhaps three, on different offences but linked.”

Shabir and Sunderland appeared on a video link from prison. They were not asked to enter pleas to the charges.

The pair were remanded in custody until their next appearance at the same court for a plea and trial preparation hearing on 25 September.

Judge Jonathan Rose, the recorder of Bradford, set a provisional trial date of 4 March.

I wonder if this is all some gangs' wars related.

Why are there so many suspects?
(2 charged
1in hospital
4 under investigation)

How are they all related?

A simple jealous/vindictive ex usually acts alone.

Targeting the whole family,
killing them in gruesome way,
is absolutely over the top,
Mafia style :oops:

It is a semi-detached house.
How scary for the neighbours.
Jeez!
I wouldn't be surprised if they move out of the area.

JMO

Last edited:
I wonder if this is all some gangs' wars related.

Why are there so many suspects?
(2 charged
1in hospital
4 under investigation)

How are they all related?

A simple jealous/vindictive ex usually acts alone.

Targeting the whole family,
killing them in gruesome way,
is absolutely over the top,
Mafia style :oops:

It is a semi-detached house.
How scary for the neighbours.
Jeez!
I wouldn't be surprised if they move out of the area.

JMO
I couldn't possibly speculate on everyone's role was in this horrific incident, I've already made that mistake in my head once in this case! I didn't expect there to be additional suspects and was expecting the alleged self immolator to have acted alone. Who on earth would want to join in on such a horrific enterprise based on a "domestic" dispute? I hoped the court hearings might provide a bit more context, but I suppose the police are being tight-lipped while there are other suspects who require further investigation, and one of them is in a coma.

I'd be surprised if the man in hospital recovers based on the news about his condition. I'm surprised he didn't perish in the fire itself considering the mother and children didn't make it. If he does perish do we think the others will be charged with his murder as well or will his death be ruled a suicide?

MOO

I though potentially the two in court were there threatening the one in hospital, he decided to set him self on fire, but they are complicit in it as they were there? But that's only MOO

I'm surprised at so many arrests also. I wonder if the other two arrests are people that helped the hospitalised man carry out his plan? Maybe drove him to the scene, purchased the substance for him to ignite himself? (can't remember if it was stated it was petrol or not).

All moo

I'm surprised at so many arrests also. I wonder if the other two arrests are people that helped the hospitalised man carry out his plan? Maybe drove him to the scene, purchased the substance for him to ignite himself? (can't remember if it was stated it was petrol or not).

All moo

But why is everyone talking about self immolation? :rolleyes:

I doubt it.
IMO he got burned while committing the crime.

Fire is deadly.

The interior of the house seems to be in ruins,
charred and black - both upstairs and downstairs.

JMO

Last edited:

I doubt it.

JMO

I remember reading in an article that he poured petrol over himself and set himself on fire. Whether that turned out to be true or not I don't know.

I doubt it.

Fire is deadly.

JMO
He could have still set himself on fire, whilst others were involved in assisting him in the crime itself. Being fully aware of what was to occur yet doing nothing to stop it. Knowing that the house was occupied by a family who the intended victim was visiting. I think it's likely he self immolated inside the house given the damage. It's just horrific. All MOO, I guess we won't know the details until the trial....if a trial happens.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avah
Back