Found Deceased UK - Brooke Morris, 22, Trelewis, Merthyr Tydfil, 12 Oct 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi everyone,

I'm very local to this and wanted to join to share a few thoughts.

1) Trelewis is a village and Treharris is a small town, both former mining villages with the area Brooke was last seen in being reclaimed land from the old colliery. Both are very close-knit and neither are especially troubled with crime, which usually goes no further than the activities of bored teens. Merthyr, where she'd been on a night out, is seven miles away and early reports were a bit unclear because they'd made it sound like it was Merthyr she'd disappeared from; Trelewis and Treharris are in Merthyr county but are not part of the town.

2) Although this is reclaimed industrial land, there are no abandoned shafts or other industrial debris likely to cause an accident; this was all removed during the landscaping and creation of the park.

3) The local rivers have been very swollen lately after weeks of heavy rain.

4) Going left from the lane Brooke was last seen walking down, the path is unlit but comes parallel to a lit main road (B4255) after around 100 metres. After this, beyond the cenotaph, the path enters a much darker wooded area but it would have been almost impossible to reach the river from here due a long and heavily wooded bank. If she continued straight on the lane becomes Captains Hill, and this joins the B4254 a little further down. Captains Hill has streetlights, but they often seem not to be working. It's worth noting that even though both the B4254 and B4255 are main roads, they would have been very quiet at that hour. Had she turned right after walking down the lane, which the assumption seems to be, the path would have led across the reclaimed land from the pit. After a short distance you can turn left across the footbridge to Treharris, or continue onwards towards a series of artificial lakes. The entire length of this path, until the lakes, is lit, and I'm assuming the streetlights were working as they've recently been replaced with modern LED lamps. The river follows the entire length of the path to the left; it would have been pretty much impossible to accidentally enter the river either before or from the bridge as there are barriers. Also, I imagine (but I'm not certain) that any body that did enter the river here would get caught amongst the concrete slabs that create the rapids, and so would have been found immediately. After the bridge, going upstream, the river is gentler and the path is still lit, but the barriers between the path and river end. I still think it would have been hard to accidentally tumble into the river here, but not impossible. After less than half a mile, at the lakes, the path continues but the streetlights end and the valley becomes very remote. This is not somewhere to be in the dead of night night, not because you're likely to run into any dodgy person but because it's so desolate. I really can't see Brooke having chosen to go here, though.

5) I've seen or heard nothing to suggest Brooke was especially drunk. Nor have I seen or heard anything to suggest she had been unhappy or suffering from mental ill-health. Her Instagram (@brookeemorris_) shows someone who is extremely popular and not outwardly depressed.

6) The "meeting someone" angle is one I hadn't thought of. The park would be the natural choice for a person from Trelewis or Treharris to meet someone away from prying eyes as it's quiet but not remote, but I can't see why a young woman after a night out would choose to meet someone there at 02:40.

7) I've seen or heard nothing to suggest police are looking for anybody else (no "person of interest") but again, also no suggestion that she was either highly intoxicated or suffering emotionally.

8) Xtinalew mentioned that the area is vast and very dangerous but I wouldn't totally agree. It would have been very dangerous to enter the swollen river, yes, but the park is mostly a network of paved, lit paths with no cliffs or other steep drops.

nb; this has similarities to another unsolved local case, Billy Davies in 1997. He was last seen near a swollen river but questions still linger over his total disappearance, as bodies going into rivers in a heavily populated area like the South Wales Valleys tend to turn up. Absolutely impossible that it has any relation to Brooke Morris' disappearance, though, other than possibly the danger of swollen rivers at night.

Also, it turns out the path towards the bridge and on to the lakes is covered on Streetview, starting at the lane from Bontnewydd Terrace she was last seen walking down: Google Maps

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm very local to this and wanted to join to share a few thoughts.

1) Trelewis is a village and Treharris is a small town, both former mining villages with the area Brooke was last seen in being reclaimed land from the old colliery. Both are very close-knit and neither are especially troubled with crime, which usually goes no further than the activities of bored teens.

2) The local rivers have been very swollen lately after weeks of heavy rain.

3) Going left from the lane Brooke was last seen walking down, the path is unlit but comes parallel to a lamppost-lit main road (B4255) after around 100 metres. After this, beyond the cenotaph, the path enters a much darker wooded area but it would have been almost impossible to reach the river from here due a long and heavily wooded bank. If she continued straight on the lane becomes Captains Hill, and this joins the B4254 a little further down. Captains Hill has streetlights, but they often seem not to be working. It's worth noting that even though both the B4254 and B4255 are main roads, they would have been very quiet at that hour. Had she turned right after walking down the lane, which the assumption seems to be, the path would have led across the reclaimed land from the pit. After a short distance you can turn left across the footbridge to Treharris, or continue onwards towards a series of artificial lakes. The entire length of this path, until the lakes, is lit, and I'm assuming the streetlights were working as they've recently been replaced with modern LED lamps. The river follows the entire length of the path to the left; it would have been pretty much impossible to accidentally enter the river either before or from the bridge as there are barriers. After the bridge the river is gentler (although it still would have been swollen) and the path is still lit, but the barriers between the path and river end. I still imagine it would have been hard to accidentally tumble into the river here, but not impossible. After less than half a mile, at the lakes, the path continues but the streetlights end and the valley becomes very remote. This is not somewhere to be in the dead of night night, not because you're likely to run into any dodgy person but because it's so desolate. I really can't see Brooke having chosen to go here, though.

4) I've seen or heard nothing to suggest Brooke was especially drunk. Nor have I seen or heard anything to suggest she had been unhappy or suffering from mental ill-health. Her Instagram (@brookeemorris_) shows someone who is extremely popular and not outwardly depressed.

5) The "meeting someone" angle is one I hadn't thought of. Parc Taf Bargoed would be the natural choice for someone from Trelewis or Treharris to meet someone away from prying eyes as it's quiet but not remote, but I can't see why a young woman after a night out would choose to meet someone there at 02:40.

6) I've seen or heard nothing to suggest police are looking for anybody else (no "person of interest") but again, also no suggestion that she was either highly intoxicated or suffering emotionally.

7) Xtinalew mentioned that the area is vast and very dangerous but I wouldn't totally agree. It would have been very dangerous to enter the swollen river but the park is mostly a network of paved, lit paths with no cliffs or other steep drops.

nb; this has similarities to another unsolved local case, Billy Davies in 1997. He was last seen near a swollen river, but questions still linger over his total disappearance, as bodies going into rivers in a heavily populated area like the South Wales Valleys tend to turn up. Absolutely impossible that it has any relation to Brooke Morris' disappearance, though, other than possibly the danger of swollen rivers at night.

Also, it turns out the path towards the bridge and on to the lakes is covered on Streetview, starting at the lane from Bontnewydd Terrace she was last seen walking down: Google Maps

Welcome, jet.

Thanks for that. Really useful information for us all to have.

Are these the old pit tips? Im assuming any shafts are well capped and secure?

(Im originally from a mining village in W Yorkshire. The old tips are now levelled and are a country park type landscape. Nothing like how the area looks there ,yet still dangerous)

Are these paths more recreational, as in the above park I mentioned at home etc, or are they used primarily as practical routes to and from village/town ?

Would the more conventional routes from village to town ,roads or paths that predate the mines closing etc, take longer to travel or would they be quicker than the Colliery route that BM is thought to have taken?

ETA : Any areas within the trails that are known for rough sleepers/homeless. Or drug dens? Youth hang-outs etc

Any cctv coverage of the reclaimed land or other trails?

Last edited:
Hi Spy, and thanks for the welcome.

Having lived in West Yorkshire myself, our country parks on former colliery workings are pretty much identical to yours, with the usual mix of bikers, joggers and dog walkers. All seams have been capped, yes, and are actually marked by plaques along the route of the path which note their names and depths. The area is very busy by day but quiet by night, despite being lit. Also, yes, the path across the park and footbridge is the quickest and easiest route from Trelewis to Treharris, and it's heavily-used as the shops in Treharris town centre are a short distance from the footbridge. Prior to the creation of the park, the only route from Trelewis to Treharris was the longer, and steep, B4254, which everyone I know avoids unless they feel like punishing their legs. If Brooke had been trying to get to Treharris for some reason, the route across the park is the one she would have taken.

My first thought was that she had been trying to get home from Bontnewydd Terrace in Trelewis to Railway Terrace in Treharris, no more than 200 metres from each other, as that's where her family used to live; this no longer seems to be the case and it seems her home definitely is in Bontnewydd Terrace.

Last edited:
Late night out plus water nearby always a bad combo. The question I have is why didn’t she just go home from being dropped off? Could she not find her keys? Is there a logical reason for her to head the way she did?
Agreed! Why didn’t she just go on home once she was dropped off? What reason did she have for not doing so? Answering that is crucial in heading in the right direction in finding her. IMO

Thanks @jet1550 for the local insight and welcome to WS!

Was Brooke living alone, do we know that? Does she have a SO? Does she have pets?

I think we are allowed to discuss victim social media accounts (?) If so, I get the impression from Brooke’s Instagram, mentioned earlier in the thread by someone else, that she had a dog. Brooke has footage on her stories there of her walking a dog. She seems to love being outdoors, lots of hill climbing, walks on beaches, stepping across rocks over rivers, enjoying sunsets, great photos of her on mountain tops and cliff edges etc. If dog is not hers then must belong to someone close to her.

I'm confused why she wasn't actually dropped off at her house, but "near" her house.

And police say: "The last confirmed sighting that we have of Brooke suggests that she didn't actually go into her home and instead went down a lane that leads towards a bridge that goes into Treharris."

Who would be the last person to see Brooke, other than the friends who dropped her off? And why would they not stop her and try to find out what was going on with her...

I'm confused why she wasn't actually dropped off at her house, but "near" her house.

And police say: "The last confirmed sighting that we have of Brooke suggests that she didn't actually go into her home and instead went down a lane that leads towards a bridge that goes into Treharris."

Who would be the last person to see Brooke, other than the friends who dropped her off? And why would they not stop her and try to find out what was going on with her...
Could it be last confirmed sighting was from a security cam?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back