Found Deceased UK - Caroline Everest, 18, Sheffield, 22 Nov 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, it does sound as though the toxicology has shown the cause of death, plus the cctv has ruled out the man ( or anyone else ) being with Caroline at the time.

A relief no doubt for the man.

So does this mean that her death would have been caused by drugs/drink/sudden illness then?

So does this mean that her death would have been caused by drugs/drink/sudden illness then?

Or accident or hypothermia I guess. The family statement mentioned her trying hard to organise her life with all the things she wanted to do...maybe she was feeling momentarily overwhelmed and did something silly on the spur of the moment?

I have been following the tragic story of Caroline Everest since she was first found.

I am new to the forum and there is a fabulous amount of information on here, and have spent the few days reading through all the pages. I was a little surprised to see that no one had mentioned the chap who claimed to have seen Caroline at around 3am on the night of her disappearance.

He made the comment on the Sky News Facebook feed to say that he saw Caroline at around 3am being hassled by two youths less in the immediate vicinity. He also claims that he contacted police at the time and after her disappearance he made further calls but was not contacted back.
[modsnip]
I made an effort to contact the chap through Facebook but I assume it has gone to his unfiltered inbox and he has not seen it (It still shows as unread). So I do not know if the police ever got into contact with him. It does seem unlikely that someone would make such a claim publically with his own name to it and on a public news site and not be genuine.
It is just one of the other things about this whole tragic event that does not seem to make sense.
One thing that I think most people who visited the site have noted, and I did too when I visited, was how difficult it would be with the barriers to have just fell in. It is possible to get to an area where you could just drop in, but you would have to make your way well into the abandoned car park to just fall in.

I also do not understand how the police have managed to rule out third party involvement on CCTV alone.
I have never had anything other than good experiences with the police, but unless they have ruled out the two youths as mentioned above the only explanation I can come to is that they were notified on the night and did not respond to the call. Ever since the South Yorkshire police were tarnished with the Rotherham 1400 scandal they have been very public relations careful.

It would however explain why there was an immediately heavy police response to the missing person alert if they were aware that something may have occurred during the night.

People do strange things when drunk (I know I have). But a girl who is allegedly the sensible one who is apparently removed while very drunk. Enough reason for the police to arrest someone on suspicion of rape and then released without charge. Even after separating from him heading the wrong way home (on this I would also suggest that as a Sheffield resident she would have probably have known that the almost equally as close London Road was a much better bet for a taxi that Eccleshall Road and moving closer to home.

There is an awful lot that can be explained away as the odd actions of being drunk or a tragic escalation of circumstances but something about this just does not feel right.

My heart and my thoughts go out to her family and friends. And the temptation is to just let it lie and hope that they can calm themselves with at least their girl died in tragic rather than horrific circumstances ….. And I feel horrible writing this … But I just do not get how the police and confirm no other person with CCTV when it does not cover the area and why they had enough suspicion to take someone for rape and then claim natural circumstances.

Thank you, simonchase, and welcome to Websleuths!!

I also feel there is something not quite right with this case, mainly as I fail to see how Caroline could have accidentally fallen over the wall. Can you clarify it was the taller stone wall/bridge where she fell, and not the lower wall on the flats side of the road?

I think we are all waiting for the final autopsy results - if I recall correctly the initial tests were inconclusive and I assume pending toxicology reports - but I assume the coroner will put it down to misadventure and/or hypothermia.

Let us know if you hear back from Dave H, I am also surprised we never picked that one up!!

Many thanks CoverMeCagney. Am glad to be here. :-)

I was surprised too as I was expecting to find something on it as everything else was so damn thorough.

From what I can tell and heard it was the side opposite the facts, but not 100% definite on that. I was scoping out the site on Sunday afternoon and should have taken some photographs. It is an abandoned car park and from where the road bridge is you walk into the area and there is another overgrown bridge, and the sides of the water have pretty high railings up to and past the second bridge. You have to walk quite far into there to be able to get to an exposed area to drop into. Even if someone was just popping in there for a quick toilet break they would have to make their way in pretty deep in the unlit dark to be able to get to an area they could easily slip into.

In addition (and working from memory) the water below seemed to have many rocks and areas that a body would jam into even if it was quite high in the water. Am working from memory with that one, will have to clarify with a return trip.

Not sure if this is relevant or not but there was evidence that it appears to have been used by rough sleepers as well. There are neglected blankets and sleeping bags.

I think one query that I was actually thinking before I read this and has already been made by @alyce is why the police were searching that area at 3-45am? A fair expanse of the water can be seen from the road and by the side of the flats so that would suggest that the body was deep in the area or hidden under one of the bridges. Either which begs the question of why the police were searching the area at that time and if she was found deep into the area where it easy to slip and fall why was she so deep in?

I find it hard to believe that someone would wonder that deep in what would must have been a deep dark, even with the drunken/drugged state.

I am trying to see if I can find a discreet way of contacting Dave H outside Facebook. It was only recently that I discovered that I had unfiltered mail!!! Damn FB!! J

It is very strange that they were searching so late at night in the dark. I need to go back over the timeline but I'm wondering if Dave H's report was taken seriously and investigated, in conjunction with the CCTV showing the direction she was walking in. My gut feeling was always that someone attacked Caroline and threw her over that bridge (from the photos shown at the time I reckoned her body was just below the bridge wall and not further up where it was be easier to slip in) but then the post mortem would have shown violence so it appears that was not the case. Quite surprised there has been no further news or press releases from the police or family.

PS since you're new I'm pointing you to other UK cases in my sig link below - a few unsolved ones to look at now you've got your detective head on ;)

I have been following the tragic story of Caroline Everest since she was first found.

I am new to the forum and there is a fabulous amount of information on here, and have spent the few days reading through all the pages. I was a little surprised to see that no one had mentioned the chap who claimed to have seen Caroline at around 3am on the night of her disappearance.

He made the comment on the Sky News Facebook feed to say that he saw Caroline at around 3am being hassled by two youths less in the immediate vicinity. He also claims that he contacted police at the time and after her disappearance he made further calls but was not contacted back.
[modsnip]
I made an effort to contact the chap through Facebook but I assume it has gone to his unfiltered inbox and he has not seen it (It still shows as unread). So I do not know if the police ever got into contact with him. It does seem unlikely that someone would make such a claim publically with his own name to it and on a public news site and not be genuine.
It is just one of the other things about this whole tragic event that does not seem to make sense.
One thing that I think most people who visited the site have noted, and I did too when I visited, was how difficult it would be with the barriers to have just fell in. It is possible to get to an area where you could just drop in, but you would have to make your way well into the abandoned car park to just fall in.

I also do not understand how the police have managed to rule out third party involvement on CCTV alone.
I have never had anything other than good experiences with the police, but unless they have ruled out the two youths as mentioned above the only explanation I can come to is that they were notified on the night and did not respond to the call. Ever since the South Yorkshire police were tarnished with the Rotherham 1400 scandal they have been very public relations careful.

It would however explain why there was an immediately heavy police response to the missing person alert if they were aware that something may have occurred during the night.

People do strange things when drunk (I know I have). But a girl who is allegedly the sensible one who is apparently removed while very drunk. Enough reason for the police to arrest someone on suspicion of rape and then released without charge. Even after separating from him heading the wrong way home (on this I would also suggest that as a Sheffield resident she would have probably have known that the almost equally as close London Road was a much better bet for a taxi that Eccleshall Road and moving closer to home.

There is an awful lot that can be explained away as the odd actions of being drunk or a tragic escalation of circumstances but something about this just does not feel right.

My heart and my thoughts go out to her family and friends. And the temptation is to just let it lie and hope that they can calm themselves with at least their girl died in tragic rather than horrific circumstances ….. And I feel horrible writing this … But I just do not get how the police and confirm no other person with CCTV when it does not cover the area and why they had enough suspicion to take someone for rape and then claim natural circumstances.

Welcome to the group and great post!

Many thanks for that @CoverMeCagney. I shall have a peruse J

From all that I have seen I have not caught any info on her being caught on any other camera describing her route to the area, which is odd as there are many that cover the area. It does not take that long to get from Devonshire Green to the area she was last seen. People do move slow in conversation (especially when drunk) and there is the also unsavoury but necessary consideration that on some point there was consensual intimate event. My own personal feeling was that she either knew the person she was walking with or just got engaged in conversation with them……..

…….. Which leads right back to the question of why she went so far in the wrong direction and then parted company and went off on her own (though goodness knows and as traditional as it may seem I cannot understand a man leaving a girl to walk off on their own late at night ….. May be old fashioned of me but….).

I know I got sucked into this because I was having breakfast at the Weatherspoons that is just round the corner and the idea she was lying so close that morning horrifies me. I also know the temptation is always to quiz too much into what is perfectly ordinary and see something that is not there …. But in this case there is just something confusing about it all.

I shall try over the next day or so to pop down there with the camera and see if I can grab some shots that give an idea of how far in she would have to go before there was no significant barrier.

Many thanks CoverMeCagney. Am glad to be here. :-)

I was surprised too as I was expecting to find something on it as everything else was so damn thorough.

From what I can tell and heard it was the side opposite the facts, but not 100% definite on that. I was scoping out the site on Sunday afternoon and should have taken some photographs. It is an abandoned car park and from where the road bridge is you walk into the area and there is another overgrown bridge, and the sides of the water have pretty high railings up to and past the second bridge. You have to walk quite far into there to be able to get to an exposed area to drop into. Even if someone was just popping in there for a quick toilet break they would have to make their way in pretty deep in the unlit dark to be able to get to an area they could easily slip into.

In addition (and working from memory) the water below seemed to have many rocks and areas that a body would jam into even if it was quite high in the water. Am working from memory with that one, will have to clarify with a return trip.

Not sure if this is relevant or not but there was evidence that it appears to have been used by rough sleepers as well. There are neglected blankets and sleeping bags.

I think one query that I was actually thinking before I read this and has already been made by @alyce is why the police were searching that area at 3-45am? A fair expanse of the water can be seen from the road and by the side of the flats so that would suggest that the body was deep in the area or hidden under one of the bridges. Either which begs the question of why the police were searching the area at that time and if she was found deep into the area where it easy to slip and fall why was she so deep in?

I find it hard to believe that someone would wonder that deep in what would must have been a deep dark, even with the drunken/drugged state.

I am trying to see if I can find a discreet way of contacting Dave H outside Facebook. It was only recently that I discovered that I had unfiltered mail!!! Damn FB!! J

bbm

Maybe she was trying to hide from the two guys who reportedly harassed her?

@ Elainera

Now that is a damn good point!!!

It would answer why she went so far in if she was trying to hide!!! Very good point Elainera!! An accident happened because she was running.

As per promise please see the promised photos. I have reduced the quality for easy upload... If any would like any more please let me know and I shall revisit.

attachment.php
The River past the low wall heading East towards the city.
attachment.php
The abandoned car park to the South of the River. Please not no lighting.
attachment.php
This is how far in the dark it takes to get to an area not guarded with an approx five foot barrier. Please note the large mound that is required to be climbed over to get into the car park this side (thought there is a gap in the bush over the second bridge that allows easy access ... But enters an enclosed area which is surrounded by pretty substantial barriers to the river.
attachment.php
The unguarded area deep in the car park.
attachment.php
The second bridge. Please note that I am standing on a three foot mound, but which does not allow extra height to fall over the barrier as is not close enough.

cont next post as I can only upload five at a time. :-)

Attachments

• Don 1.jpg
    Don 1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Don 2.jpg
    Don 2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Don 3.jpg
    Don 3.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Don 4.jpg
    Don 4.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Don 5.jpg
    Don 5.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 191
Cont from previous post as I could only upload five per post.

attachment.php
The barrier and river looking over from the second bridge West.
attachment.php
The barrier from second bridge heading East.
attachment.php
A close up of under the bridge heading East towards the city.

Hope that this helps .... If there is anything other that anyone wishes for a close up or more details view please let me know.

Attachments

• Don 6.jpg
    Don 6.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Don 7.jpg
    Don 7.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Don 8.jpg
    Don 8.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 189
  • A Pianist Print.jpg
    A Pianist Print.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 32
Absolutely ace, Simon, thanks so much (wish you'd been here at the time, would have saved a few posts lol!)

I just feel it's less and less likely that she fell in accidentally, it's sooooo weird. As the autopsy ruled out drowning or any notable injuries (consistent with falling, or otherwise) how on earth did she end up there?

Thanks @CoverMeCagney

I read earlier a suggestion that she had popped in for a toilet break, which I think could have been a possibility. But she would have had to have climbed over a mound and make that long walk in the South Car park to the bridges. If she went into the one on the North over the bridge there is a nice even hole to get into it .... But its pretty secure to the water.

@Elainera Suggestion that she was hiding was also a great and likely idea.

If she was attacked could we assume the possibilities...

a) She was taken in there
b) She was trying to hide and discovered.
c) She went for a toilet break and was either spotted entering or someone was already there.

If she was not attacked we can do down the road of extreme drunkeness? Drugged? Or hypothermia reaction? Which having visited the only physical evidence we have (The location) seems to me unlikely.

I have got to admit that I would prefer some random accident for the sake of the friends and family. When I was there today I was trying to find any easy way she could have slipped in ...... But there was nothing I could come up with.

Hate the idea .... But I still find myself erring on the idea that this was more than misadventure .

Oooops...

Knew there was something. Not sure if I am going to get time to do it for the next few days so thought I would throw it out there in case no one had done it and in case anyone wants to.

Has anyone backtracked the Instagram for the Corporation Sheffield hash tags for that night? Not sure what the hash tag is but should be pretty easy to find out. Was just thinking that if the Instagram for the night was backtracked it could come up with some photos and also link to Facebook of people who were there and if their privacy is low on FB they could have made status statements that may be of interest.

Just a thought if anyone wants to jump on it before I get a chance.

Funeral held for Sheffield student Carrie Everest
19 January 2016

[...]

Hundreds packed into Grenoside Crematorium Chapel earlier to pay their respects to Caroline Everest, known as Carrie.

[...]

"Carrie was very precious, loved by all and, as evidenced in all the cards, messages and thoughts the family has received, had a huge impact on so many.

"They, with the family, will never forget her or her radiant smile."

Just found this on the UK cases thread.. any updates on Carrie? I'm not from Sheffield but have drank in Corp and the Devonshire Cat and couple of times.

One thing the place is infamous for is the 'Quad Vod'. A quadruple measure of vodka and mixer, not sure of the current price but in 2013 it was £2.40 I think. They also have another drink where the 'mixer' is one of the VK flavours. It's an 'alternative/goth/rock' type place so from my very limited experiences, I would say it's more chilled than other clubs, however it's pretty easy to get drunk on the 'house' drinks and not realise quite how drunk you are.

Taxi wise, both times I've been in there, it was easy to get a taxi from the front door, there were quite a few around the entrance.

A student drank the ‘equivalent of 30 shots of vodka’ at a club before stumbling down a steep embankment and falling into water where she died, an inquest heard.

Caroline ‘Carrie’ Everest, 18, was found in a river following a night out at Corporation, in Sheffield, with the coroner concluding alcohol and hypothermia played a part in her death.

She had consumed five pints of a drink called ‘Purple’ (each one includes three shots of vodka).

A post-mortem found she had 252 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of blood and coroner Christopher Dorries said if she had really drunk that amount then she probably consumed 30 shots of vodka in total.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/06/stude...d-stumbling-into-river-5991100/#ixzz4DpCA96I5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back