UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
V interesting.

Has anyone seen anything reported about specifically what caused the fire, other than the car 'breaking down'?

I thought an electrical fault was mentioned but I cant find any note of that in reports from last year - so I will say MOO.

I found this report useful for location and information. So by the time the fire brigade arrived at 6.33pm, C & M were already in a taxi on their way to Liverpool.

On the evening of January 5th firefighters from Bolton Central and Farnworth stations were mobilised to a burning car on the nearby M61. When they arrived at 6.33pm it was engulfed in flames.

It appeared to be a routine case of dousing the flames of a small vehicle after a dramatic fire.
The Peugeot was on the hard shoulder between junctions three and four near Farnworth.
Crews used two hose reels, foam, and lighting equipment to put out the fire over 30 minutes.
the owner of the vehicle was not at the scene.

The vehicle had been bought six days earlier

The couple walked away from the vehicle to Anchor Bridge which links Little Hulton with Highfield.
They paid cash at about 6.30pm to travel by taxi to Liverpool.

Today's live update link

11:21am
Mark Gordon arrives in court
Mar Gordon has arrived in the dock. He is wearing a long sleeved light blue shirt and a dark blue tie.

He was carrying a stack of papers.

11:13am
Constance Marten arrives in court
Constance Marten has arrived in court wearing a black coat, cream top and rust coloured scarf. Her hair is half up in a claw clip and she came in carrying some paper and a button folder with documents inside.

The trial is due to begin shortly.

Not much so far today …

12:02pm

Short break​

We are now taking a short break.

11:43am

Witness called in​

Sarah Hidden, who lives in Seaford, has been called to give evidence on an alleged sighting of the couple near her home in January last year.

11:35am

Jury called in​

The jury has been called in and the trial is due to resume imminently.

I thought an electrical fault was mentioned but I cant find any note of that in reports from last year - so I will say MOO.

I found this report useful for location and information. So by the time the fire brigade arrived at 6.33pm, C & M were already in a taxi on their way to Liverpool.

On the evening of January 5th firefighters from Bolton Central and Farnworth stations were mobilised to a burning car on the nearby M61. When they arrived at 6.33pm it was engulfed in flames.

It appeared to be a routine case of dousing the flames of a small vehicle after a dramatic fire.
The Peugeot was on the hard shoulder between junctions three and four near Farnworth.
Crews used two hose reels, foam, and lighting equipment to put out the fire over 30 minutes.
the owner of the vehicle was not at the scene.

The vehicle had been bought six days earlier

The couple walked away from the vehicle to Anchor Bridge which links Little Hulton with Highfield.
They paid cash at about 6.30pm to travel by taxi to Liverpool.

I think this is the first time I have heard of the date when the Peugeot was bought.

I wonder if they were insured? Can you insure a car when you have no fixed address? The breakdown of the Suzuki left them needing to pick up a car while trying to stay low profile, and the fear of being caught driving without insurance may have added to their haste in rushing off with baby and cat.

Or driving without insurance could have alerted the police to take a closer interest and discover their SS record. The car fire was such a defining moment in this story.

I think this is the first time I have heard of the date when the Peugeot was bought.

I wonder if they were insured? Can you insure a car when you have no fixed address? The breakdown of the Suzuki left them needing to pick up a car while trying to stay low profile, and the fear of being caught driving without insurance may have added to their haste in rushing off with baby and cat.

Or driving without insurance could have alerted the police to take a closer interest and discover their SS record. The car fire was such a defining moment in this story.

Also, they didn't have the luxury of time to pick and choose the second car and do a thorough check. They had to grab the best available in the shortest possible time. Which might have had a bearing on the resulting fire, if the car was not in great condition.

Is it just me or are there a lot of people who claim to have seen two high profile missing people, but they didn't call the police until weeks later? Once they knew the baby was dead
A bit of a cynical question I know, but could this have had anything to do with it?

A bit of a cynical question I know, but could this have had anything to do with it?

I'm also a cynical old sod.

While the reward would be part of it, normal people don't need that sort of money to convince them to report a sighting of a missing baby.

I was thinking more of the people who thought SS were being evil racist baby snatchers and CM & MG should be left alone. It was only once the baby was found dead that reality dawned on them and they came forward.

But maybe they did report it in a timely manner and I'm just being unreasonably cynical.

Could also be the police were overwhelmed with "sightings" and therefore it took ages to work out who actually might have seen MG and CM.

ETA: their early movements were long distance and unpredictable, plus police believed they had access to cash so perhaps they didn't really think they'd have stayed in the area in a tent!!!

I'm also a cynical old sod.

While the reward would be part of it, normal people don't need that sort of money to convince them to report a sighting of a missing baby.

I was thinking more of the people who thought SS were being evil racist baby snatchers and CM & MG should be left alone. It was only once the baby was found dead that reality dawned on them and they came forward.

But maybe they did report it in a timely manner and I'm just being unreasonably cynical.
You can bet your bottom dollar that the defence counsel will try and make the most of the reward being offered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soloinsight