Recovered/Located UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon & Newborn, left a broken down car on motorway, Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
Police are searching for a couple who have gone missing with their newborn baby after their car broke down on a motorway.
Constance Marten and Mark Gordon left the car near junction four of the M61 near Bolton on Thursday night and walked towards Anchor Lane bridge, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.
Officers believe Ms Marten had recently given birth and neither she nor her baby had seen medical professionals.
They are appealing for information.
The bridge the couple walked towards links the Highfield and Little Hulton areas.

I'm virtually certain that the mother in this case is a photojournalist who previously worked for Al Jazeera. Her website (now defunct) is archived here. It includes links to social media profiles that are still online, though not updated in years; the woman in the Facebook photos is almost definitely the same person in the police handout. She goes by the nickname Toots and has other children (presumably they're safe and accounted for). It looks like Mark Gordon could be the father of the older kids as well as the missing newborn.

I'd usually expect these kinds of details to be in a missing-persons story, but the information in the media and police statements has been scanty. Something feels very odd here.

Where they were headed isn’t that far from Royal Bolton Hospital. I hope they were headed there. There aren’t any large bodies of water or rivers on the route. It’s very odd and worrisome.

<mod snip - no link for screenshot>

Last edited by a moderator:
Where they were headed isn’t that far from Royal Bolton Hospital. I hope they were headed there. There aren’t any large bodies of water or rivers on the route. It’s very odd and worrisome.
I did wonder if the baby was born suddenly (<modsnip - no link> and they made their own way to hospital because of the ambulance shortage. If there's a 999 call on record, that could explain how police know about the birth. Very worrying.

I did wonder if the baby was born suddenly<modsnip - no link> and they made their own way to hospital because of the ambulance shortage. If there's a 999 call on record, that could explain how police know about the birth. Very worrying.
I would have thought with a car broken down on the hard shoulder that police could come out and take mum and baby to hospital?

But there's mention of baby being swaddled, so I thought perhaps someone might have seen them on their journey away from the car. If they made a 999 call and couldn't get an ambulance maybe that's where the swaddling info comes from?

ETA does that hospital have a maternity unit? Or would they try to head for a specific maternity unit elsewhere?

I was thinking they might have called 999 from home and been told, "An ambulance won't get there for hours, make your own way to hospital" (this is very common in the UK at the moment). Then the breakdown happened, but events after that don't make sense. It does seem that someone saw them and the baby afterward.

Edit: Royal Bolton has both a maternity ward and A&E - don't know which would be advised in this situation.

I'm virtually certain that the mother in this case is a photojournalist who previously worked for Al Jazeera. Her website (now defunct) is archived here. It includes links to social media profiles that are still online, though not updated in years; the woman in the Facebook photos is almost definitely the same person in the police handout. She goes by the nickname Toots and has other children (presumably they're safe and accounted for). It looks like Mark Gordon could be the father of the older kids as well as the missing newborn.

I'd usually expect these kinds of details to be in a missing-persons story, but the information in the media and police statements has been scanty. Something feels very odd here.

Those kind of personal details are not included in missing persons stories in Canada, and generally not in the UK either. Police around here release nothing more than the person's name, description and last known location, so it seems a bit personal and unnecessary to post that the new mom had not received medical attention.

If the mom was in the hospital now, would the hospital release the information to LE in a missing person's case like this?

Those kind of personal details are not included in missing persons stories in Canada, and generally not in the UK either. Police around here release nothing more than the person's name, description and last known location, so it seems a bit personal and unnecessary to post that the new mom had not received medical attention.

If the mom was in the hospital now, would the hospital release the information to LE in a missing person's case like this?
BBM--Yes, this is common here when a female goes missing immediately after an unattended birth. So I would take from that that baby had been born very close to the car breakdown and disappearance.

A hospital should tell police that they have a person or have seen them so that police know the situation. Actual medical details should not be made public is all. But there are legitimate reasons for a brand new mum and infant to have a medical check-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IdreamofJeannie