Recovered/Located UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon & Newborn, left a broken down car on motorway, Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm virtually certain that the mother in this case is a photojournalist who previously worked for Al Jazeera. Her website (now defunct) is archived here. It includes links to social media profiles that are still online, though not updated in years; the woman in the Facebook photos is almost definitely the same person in the police handout. She goes by the nickname Toots and has other children (presumably they're safe and accounted for). It looks like Mark Gordon could be the father of the older kids as well as the missing newborn.

I'd usually expect these kinds of details to be in a missing-persons story, but the information in the media and police statements has been scanty. Something feels very odd here.
The photos in the article look like mugshots to me

I noticed this quote on the Manchester Evening News website made by an investigating officer;

"Constance, I know this is an exceptionally hard time for you and you are likely feeling scared but I promise that our number one priority is the same as yours – to keep your beautiful new born safe."

Do you think they were threatened by someone and went on the run and, what would make her give birth without any medical treatment?

I noticed this quote on the Manchester Evening News website made by an investigating officer;

"Constance, I know this is an exceptionally hard time for you and you are likely feeling scared but I promise that our number one priority is the same as yours – to keep your beautiful new born safe."

Do you think they were threatened by someone and went on the run and, what would make her give birth without any medical treatment?

Any number of reasons but often due to mental health issues, or history of drug and/or alcohol abuse or having had other children taken away due to neglect, and possibly same likely to pertain to this one, or could be the partner not deemed safe to be around children.

All speculation as we do not know the motives in this particular case.

Think the Indie have been looking on here? ;)

A mother missing with her partner and newborn baby belongs to an aristocratic family which used to own a sprawling country estate and has close links to the royal family.

Constance Marten, 35, is the granddaughter of Mary Anna Marten, a British Museum trustee whose godmother was the late Queen Mother, and who used to own the Crichel estate in Dorset.

They broke down/abandoned their car in my local area, so I've been following this for a few days.

I will say if it was just a case of they'd run away from Social Services then there would not be as much national press regarding this story. Parents running to avoid Social Services intervention is fairly common and does not result in this coverage. So I suspect there is a lot more to this story than we are being told....it will all come out eventually I guess! Moo

They broke down/abandoned their car in my local area, so I've been following this for a few days.

I will say if it was just a case of they'd run away from Social Services then there would not be as much national press regarding this story. Parents running to avoid Social Services intervention is fairly common and does not result in this coverage. So I suspect there is a lot more to this story than we are being told....it will all come out eventually I guess! Moo
Not sure about that, I’ve been a children’s social worker for a decade and while it would perhaps seem surprising, I’ve never heard of anyone running like this. It’s certainly not at all common and would attract coverage even if only local.

Not sure about that, I’ve been a children’s social worker for a decade and while it would perhaps seem surprising, I’ve never heard of anyone running like this. It’s certainly not at all common and would attract coverage even if only local.
I've not been a social worker for as long as you tbf, but I have seen a fair few families who have moved from area to area to avoid involvement.

I guess the odd thing with this case is it did go national so quickly, rather than staying a local story.

A LEADING detective has appealed directly to a mother who has disappeared with her newborn baby to come forward.Detectives believe missing mum and newborn baby were last seen in Colchester

Detective Chief Inspector Rob Huddleston, who is leading the search, said officers have a “number of confirmed sightings” in Colchester.

Detectives visited every hotel and bed and breakfast in Colchester overnight on Monday to establish whether the family had stayed with them.

<modsnip - no more than 10% of an article may be copied>

Police officers delivered leaflets across Colchester yesterday to familiarise residents with the faces of the missing trio.

Mr Huddleston added: “We don’t want to impose our search on these people. We want to make sure the newborn baby is alive and well and that Constance doesn’t need any medical help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extra details from ITV:

In his latest update, Det Ch Insp Rob Huddleston confirmed the infant was "less than a week old", meaning the new mother would have given birth within hours of the breakdown on the M61. [....]

"We don't know why they might be avoiding detection," he said. "We know they have travelled from Manchester through Liverpool and down into Essex. Why that is, we don't know.

"We have already spoken to the ports and they haven't made any effort to go through Harwich."

This case is like a Talking Heads song, it stops making sense.

Last edited:
I do think it's odd how there's been no posts from their families or friends in light of their disappearance - normally there'd be tabloid articles written about someone's mum pleading for their safe return. makes me wonder if she/both are estranged from their families?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dibbledabble