UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"A common misconception is that a Faraday cage provides full blockage or attenuation; this is not true. The reception or transmission of radio waves, a form of electromagnetic radiation, to or from an antenna within a Faraday cage is heavily attenuated or blocked by the cage."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Also, as mentioned above, tests carried out by the police were said to be "inconclusive" as to whether a bin lorry (often with a partly open back and even if not, certainly not a "fully enclosed" metal box) would act as a Faraday cage or not.

You mean you feel it was unhelpful to mention the "3 local men" as in he shouldn't have made such comments publicly? I think it's certainly helpful to armchair sleuths but if you meant in terms of giving those people a heads up that they're possibly in the frame, then I think I can understand what you mean, even if I'm not necessarily in full agreement.

ETA:

There only has to be motive for a punch/beating/"teaching a lesson", not necessarily any intent to kill.

Yes I do think things like that are unhelpful and possibly damaging to any case that may come out of this. Trial by media is never a good thing, as we have discussed before. Speculation is fine but oversteps the line when resorting to naming as with the bin man for instance in the media.
I remember when we were speculating about a silver car. We were told we didn't need to speculate about that any more so we haven't done. But who knows? Only the police know the full story here. As for giving people a heads up they're in the frame, we don't know that at all because we have no evidence just speculation. If we have evidence, or indeed suspicions we phone it in.

Maybe they're THAT sure that he will be in the landfill that's why they closing the 50k, if they're almost certain they'll find him why would they give 50k away

The fact his family is going to visit to site scares me, surely that means he's there? The next 10 weeks are going be hell waiting for news

That's why they need to speed it up. That's just too long and drawn out to contemplate.

this case is very unusual. If this case were in the USA we would probably have very little if any cctv video. Certainly not good quality. We might catch a glimpse of someone if they walk near an atm, or perhaps inside stores. So if there was no cctv to show C moving around town, we would only have the cell phone data. We probably would not be able to associate it with the HS or the lorry...

I think if there is a police weakness, and i say if, it might be they have made some assumptions and will not give them up. Such as he could not leave the HS on foot unobserved by cctv. and that the bin weight was correct. There might be others. In cases where a crime or mysterious disappearance is not solved in a timely manner, and years later some cold case detective reopens it, the solution is often right there in the files. some name, some tip, some circumstance noted by the original investigators but not followed up. I am not saying it happened here...but the landfill search sounds like one of those leads that almost got filed away because they were convinced it was not likely. I still think he is in a field though, dead of an accident, north of BSE more east than west. Some farmer or hiker will probably find him in the late spring or early summer sadly.
You're probably right. But when he is found they will still say "but how did he get out of the horseshoe?"

I dread to think how many bodies they will find if it's that easy

With this still being a missing person inquiry (with all the funding and investigatory limitations this brings), there's no crime to actually arrest anybody for as yet.

JMO but I think a criminal investigation should be announced ASAP to enable the police to start questioning under caution (though I guess the finding of a body in this search might be what they're banking on before announcing a formal criminal investigation)

First post here, having read a number of WS threads and become increasingly fascinated with the contributions and analysis on this thread and a number of other interesting ones.

Apologies if this has been covered in one of the numerous previous threads, but an unrelated article that I read over the weekend set me thinking.

It seems that it can be possible, with sufficient resources, motivation and assistance, to disappear completely and resurface somewhere, somehow else.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/11/thought-smarter-everybody-kgb-spy-jack-barsky

TMI warning.

I've been pondering why there would appear to have been no forensic trace of Corrie in this new general waste bin that went to landfill, and can only assume that it was a bin from either Greggs or the Thonton's cafe. Bins from either would involve organic materials subject to biological decay. If from Greggs in particular, it seems likely that he was surrounded by meat products gently going off prior to collection and masking any post-mortem smells from him and therefore confusing the cadaver dogs as well.

in a research study cadaver dogs were exposed to carpet squares as an odour tansporting media after they had been contaminated with the scent of two recently deceased bodies (bodies less than 3 hours old)

they were exposed to scent for 2 minutes as well as 10 minutes. there was no direct contact between the corpse and the carpet squares,

after the 35 days the dog who was exposed to 2 minutes with the carpet square could identify it at 90% accuracy.

after 65 days the dog could positively identify the carpet square a 91% accuracy.

http://dogsdontlie.com/main/2008/12/cadaver-dogs-how-reliable-are-they-at-detecting-death/

My point is- these dogs are so highly trained and competent that they are not going to put off by rotten sausage rolls from Greggs.

The head on picture of the cyclist.

Is the cyclist carrying a dog lead in his left hand and he is pretending to be out looking for a dog?

First post here, having read a number of WS threads and become increasingly fascinated with the contributions and analysis on this thread and a number of other interesting ones.

Apologies if this has been covered in one of the numerous previous threads, but an unrelated article that I read over the weekend set me thinking.

It seems that it can be possible, with sufficient resources, motivation and assistance, to disappear completely and resurface somewhere, somehow else.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/11/thought-smarter-everybody-kgb-spy-jack-barsky

That's a fascinating story!

Barsky never had photos of him circulated in the US though. He had the KGB do all the planning for every time he left the country with passports and legends. It wouldn't be that easy to get a social security number over here. Once in the US 'Barsky' wasn't hiding from anyone, he was trying to 'be' someone and create an identity rather than lose an identity, because he'd never had an identity in the USA.

Going through all that unassisted by an infrastructure (KGB) while having your picture circulated in media, papers, TV, and not having training to cover your tracks every day, that would be something very different.

There are people who've run away from their old life who live amongst us. They've managed the transition successfully, but 9/10 of them don't have massive media campaigns hunting them down, they don't worry about the checkout girl in the supermarket going home and turning on the telly and seeing their image. And if they are found, worst case scenario they just tell the police they've moved on and that they don't want contact with their family who reported them missing. I have no idea what those people do for things like social security number, driver's license and things like that.

And if we're talking about someone who's run from an abusive environment, they might even be able to confide in someone who recognises them. But when it's a serving member of the armed forces, and then it comes out that they've left behind a pregnant girlfriend who won't be able to tell her child where his/her daddy is and why he's not around .... in Corrie's case there's a lot more motivation for someone to recognise him and 'shop' him to the police.

I live in an apartment with communal bins that get picked up every Tuesday at about 7am, I woke up before they got chance to wake me up this morning so I watched them (they're trucks and bins like biffa). Two men got out, pushed the bins level with the thing that pulls it up, didn't check under the lid atall, intact one of them lit a *advertiser censored*. Also when I put my own rubbish in these bins I only look in if Its empty so to make sure I place the bag in so any glass jars don't make too much noise. I'm polite though, most people in the apartments make it sound like they've thrown it from their front door. Also, I used to work in the Woolworths cafe and I NEVER looked in the bins when putting the rubbish out, it ponged enough around them. If C was in a bin he could've been missed, getting to landfill though, surely who ever emptied the load would notice a 5ft 10/11 body in white and pink amongst buns and sausage rolls? Makes no sense

Wonder why N wants to visit site? Maybe understand more whats involved or get a motherly sense that he is there. I hope they are/forensically searchinh a car as imo he left in a car. Its like my mind says car, but when i think of landfill i get a terrible sinking filling in my gut.:(

I live in an apartment with communal bins that get picked up every Tuesday at about 7am, I woke up before they got chance to wake me up this morning so I watched them (they're trucks and bins like biffa). Two men got out, pushed the bins level with the thing that pulls it up, didn't check under the lid atall, intact one of them lit a *advertiser censored*. Also when I put my own rubbish in these bins I only look in if Its empty so to make sure I place the bag in so any glass jars don't make too much noise. I'm polite though, most people in the apartments make it sound like they've thrown it from their front door. Also, I used to work in the Woolworths cafe and I NEVER looked in the bins when putting the rubbish out, it ponged enough around them. If C was in a bin he could've been missed, getting to landfill though, surely who ever emptied the load would notice a 5ft 10/11 body in white and pink amongst buns and sausage rolls? Makes no sense

No offence to the workers but they are probably working on autopilot and paying little notice to the bin lorry contents when being emptied. Unless of course they are given prior warning to look out for someone or something.

Thank you to all of you for caring about Corrie I have been very impressed with everyone's methodical analysis of the different scenarios over the threads.

It is a terribly sad situation especially with Corrie soon to be a dad it must be hellish for his family. I can't imagine visiting the landfill knowing your son and partner might be buried in there.

i dont think its abormal to want to go to that place - where maybe her son is to be found. if you are missing someone so bad - no matter how painful the experience - you might go the last place that person was or that you were together - why did all the americans and other people go to the site of 9/11 while it was still being searched? just the same eh?

Tbh i think N was hoping C would be found before all his private life was all laid to bare, but sadly the time its taken to get a positive lead, no body, everything has been exposed. Its all so terribly sad. He seemed a lovely guy, very goodlooking, happy go lucky a colourful and fun sex life, a respectable job, cool car a loving family now a baby on the way. Why would he want to disappear?? I cant go with Awol. Was someone jealous of him, yeah i think quite possibly.

I dont think it was this article but the point was similar. I've read that many i'm not sure myself now.

First let me say, i have nothing but respect for the UK and the British people, but I have a question. Seems the police are too darn polite. If american cops wanted to search a landfill, they would arrive in force, search warrant in hand and start digging. They would not be warning the locals that they might have to shut their windows due to smell, or cancel their outdoor activities. I almost think this culture of politeness has slowed this entire investigation. Maybe I watch too much tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimimaria