UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think comments from social media sites are acceptable but Mods will clarify, hopefully.

I know, I agree, I always go on about social media comments being rubbish, I appologise for posting its not helpful :)

I think but don't quote me NU said it wasn't unknown. Somewhere in the distant past it rings a bell in one of the interviews somewhere.

Wow just wow, this didn't need to go on this long if that's true, NU should've made the police aware of Corrie's past behaviour and the police should've realised the only probable and very very likely explanation was him being in a bloody bin and that the weights were wrong and somebody was lying to them.

This is another Tia Sharp size screw up by a GB police force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they knew that then why didn't they just say that could have been a possibility. Instead of this wild goose chase, outing innocent people seen on cctv, pointing suspicion at drivers, cyclists, taxi drivers, take away workers, sex swingers etc etc.

If this turns out to be a case of misadventure some people are literally going to sue the hell out of someone. Starting with the police for being incompetent from the get go.

As for the BIB, trying to find potential witnesses is routine. It happens in hundreds of cases. I don't see it as "outing" anyone or pointing suspicion at them. They have simply asked people to come forward in case they saw something that might be relevant - that was made very clear.

The walking home was explored first then the third party vehicles (where does that stand now OBE or what?), witness tracing and interviewing and the landfill, understandably the last resort really.

As for the BIB, trying to find potential witnesses is routine. It happens in hundreds of cases. I don't see it as "outing" anyone or pointing suspicion at them. They have simply asked people to come forward in case they saw something that might be relevant - that was made very clear.

Ok, yes I see your point. But it didn't stop people speculating suspicion at everyone and anyone did it.

If they knew that then why didn't they just say that could have been a possibility. Instead of this wild goose chase, outing innocent people seen on cctv, pointing suspicion at drivers, cyclists, taxi drivers, take away workers, sex swingers etc etc.

If this turns out to be a case of misadventure some people are literally going to sue the hell out of someone. Starting with the police for being incompetent from the get go.

Well there is another question? I would say don't forget NU is a serving Police Officer what she has done is kept her son in the headlines probably against any type of police protocol if HM forces is anything to go by. She has been very brave under very sad personal circumstances in that she has put her self in the limelight and is questioning and highlighting all sorts of things. That really has to be admired. Meanwhile the poor woman has probably gone back to work as a PLO knowing that each family has every right to ask questions and not to believe everything they are told by LE (not forgetting she is LE) how the hell you cope with that objectively is beyond me.

and also the family were adamant that he had been taken at the start, that would not fit in with the landfill,
I agree, they were sure that he wasn't in the bin lorry but that's because they were repeatedly told that there is no way he could have passed through the process and the bin weight of 11kgs they said proved he wasn't in the bin. I also agree that they did think he had possibly been taken and pushed other angles as well, which is probably normal to think of every possibility. Does anyone find it strange that UT has been so quiet?

Approved SM Pages/Profiles

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)

***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.

The Rules - Social Media

I've seen a few posts questioning how the mistake could be made. I've got a little experience in a similar(ish) industry. For a few years up to a decade ago I worked as a developer for a distribution firm - we distributed and collected goods from retail customers. As part of my last project there I wrote software interfacing with the companies weighbridges at their depots. When a van left the depot the driver would enter his ID and the ID of the "round" (the set of retailers he was delivering to) on a keypad and drive over the weighbridge. Being antique by 2007 standards this would be wired up by RS485 to a dot matrix printer. The printouts would then be archived (my mini-project was to parse the output and load it into a database instead). The printouts themselves were quite opaque, full of various figures and acronyms as well as the ID's the driver entered, and were fun to track down if an accident occurred and we needed to know

Now I'm sure that Biffa's IT isn't cottage industry like that, but it gives an insight into how mistakes could happen. We know that the fact the customer wasn't charged by weight was a causal factor in the error occurring. What that suggests to me is that if they were, the driver would have keyed the weight into some kind of track and trace system, perhaps after scanning a barcode or something on the bin. But in the absence of that data, they maybe needed to look at the raw output from the weighing device, which may have been more difficult to interpret.

I can see several possible causes of error:
* A simple misunderstanding of scale (e.g. 11.2kg instead of 112kg). Given that Corrie weighed about 85kg confirmation bias may have come into play - the wrong figure was in the right ballpark
* Picking the wrong figure - Biffas IT might consolidate various data for a given Customer/Pickup and the wrong one was pulled off - say the actual amount of cardboard recovered
* Round/Route data changing. Given that there is some degree of manual process involved here it may be that we are looking at, say, Stop 2 on Round 43. But in the intervening period there were route changes - the horseshoe is now Stop 6 on round 45. So the wrong figure was picked up that way - which wouldn't have happened if the weight was recorded for billing purposes, and cross referenced correctly automatically on their IT systems.

I'm sure there's lots more ways things could legitimately go wrong, and the specifics of Biffas systems and processes will determine that. What I'd like to know is two things:
* Did the error involve just the weight, or the van/driver/bin too? Shireslueth had an excellent post a few pages back where he correctly pointed out that it wasn't just the weight which pointed away from corrie being in the bin.
* It seems that this new information is as a result of refocusing on the landfill, not the cause. So what was?

I think the most likely outcome of this will be that Corrie woke up cold, still wanted to drive home in the morning so got into the cardboard bin (the cleanest there). But it's still far from a certainty.

Ok, yes I see your point. But it didn't stop people speculating suspicion at everyone and anyone did it.

I think we've been relatively reserved. The bin man got it in the neck a bit but we weren't the ones who incorrectly named him. Now we have to continue being reserved in our judgements IMO.

I think we've been relatively reserved. The bin man got it in the neck a bit but we weren't the ones who incorrectly named him. Now we have to continue being reserved in our judgements IMO.

There was people naming fingers and pointing names left and and forward...

This has been high profile and I honestly don't know how Nicola has coped. Its been awful for her and the family. Its every parents absolute worst nightmare and she is a model mother who I admire so much. She has done everything in her power and beyond. I hope they find Corrie soon so they can have some peace.

I'm not aware of anyone caught on CCTV who appeared to be doing anything they need be ashamed of, so the opinions of the ignorant are irrelevant. Would you prefer that the police didn't make any effort to find witnesses?

I'm not aware of anyone caught on CCTV who appeared to be doing anything they need be ashamed of, so the opinions of the ignorant are irrelevant. Would you prefer that the police didn't make any effort to find witnesses?

Lets end it there I think. Moot opinions. All we all want is Corrie found and his family to have an end to this utter torment. Every time I see Nicola in an interview I want to jump through the TV and give her a hug. Its utterly heartbreaking.

I suppose the question is who did ?

Apologies if already discussed, but there's supposed to be a police press conference later today.
I'm restricted at the moment regarding what searches I can do so can anyone find details of what time it's exected?

It's mentioned here on this BBC Live page in the 'Summary' box on the left hand side but I can't read the full page for some reason.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-suffolk-38974780

Apologies if already discussed, but there's supposed to be a police press conference later today.
I'm restricted at the moment regarding what searches I can do so can anyone find details of what time it's exected?

It's mentioned here on this BBC Live page in the 'Summary' box on the left hand side but I can't read the full page for some reason.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-suffolk-38974780

The most recent update (13.09) on that page says at the end:

"Then, at 15:00, we will be speaking to Suffolk Police to get its thoughts on the big development in the case."

That might be it? Can't see any other mention of police speaking to press, other than the bit on the left that you mentioned.

Lets end it there I think. Moot opinions. All we all want is Corrie found and his family to have an end to this utter torment. Every time I see Nicola in an interview I want to jump through the TV and give her a hug. Its utterly heartbreaking.

I think at this point we have to be really grateful that we are NOT allowed to have unrestricted discussions or name names outside of MSM etc. Can you imagine what we could've / would've done with unofficial info?!?!?!

Thanks to the policies of Websleuths and the mods for enforcing them, frankly. Some of the stuff I've read elsewhere has been shocking and defamatory, and, while we get frustrated by the rules here sometimes, this case is a prime example of why our forum works better than most.

The most recent update (13.09) on that page says at the end:

"Then, at 15:00, we will be speaking to Suffolk Police to get its thoughts on the big development in the case."

That might be it? Can't see any other mention of police speaking to press, other than the bit on the left that you mentioned.

Thank you! I've just looked at the page again and it says 1500 up near the top where I can see it.

Eta - not sure it will be an actual press conference, more like the police speaking separately to certain media outlets.

BBC News - Missing CorrieMckeague: Airman 'will be found in landfill', says mother

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-39200319

Mrs Urquhart said: "We know we are going to find Corrie in the landfill."

The walking home was explored first then the third party vehicles (where does that stand now OBE or what?), witness tracing and interviewing and the landfill, understandably the last resort really.

Yes, exactly. I haven't followed this case closely in the intervening months, but certainly in the early stages the main theory was that he had set out to walk home. In which case the priority was to search the route in case he was lying somewhere injured but alive. Alternatively that he might have been picked up by a driver who did him harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member