UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, exactly. I haven't followed this case closely in the intervening months, but certainly in the early stages the main theory was that he had set out to walk home. In which case the priority was to search the route in case he was lying somewhere injured but alive. Alternatively that he might have been picked up by a driver who did him harm.

But that wasn't possible as he had not been seen on CCTV leaving the HS or BSE.

I think at this point we have to be really grateful that we are NOT allowed to have unrestricted discussions or name names outside of MSM etc. Can you imagine what we could've / would've done with unofficial info?!?!?!

Thanks to the policies of Websleuths and the mods for enforcing them, frankly. Some of the stuff I've read elsewhere has been shocking and defamatory, and, while we get frustrated by the rules here sometimes, this case is a prime example of why our forum works better than most.

Are you talking about people seen on CCTV? People naming them on Facebook, that sort of thing?

But that wasn't possible as he had not been seen on CCTV leaving the HS or BSE.

I'm sure that hadn't been established in the earliest days.
Have you forgotten all the searches made over the countryside surrrounding the route back to his base?

I'm sure that hadn't been established in the earliest days.

Im sure it was, the police saying that he could have left on foot as he would have been seen on at least one CCTV, that left us with: vehicle

24 Sep 2016: Corrie could not have left on foot: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?324701-UK-Corrie-McKeague-23-Bury-St-Edmunds-24-September-2016-11&p=13031655&styleid=21

If the bin collection guy was inexperienced and say recorded 111kg - maybe one of the guys in the office thought "Ah, he's got that wrong - must be 11." And then maybe changed it so it fell in with usual recordings.

I don't know... very sad mistake however it's happened. I so hope he's not in the landfill after all this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's possible but I don't think for a moment that the person in the office would then totally forgot that they'd done it.

It's either a one off or a regular occurance and if it's a regular occurance I believe an office person would have mentioned it before nearly 6 months had passed.

IMO the reason for the wrong weight won't be due to someone thinking 100+kg was wrong, the office person could have claimed the reward for that I;d say

JMO

It was reported on 3rd October (in the Telegraph) that the bin lorry had been seized for more than a week. That's more than five months ago. How did they check the lorry and did someone basically tell them the bin weighed 11kgs and they accepted that in good faith? Surely for the avoidance of any doubt they should have checked this thoroughly. Had they done so and found the 'error' earlier the landfill could have been searched by now. All the money wasted on wild goose chases, the special agency brought in, people named and shamed who are innocent - surlely they could have found this out sooner?

That's possible but I don't think for a moment that the person in the office would then totally forgot that they'd done it.

It's either a one off or a regular occurance and if it's a regular occurance I believe an office person would have mentioned it before nearly 6 months had passed.

IMO the reason for the wrong weight won't be due to someone thinking 100+kg was wrong, the office person could have claimed the reward for that I;d say

JMO

The police taking the weight at face value was the issue IMO. Of course he hasn't been found yet and who know what direction this case will go next.

It was reported on 3rd October (in the Telegraph) that the bin lorry had been seized for more than a week. That's more than five months ago. How did they check the lorry and did someone basically tell them the bin weighed 11kgs and they accepted that in good faith? Surely for the avoidance of any doubt they should have checked this thoroughly. Had they done so and found the 'error' earlier the landfill could have been searched by now. All the money wasted on wild goose chases, the special agency brought in, people named and shamed who are innocent - surlely they could have found this out sooner?

Yep and by 26 September the police knew that he could not have left on foot unseen.

That left us with him leaving in a vehicle from the HS.

His phone pings followed the course of the bin lorry and yet the police didn't follow up. (landfill search)

I support the police but they messed up right at the start.

Are you talking about people seen on CCTV? People naming them on Facebook, that sort of thing?

Yes, and the name of practically every member of nightclub staff along with family details, addresses, places of work, previous misdemeanours, screenshots of their social media etc. And yeah, I myself have sleuthed and discussed these people privately, but boy am I glad I never printed their names anywhere.

Ladies and gentleman, I bring you Christopher Jefferies... his ordeal changed the way our media reports I think. It's a difficult one because of course a potential murderer / rapist might need to be outed to see if other people come forward with clues or whatever. I just personally don't think the arrested Biffa guy should have been named, though at least nobody accused him of being a killer.

How do we know the 'new' weight is correct? How have they only just found this out? If it was a genuine error then why did they arrest the dispatcher. I would be intrigued to know how they discovered the error, why it has taken this long to find out and another question is did he get into the bin by himself or was he put in by someone else. There are so many twists and turns, mistakes and so much time and money wasted when all along he has probably been at the landfill. I would also like to know if the special agency that was contracted found anything or if this latest revelation is simply down to the bin collection company admitting the error in the wake of the search beginning at the landfill

Yep and by 26 September the police knew that he could not have left on foot unseen.

That left us with him leaving in a vehicle from the HS.

His phone pings followed the course of the bin lorry and yet the police didn't follow up.

I support the police but they messed up right at the start.

I agree and I also normally support the Police but there are multiple failings here. The family deserve a public apology from SP. As you say, the phone pings, the lorry in the HS soon after C going in, not seen on CCTV etc etc. They could have and should have done more. It has taken too long to discover that the weight was wrong.

I think that was an excellent post by carbuncle.

If the bin weight was 109kg, then someone could have misread that as 10.9, which would then have been rounded to 11kg, the number we were originally told.

My concept would be an onboard system that would read the bin ID and then automatically add the weight for later input to a computer at the 'home base', and these numbers could then be compared with weighbridge results. This way, Biffa could have just given the police a readout which clearly gave the actual weight, with no human writing numbers down in the dark or maybe semi-legibly as they're in a rush or accidentally missing or adding a decimal point. This would have saved the investigation months and they could have been doing the landfill search back in November or December (assuming the cost would be covered).

But that doesn't help a bin driver? I don't think there's a complete solution to this. Before the bin's tipped the onboard system could run a check if it was filled with averages for each bin, which would have to be downloaded from the home base system and updated regularly, and then anything more than xx kilos over the average could flash a red light to the driver to have a good look inside.

But what if someone's thrown a baby in a bin? You're never going to catch everything. A baby's weight would be within tolerance even for a recycling bin. And it's an expensive solution to have this system on every lorry -- credit to Biffa for the existing camera system if it's actually being used by the drivers, and I believe it's caught at least one person in time to save him.

I don't know. What if someone had thrown an old sofa in the bin as a way of flytipping it and the police had spent 3 months searching landfill and Corrie was somewhere else? Even if they'd had the correct weight at the outset, they had to investigate other things as well. I expect the 'bin industry' (waste management industry?) will have an inquiry or something after this and see if there's more that they can be doing, but I can't really see this as a time for recriminations or searching for someone to blame.

Yes, and the name of practically every member of nightclub staff along with family details, addresses, places of work, previous misdemeanours, screenshots of their social media etc. And yeah, I myself have sleuthed and discussed these people privately, but boy am I glad I never printed their names anywhere.

Ladies and gentleman, I bring you Christopher Jefferies... his ordeal changed the way our media reports I think. It's a difficult one because of course a potential murderer / rapist might need to be outed to see if other people come forward with clues or whatever. I just personally don't think the arrested Biffa guy should have been named, though at least nobody accused him of being a killer.

But the Biffa employee was named in the MSM so the CJ business changed nothing there. Thus it also passed the WS filter.

I think that was an excellent post by carbuncle.

If the bin weight was 109kg, then someone could have misread that as 10.9, which would then have been rounded to 11kg, the number we were originally told.

My concept would be an onboard system that would read the bin ID and then automatically add the weight for later input to a computer at the 'home base', and these numbers could then be compared with weighbridge results. This way, Biffa could have just given the police a readout which clearly gave the actual weight, with no human writing numbers down in the dark or maybe semi-legibly as they're in a rush or accidentally missing or adding a decimal point. This would have saved the investigation months and they could have been doing the landfill search back in November or December (assuming the cost would be covered).

But that doesn't help a bin driver? I don't think there's a complete solution to this. Before the bin's tipped the onboard system could run a check if it was filled with averages for each bin, which would have to be downloaded from the home base system and updated regularly, and then anything more than xx kilos over the average could flash a red light to the driver to have a good look inside.

But what if someone's thrown a baby in a bin? You're never going to catch everything. A baby's weight would be within tolerance even for a recycling bin. And it's an expensive solution to have this system on every lorry -- credit to Biffa for the existing camera system if it's actually being used by the drivers, and I believe it's caught at least one person in time to save him.

I don't know. What if someone had thrown an old sofa in the bin as a way of flytipping it and the police had spent 3 months searching landfill and Corrie was somewhere else? Even if they'd had the correct weight at the outset, they had to investigate other things as well. I expect the 'bin industry' (waste management industry?) will have an inquiry or something after this and see if there's more that they can be doing, but I can't really see this as a time for recriminations or searching for someone to blame.

Forward looking infrared (FLIR) or thermal systems could check contents for heat signature before crushing. Expensive though.

The most recent update (13.09) on that page says at the end:

"Then, at 15:00, we will be speaking to Suffolk Police to get its thoughts on the big development in the case."

That might be it? Can't see any other mention of police speaking to press, other than the bit on the left that you mentioned.
Well it is budget day. Maybe they think it will slip thru unnoticed.

Forward looking infrared (FLIR) or thermal systems could check contents for heat signature before crushing. Expensive though.
Nha not expensive. FGS we have them in our dashcams for next to nothing. But what a great idea. Sorry dashcam is movement not heat

Nha not expensive. FGS we have them in our dashcams for next to nothing. But what a great idea

Its something that would work well. Even a dead body will continue to show a heat signature for some time.

The other person that was taken in for questioning, was it the driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member