GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And again with the Tescos - didn't he say on his call about Helen that she'd been to Tescos the morning she went missing and returned distressed and upset?
I've only been able to find this snippet, but I haven't checked our old threads -

re Helen Bailey -

"During the call, made on April 15, 2016 - four days after Ms Bailey was allegedly murdered - he also told police she had been "very, very anxious and very worried about lots of things".

In Stewart's account of that day, Ms Bailey "wasn't calm" due to problems with a wedding venue and had returned from a trip out saying she never wanted to drive again, one police officer told the court."

Author Helen Bailey 'wanted space', murder accused told police

found another

"He said: "I remember bits of it. Helen loaded my car with a large duvet and some boxes to be sent to the dump.

"Then she was in her office for a while, I went back to bed. She went out in the car to get some milk but came back almost instantly.

"She was upset with something that had happened and she said she was never going to drive again."

Fiancé accused of murdering Helen Bailey weeps in the dock

tests on Mrs Stewart's brain tissue, donated for medical research, showed that her "breathing had been restricted".

although most of Mrs Stewart's remains were cremated, "she had donated her brain to medical research and brain tissue was kept".

Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC said Stewart was initially "able to fool medical professionals by suggesting his wife, Diane Stewart, had died in the course of an epileptic fit".

scientists and pathologists were instructed to re-examine the circumstances, and analysis of the brain tissue indicated her death was "most likely caused by a prolonged restriction to her breathing from an outside source".

The prosecutor said the "narrative involving an epileptic fit that day appears to have originated from Ian Stewart, rather than from any other source".

the cause of death was most likely caused by a prolonged restriction of her breathing from an outside source

the account given by Ian Stewart, the only other person on the premises, is directly contradicted by the medical evidence," said Mr Trimmer

Ian Stewart: Helen Bailey's killer on trial over Diane Stewart's murder

Opening the case ,Stuart Trimmer QC said: “The crown say this defendant intended to kill Diane Stewart and the only serious issue you have to determine is whether Ian Stewart was responsible for the killing or whether it was a medical accident

in each case the victim was a woman in an intimate relationship with Stewart.

Ian Stewart was at home alone with Diane on the day of her death.

“There had been some arguing between them in the week preceding her death,”

Stewart called an ambulance claiming he had found his wife unresponsive and not breathing.
Diane Stewart had no heartbeat when paramedics arrived.

Killer of children’s author goes on trial charged with murdering wife

more detail at link

"

According to Stewart's statement: 'On that day I had left our home and when I returned a short while later I found Dianne lying unconscious on the patio.

'I went inside to get the cordless house phone and dialled 999.'

Mr Trimmer added :' There is no evidence beyond his word that in fact he left the house at all, no one saw him - both his sons were away from the house...

'In their variations and inconsistencies on such an important and life changing event, it might be though he was lying.'

[...]

"'Friends

Man who killed author Helen Bailey on trial for wife's murder
"Mr Trimmer said the amount of ischemia discovered could not have happened in such a short space of time and were 'wholly inconsistent' with Stewart's account.

Stewart was arrested and questioned by police and gave a pre-prepared statement but refused to answer questions or offered 'no comment', Mr Trimmer said.

According to Stewart's statement: 'On that day I had left our home and when I returned a short while later I found Dianne lying unconscious on the patio.

'I went inside to get the cordless house phone and dialled 999.'

Mr Trimmer added :' There is no evidence beyond his word that in fact he left the house at all, no one saw him - both his sons were away from the house...

'In their variations and inconsistencies on such an important and life changing event, it might be though he was lying.'

[...]

"'Friends of Dianne recall his behaviour at the funeral as being unusual, ' Mr Trimer said.

The jury heard there had been various differing accounts given by the defendant about events of the morning his wife died - telling some people he had been at home, but others that he had been out shopping before returning to collect his wallet.

He told one woman, Debbie Priest, that Ms Stewart died whilst putting the washing out and that he found her slumped in the garden.

Stewart told his son, Jamie, that he had been out to Tesco and returned to find her dead."

Man who killed author Helen Bailey on trial for wife's murder
BBM Was this at the time of Diane's death or in the subsequent years after he had been found guilty of Helen's murder?

Mrs Stewart’s death, on June 25 2010, happened on a morning when the defendant’s two sons were away.

Stewart gave “differing accounts” of what happened, including ;
he had been out to Tesco and came back to find his wife outside on the ground
she had been hanging washing out and he found her lying next to the line.

He answered no comment in police interview, instead providing a prepared statement which said: “On that day I had left our home and, when I returned a short while later, I found Diane lying unconscious on the patio.

“I went inside to get the cordless house phone and dialled 999.”

Three pre-eminent experts have re-examined all the material and will be relied on by the Crown.”

Mrs Stewart had a “mild form of epilepsy that was well controlled” and she had not had a fit for 18 years.

Man who murdered children’s author on trial for killing first wife

tests on Mrs Stewart's brain tissue, donated for medical research, showed that her "breathing had been restricted".

although most of Mrs Stewart's remains were cremated, "she had donated her brain to medical research and brain tissue was kept".

Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC said Stewart was initially "able to fool medical professionals by suggesting his wife, Diane Stewart, had died in the course of an epileptic fit".

scientists and pathologists were instructed to re-examine the circumstances, and analysis of the brain tissue indicated her death was "most likely caused by a prolonged restriction to her breathing from an outside source".

The prosecutor said the "narrative involving an epileptic fit that day appears to have originated from Ian Stewart, rather than from any other source".

the cause of death was most likely caused by a prolonged restriction of her breathing from an outside source

the account given by Ian Stewart, the only other person on the premises, is directly contradicted by the medical evidence," said Mr Trimmer

Ian Stewart: Helen Bailey's killer on trial over Diane Stewart's murder

Surely Diane’s brain would have been examined during the original post-mortem/s? Why on earth was this evidence not found then?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INSP MORSE
Back