GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Beachdreams!
I imagine this individual must be experiencing a slow, poisonous, inner collapse. Not out of guilt of course, but because all that plotting, planning, stress etc and the endless time he spent to achieve his "goals" have failed spectacularly, and he has oblitered and destroyed everything in his life. His future is nothing but bleakness.

This is the reason his conviction for Helen is allowed before the jury:

Mr Trimmer said: “Helen Bailey’s murder is significant in this instance.

“Of particular significance is that he murdered a partner. He murdered her at home, in a home he shared with her.

“He murdered her at a time both his sons were absent.

“He murdered her mid-morning and murdered her by restricting breathing, probably by a choke hold.

“And he showed a willingness to cover up the murder.”

So I think this has all been said above but I wish to express my shock that Diane's autopsy does not appear to have been comprehensive. Thank heavens they preserved the brain. I bet he's fuming he allowed that to happen.

This is the reason his conviction for Helen is allowed before the jury:

Mr Trimmer said: “Helen Bailey’s murder is significant in this instance.

“Of particular significance is that he murdered a partner. He murdered her at home, in a home he shared with her.

“He murdered her at a time both his sons were absent.

“He murdered her mid-morning and murdered her by restricting breathing, probably by a choke hold.

“And he showed a willingness to cover up the murder.”

I agree. Text book example of previous bad character which (I think) is relevant and admissible here because:
  1. it is important explanatory evidence;
  2. it is relevant to an important matter in issue between the defendant and the prosecution
Not only does it show his propensity as outlined by Trimmer, it adds weight to the evidence of choking found upon examination of the brain. So, not only is there evidence that Diane was choked, there is also the Defendant’s bad character which shows he has a propensity to murder. The two added together are enough convince a jury beyond all reasonable doubt.

Diane Stewart's sister, Wendy Bellamy-Lee, told the jury she had asked the coroner for more details about the death as she was suspicious of her brother-in-law.

When she told Stewart what she had done he became angry, she told the jury.

'He was really really cross with me. He was so cross with me. I felt really bad that I had done that and had to tell him.

'I thought I had upset him because he was so cross with me. 'Ian said 'you don't need to know… that I had no right to do it, that it was not my right - he thought it was not my business.'

Mrs Bellamy-Lee said after confronting Stewart he had been blunt with her.

'I think he put the phone down on me. He said it was inexcusable what I had done and he just put the phone down.

'I had my own suspicions, I needed to try to calm them and get them out of the way but it did not, it made them greater.' She told the court her sister had tried to raise some concerns about Stewart during a family swimming trip during the 1990's.

'She was uncomfortable about something, like Ian expected more of her.

'I did not feel happy about what she was trying to tell me… we did not get back to where the conversation was..."

Wendy always knew. You could easily see that from her posts remembering her sister. I hope she finally gets justice.

Man who killed children's author Helen Bailey on trial for wife's murder | Daily Mail Online

The man who killed the children’s author Helen Bailey in 2016 has gone on trial charged with murdering his wife six years earlier in an incident he claimed was an epileptic fit.

Ian Stewart, 61, is charged with the murder of Diane Stewart, who died at their Cambridgeshire home in June 2010.

Opening the case in front of the jury at Huntingdon crown court, Stuart Trimmer QC said: “The crown say this defendant intended to kill Diane Stewart and the only serious issue you have to determine is whether Ian Stewart was responsible for the killing or whether it was a medical accident.”

The crown says Stewart was initially able to “fool” medical professionals by suggesting she had died in the course of an epileptic fit, Trimmer said.

Trimmer told jurors: “His explanation for the circumstances of her death can be disproved by the medical evidence. In short, the crown say, he killed her.”

Killer of children’s author goes on trial charged with murdering wife

Within the legal framework references to evidence of a person’s previous similar convictions (MO) are referred to as evidence of Bad Character. It is upon that basis application is made to adduce such evidence in any subsequent trial.

I'm aware of the legal terminology, what I meant was that the BC evidence may have been approved for submission in order that the Jury can understand this is (allegedly) a similar or nearly identical MO to that which he employed with Helen. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Who thinks he's going to take the stand? I do.

I think he would be foolish to give evidence especially after the way Trimmer crucified him last time - who remembers the Joe and Nick fairy tale he came up with! - But he’s arrogant enough not to listen to sound legal advice and insist upon having his say. From what has been revealed today he really has no defence (in my view). I mean three neurological witnesses to the brain evidence cannot be wrong, can they? What can he possibly say in his defence, I wonder?

I hope they call the neighbour (ugh my brain sucks, was it Nick or Joe?) as a witness. I can't wait to hear what he has to say after being dragged innocently through the Bailey trial.

Who thinks he's going to take the stand? I do.

God forbid he does. Will no doubt frame the 'Nick' and 'Joe' characters again and their vendetta with him...

But that aside, it must be really grim for his family having to go through all this again. And his sons especially: however bad it was last time, this time it is even worse as this was their own mother.

I hope they call the neighbour (ugh my brain sucks, was it Nick or Joe?) as a witness. I can't wait to hear what he has to say after being dragged innocently through the Bailey trial.

It was Nick. He was there when the air ambulance landed, as it was in the field next to his house. He also made some remarks about IS. I won't requote as he may be coming back as a witness.

After last time, I would be very surprised! Last time he was absolutely sure he could talk his way out of anything. Now he knows different.

I would be 50/50 on it.
As you say, he is far wiser now about what he can and can't get away with in his testimony.
But will the overwhelming urge that he has to talk about himself still be prevelant ? or has 5 years in prison changed him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991
Back