GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
snipped from Tortoise links above

Oliver Stewart was brought home from school by a neighbour.

The couple’s elder son Jamie Stewart was taking his driving test on the morning his mother died.

making sure to have an empty house ?

Asphyxiation (Signs Of) | Encyclopedia.com

Signs of suffocation-related asphyxiation such as strangulation can include bruises and fingernails scratches on the neck, bleeding around the throat, and in some cases, the fracture of the U-shaped hyoid bone at the base of the tongue. Evidence of suffocation may include small red or purple splotches in the eyes and on the face and neck as well as the lungs (petechial hemorrhages).

Asphyxiation may also produce foam in the airways as the victim struggles to breathe and mucus from the lungs mixes with air. This is especially typical in drowning. Other changes can include an enlarged heart and an altered blood chemistry.

Last edited:
I removed the post as soon as I realised that part of it was not allowed here, which made the link break.
It was about some guy who strangled his partner til foam came out of her mouth.

But yes, it seems that it's not uncommon, and not only related to strangling.

That link isn’t opening for me :confused: but I’ve just been looking online and foaming from the mouth is not uncommon at the time of death regardless of the cause!!

It must have been horrific for the 15 year old son to be the one to identify his mother's body, you'd have thought that IS would have done that

IS was there, he would have done the identification.

I think OS just meant he could see his mother's body in the garden when he arrived home.
He did say ( see tortoise link above ) that it was either police or ambulance person who told him his mother had died. They wouldn't have done that if they needed him to ID her.

IS was there, he would have done the identification.

I think OS just meant he could see his mother's body in the garden when he arrived home.
He did say ( see tortoise link above ) that it was either police or ambulance person who told him his mother had died. They wouldn't have done that if they needed him to ID her.
I suppose where the article is just summarising the narrative, I'd interpreted it from this bit ' Wiping tears from his eyes, he told the jury he identified her body.'

Oliver saw ambulances outside the house and initially thought, 'Oh, Dad's going to have another spell in hospital,' as he had the rare long-term condition myasthenia gravis, which he described as 'muscle weakness'.

Oliver said he was given information from the pathologist about how his mother died at a later date.
'I knew she was epileptic, I had seen the foam in her mouth, it added up,'

Husband who killed children's writer Helen Bailey 'in bits' after death of first wife, trial told | Daily Mail Online

Yes, they are prosecution witnesses but the defence have a right to cross examine. Unfortunately we are dependent upon how the reporter is reporting the case.
I assumed they must be prosecution witnesses as it's far too soon for the defence case to begin. Just very odd that nobody seems to be reporting the prosecution testimony.

I assumed they must be prosecution witnesses as it's far too soon for the defence case to begin. Just very odd that nobody seems to be reporting the prosecution testimony.

It is quite frustrating that we are getting so little reporting of this case. Would have been very interesting to know what the prosecution asked JS and OS.

"Mrs Stewart met her future husband while both were students at Salford University in the 1980s, the defendant's brother-in-law Philip Bellamy-Lee said.

The pair moved to Cambridge, with Mrs Stewart working for DHL, then for a "company that provided meat products to McDonald's", and then as a school secretary in Bassingbourn, Mr Bellamy-Lee, whose wife Wendy Bellamy-Lee is Mrs Stewart's sister, said.

He said his wife was "very close" to her sibling and "wanted to go to Bassingbourn" when she learned of her death.

He added: "She wanted to go there as she wanted to understand more about what happened, but she wanted to make sure the boys were cared for as well.

"At that time, Ian didn't want her presence so she accepted that. She still wanted to go as soon as possible...but at that time Ian was reluctant."

Mr Bellamy-Lee said his wife "wanted to talk to Ian - and tried to talk to Ian on numerous occasions - to try to understand what happened and he simply wouldn't talk to her."

Royston Crow
Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'

Husband who killed Helen Bailey 'didn't seem particularly distressed' when first wife died | Daily Mail Online

The man convicted of killing children's author Helen Bailey in 2016 'didn't seem particularly distressed or anxious at all' after the death of his first wife, a paramedic told a court.

Ian Stewart, 61, is on trial accused of the murder of 47-year-old Diane Stewart at their home in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire in 2010.

Paramedic Spencer North, who attended the scene on June 25, said he was let through the gate by Stewart and found Diane in cardiac arrest in the rear garden.

He told jurors at Huntingdon Crown Court that Stewart appeared 'initially distracted, idly pacing'.

Asked by prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC how Stewart appeared 'emotionally', Mr North replied that he 'didn't seem particularly distressed or anxious at all'.

Mr North said Stewart told him his wife suffered from epilepsy, and that he had found her unresponsive when he arrived back home.

Ian Stewart 'didn't seem distressed' over wife Diane Stewart's death

Mr North said the defendant told him his wife suffered from epilepsy and that he had found her unresponsive when he arrived home.

The paramedic said there "didn't seem to be any effective CPR but we were told when he came out of the gate that he was just doing CPR".

"Generally effective CPR causes trauma," Mr North said.

"You crush the ribs, they pop, they snap, the airway is normally open.

"Not everyone knows how to do it but that's what you normally see if effective CPR is commenced."

He said he saw none of this. North also said he saw "blood-stained saliva" on Mrs Stewart's mouth but if there had been "effective mouth-to-mouth" he would have expected that to "have been everywhere".

Last edited:
An ambulance service form completed at the scene indicated the call time as 11.24am, the ambulance was on scene at 11.41am and death was pronounced at 12.02pm.

He [Police constable Matt Gardner ] agreed that he ascertained that Stewart was the last person to see his wife alive, recording the time of that as 10.30am on June 25.

Husband appeared 'not particularly distressed' after wife's death | ITV News

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back