GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Struggling to get my head around the callousness of this man.

From link on thread above:

Mr King said that when Stewart was arrested in 2018 for the murder of Mrs Stewart, he told officers: 'You’re joking. Haven’t you got anything better to do?'

So cavalier.

Me either, but I'm very surprised he didn't claim that £56k.

I remember, at his trial for Helen’s murder, he made a point of saying that he hadn’t claimed any funds from Diane’s estate to make it sound like he was not at all motivated by money. Whereas today’s reporting shows that he took everything he could get and only missed out on the £56k due to paperwork issues. I bet he worked long and hard in trying to find a way round whatever the problem was.

Likewise, when he eventually sold the Bassingbourn house for just over £500k, he only gave Helen £450k as his contribution towards the purchase of the Royston home ( which Helen bought for £1,300,000 ) because Helen insisted…his words of course….that he keep £50k for himself.

Me either, but I'm very surprised he didn't claim that £56k.
I bet he would have if he could have.... maybe it was something like an early work pension with other named beneficiaries. Or something where claiming it was complicated in some way. He wasn’t always good about knowing what was required- like when he tried to push through the sale of Helen’s flat.

I think Neil King is just doing the junior role here, handling the agreed facts. Hopefully the Strimmer is around for the main stuff and to keep IS feeling uncomfortable every day.

Struggling to get my head around the callousness of this man.

From link on thread above:

Mr King said that when Stewart was arrested in 2018 for the murder of Mrs Stewart, he told officers: 'You’re joking. Haven’t you got anything better to do?'

So cavalier.

I wonder if he gave the same poor surprised "You're joking!" response of when he was arrested for Helen's murder

I wonder if he gave the same poor surprised "You're joking!" response of when he was arrested for Helen's murder
Well, we saw the police video of that. He did try to act amazed and innocent, I recall. Of course at that time he was not yet convicted of anything. But it was a pathetic performance then and it would be a bit harder to play innocent in jail, I would have thought.

Well, we saw the police video of that. He did try to act amazed and innocent, I recall. Of course at that time he was not yet convicted of anything. But it was a pathetic performance then and it would be a bit harder to play innocent in jail, I would have thought.

He says exactly the same!

"You're joking!"

See it here

The moment Ian Stewart is arrested for Helen Bailey’s murder – video

Man jailed for life for murdering his fiancee tells court he was 'in love' | Daily Mail Online

A husband who was jailed for life for murdering his author fiancee has said he was 'in love' with the wife he is accused of killing six years earlier.

Ian Stewart claimed life was 'perfect' with Diane Stewart, who died before he met and killed the writer Helen Bailey.

The 61-year-old told Huntingdon Crown Court he was 'very much in love' with and 'massively' respected his wife as he gave evidence today.

Stewart is serving a life sentence for killing Ms Bailey - who wrote the Electra Brown books - at their home in Royston, Hertfordshire, in 2016.

Mrs Stewart, 47, was thought to have died at their home in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, in 2010, of an epileptic fit.

But when the killer was convicted of murdering his fiancee, detectives launched a new probe into his wife's death.

Prosecutors said the new case was only possible because Mrs Stewart 'by a stroke of fortune' donated her brain for medical research.

The findings from her brain tissues allegedly proved oxygen to her brain had been 'substantially reduced' in the hour before her death.

From Skigh's link above - artist's impression of IS

53633289-10463831-image-a-45_1643719725942.jpg

"Sobbing Stewart told jurors at Huntingdon Crown Court today how he returned home from Tesco to find Diane collapsed in the garden.

He said: "I just remember she was all twisted, her legs and arms were underneath her…. it didn’t look natural or normal.

“I started to panic obviously. The first thing I did was try to put her into the recovery position.

“I knew because I had done quite a lot of first-aid, I had to get her into the recovery position and clear her mouth.”

He told how he cleaned Diane's mouth of vomit and foam from the supposed epileptic fit she was suffering.

Stewart also claimed he was left "exhausted" by carrying out CPR for "quite a while" so popped to a neighbouring home owned by a doctor and nurse.

He said he left stricken Diane for up to five minutes before coming back when there was no answer.

Stewart then called 999, telling them: "My wife has had a fit. I think she has died".

He added to jurors: "I was trying to save her life, I was trying to get her to breathe again."

NINTCHDBPICT000708723481.jpg

Author killer tells jury he found wife's body 'twisted' after 'murdering her'

The 61-year-old told Huntingdon Crown Court that the couple’s elder son, Jamie, had his driving test on June 25 and left that morning, while their younger son, Oliver, was at school.

The defendant said he drove to Tesco, intending to get French sticks and pate to ‘celebrate’ after Jamie’s driving test.

He said he realised while at the supermarket that he had forgotten his wallet, returned home to look for it and found his wife in the garden. ‘I saw Diane just crumpled on the floor,’ he said.

Stewart, giving evidence as his two sons listened from the public gallery, said: ‘The first thing I did was try to get her in the recovery position.

‘That was hard. I couldn’t get her legs out from under her.’

He said he ‘tried to clear her mouth’, adding: ‘How do you describe it… sick, just a mess, basically froth.’

Amjad Malik QC, defending, asked Stewart: ‘Was she breathing?’ He replied: ‘I don’t know, but I didn’t think so at that point.’

Stewart said he ‘put her on her back to put her in the position for CPR’ and then did ’30 compressions and then mouth to mouth’.

Mr Malik asked: ‘A really silly question – have you any idea how long that took?’ Stewart said: ‘The straight answer is no. At the end of it I was exhausted.’

Stewart said a doctor and a nurse lived in the house opposite theirs. ‘I didn’t ring 999, I went over to them to try to get help,’ he said.

[...]

‘Diane was still lying there so I tried CPR again,’ he said. ‘More froth came out. Because of the froth I thought she was breathing at that stage.

‘I thought she was still alive.’ Asked how long he did CPR for, he said: ‘I don’t know. I know when I finished that I was worn out.

”That’s when I went off again and made the 999 call.’

Man jailed for life for murdering his fiancee tells court he was ‘in love’

Man jailed for life for murdering his fiancee tells court he was 'in love' | Daily Mail Online

snipped from link above.....

Stewart also claimed he was left "exhausted" by carrying out CPR for "quite a while" so popped to a neighbouring home owned by a doctor and nurse.

He said he left stricken Diane for up to five minutes before coming back when there was no answer.

Stewart then called 999, telling them: "My wife has had a fit. I think she has died".

Wondering which neighbouring home he went to. It would be a matter of seconds to get to any of the properties in that Close. And surely knocking on a door to summon assistance would not take 5 minutes.

Also, why not call 999 first ? and have help on the way

snipped from link above.....

Wondering which neighbouring home he went to. It would be a matter of seconds to get to any of the properties in that Close. And surely knocking on a door to summon assistance would not take 5 minutes.

Also, why not call 999 first ? and have help on the way

The transcript of that call is worse than I'd imagined - calling from inside the house instead of taking the phone outside, all this mentioning of unlocking doors and gates when the call handler is trying to give him CPR instructions, then going to get the neighbour.... Any bloody excuse to get away from Diane basically.

Oh and this gem from his testimony:
Mr Malik asked: 'A really silly question - have you any idea how long that took?' Stewart said: 'The straight answer is no. At the end of it I was exhausted.'
Poor exhausted IS.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Datsyuk