GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow this has been such a long time coming I had thought for a while that the investigation had led to nothing. Booking my place on this thread. I feel so sorry for the sons. And poor Helen being caught in the trap of this nasty poisonous creature.

I have to say something too, like this made my day. How long will we have to wait for a trial? I do feel for the two sons, what a nightmare they have been through.

With his next hearing in September, I think it will be another 3 months on from that. Which means December. But usually courts close early for Christmas, so my best guess is January.

Hello everybody. Good to see so many of us following today's news.

I am delighted to hear he has been charged and hope the case is proved. Diane's sister was never sure that Diane's death was from epilepsy and the more we heard about him the more many of us felt he had murdered her. He was so cold. His sons must be devastated by the news that their father very possiby killed their mother.

I have been wondering whether there were samples taken at the time of her original post mortem that it has been possible to test with maybe more sophisticated equipment and methods than were available at the time. Science moves on at a pace.

Hi IB, good to see you on here.

I remember the discussion, back then in 2017, was whether or not the samples had been preserved. The fear was ( is ) that they had not been, because a verdict had been given which did not indicate a suspicious death.
Let's hope the police have more evidence.

At the inquest into her death the coroner recorded a verdict that she died of natural causes linked to the fit after being presented with the results of the post mortem and histology samples taken from her

Police will probe the death of Ian Stewart's first wife | Daily Mail Online

A few snippets from the article from March 2017

two post-mortems were conducted and it was six weeks before Mrs Stewart’s body was released to her family

On the day of her death, she was alone in the house with her husband. He was in the kitchen, he has said, when she stepped onto the patio and had her fatal seizure.

Paramedics were called,air ambulance arrived, attempts to revive Mrs Stewart failed.
‘I could see Diane lying in the back garden with a paramedic performing CPR on her,’ says a neighbour.
‘Ian was watching. He looked very pale.’

Stewart said that Diane had suffered epileptic seizures in the early years of their marriage.

Mrs Stewart’s history of epilepsy came as news to those who knew her in Bassingbourn.

‘I knew Diane from 1998 until she passed away,’ says Mr Manley. ‘She was an athletic, active woman. And she certainly was driving. She used to take her turn driving to away matches and I’ve been in the car with her driving it. I have since been told by people that she had a history of epilepsy in her teens but it was under control.’

After Diane's death
Stewart received £28,000 from Cambridgeshire County Council, who employed Mrs Stewart
£33,000 from a life insurance policy
£17,000 from the Legal & General insurance group

Stewart bought himself an MG less than 3 weeks after Diane died.

What happened to the first wife of Helen Bailey's killer? | Daily Mail Online

Thank you Alyce as always.
Yeah I remember Stewart’s red MG being mentioned - what a thing to buy.
I remember reading at the time that Diane was a key member of the bowling team they belonged to.

When Stewart was jailed for life for her murder in 2017, Diane’s mum, Noreen Lem, welcomed news police were probing her mystery death.

But we can reveal the 88-year-old sadly passed away before the decision to charge Stewart was announced.

It is understood Noreen died of pneumonia last May after a hip operation. One friend said: “She had been very poorly. You can imagine how distressing it (the police investigation) was for her.

“She was upset, especially as she had no reason to suspect anything until Helen was murdered.”

Diane’s brother, Chris Lem, today admitted the past year had been difficult for his family.

The 60-year-old said: “We just want justice to take its course.”

Family's agony as author killer charged with murder of his first wife

Hello everybody. Good to see so many of us following today's news.

I am delighted to hear he has been charged and hope the case is proved. Diane's sister was never sure that Diane's death was from epilepsy and the more we heard about him the more many of us felt he had murdered her. He was so cold. His sons must be devastated by the news that their father very possiby killed their mother.

I have been wondering whether there were samples taken at the time of her original post mortem that it has been possible to test with maybe more sophisticated equipment and methods than were available at the time. Science moves on at a pace.

He had dinner with one of the sons as part of his alibi after he murdered Helen.
They had takeaway - what was it? I wonder if the son can ever eat that dish again.

I hope they both have friends and family who support them. None of this was of their own making, yet the brothers were caught in the middle and now it starts all over again.

<snip>

I'm not an expert but I imagine there are tests that might not have been considered where a death wasn't suspicious. For example, were they looking for drugs that she wasn't prescribed, but which they might look for in the light of Helen's drugging by Stewart? I don't know the answer to this but I imagine those samples have got to play an important role in the evidence against him now in this case.

Does this description of him make anyone else feel as uneasy as it does me?

Paramedics were called, air ambulance arrived, attempts to revive Mrs Stewart failed.

‘I could see Diane lying in the back garden with a paramedic performing CPR on her,’ says a neighbour. ‘Ian was watching. He looked very pale.’

What happened to the first wife of Helen Bailey's killer? | Daily Mail Online

I think we posted info like this in previous threads about Stewart, but I needed to refresh my memory.

"SUDEP is defined as the sudden, unexpected, witnessed or unwitnessed, non-traumatic, and non-drowning death in patients with epilepsy with or without evidence for a seizure, and excluding documented status epilepticus, in which postmortem examination does not reveal a structural or toxicological cause for death.

This means that SUDEP is when someone is believed to have died during or after a seizure where no other cause of death can be found."

SUDEP

So presumably, no toxicological cause was found (but I still wonder what they would have tested for). Clearly no other physical cause such as head injury, evidence of strangulation, wounds.

I'm going to be really interested in how they have enough evidence to prosecute a murder charge. There must be something significant. Was she taking epilipsy meds to control seizures and he's been swapping them out for something else, maybe trying to make her have a seizure?

I had a friend with severe epilipsy and, even though it was controlled by meds, it was possible to force her into a seizure. In her case, the trigger was being asked a lot of questions, especially under stress, which meant sadly she often had seizures during job interviews. Could he have done something he knew would trigger? But even so he couldn't have guaranteed it would be fatal. SUDEP is very rare.

This is going to be very interesting I think.

I'm back to celebrate the latest murder charge re Diane Stewart, 3 years after Herman Munster's conviction for killing Helen Bailey. Good to see so many familiar names here discussing it!
I don't quite remember how Websleuths works, so apologies if I post in the wrong place or make other balls-ups. I do recall the chat was utterly addictive throughout the Helen Bailey murder trial. It even got me drugging myself with my own Zopiclone sleeping tablets, to test out Stewart's M.O. (verdict - he doctored her morning vitamin supplements - 'cos Zopiclone tastes absolutely VILE added to food, and as I know from bitter experience, tea too). We true crime followers suffer for our art!
The wheels of justice sure turn slowly. I'd assumed Diane's cremation would rule out a fresh murder charge. Police must have strong evidence to take this to trial, I'm intrigued to hear it.
Stewart will be 90 before he's eligible for parole for Helen's murder, and I hope when this new trial is done he won't even have that small glimmer of hope. Justice for Diane is long overdue.
This new/old case throws up so many questions, not least how Ian Stewart got away with killing his wife and mother of his two sons. Their family snaps show a pleasant, smiley woman and an oddball husband, who never had to work thanks to an amazing illness insurance policy he cashed in 20 years earlier, which paid him £2k a month tax free for the rest of his natural. I'm still reeling from that courtroom revelation! Gotta hand it to him, he achieved the 'low hanging fruit', something-for-nothing dream lifestyle with aplomb - till he was slung in the slammer at 56.
By all accounts, Stewart was always dislikeable, introspective and socially inept. He wasn't popular with his 'pals' at the bowls club who said he was as tight as a duck's sphincter whenever there was a group whip round (he once refused to chip in for a round of coffee).
Helen's friends and neighbours confirmed he was utterly charmless. One recalled : "He never volunteered information, you had to drag it out of him. I wouldn't have put those two together in a million years".
So it's likely Diane's family had misgivings about him. But as far as we know, when she suddenly died aged 47 they didn't pursue any suspicions of foul play and the coroner wrapped it up as natural causes pretty quickly. Or will we learn that Diane's relatives DID suspect him, but were thwarted by the official verdict? Obviously these details have huge implications re the subsequent murders of Helen and her beloved dog. Could/should Stewart have been caught before he killed again?
And btw, did he really murder the mother of his children for a lousy £80k? Multi millionaire Helen clearly never stood a chance. Writing on her blog, Helen believed her romance with 'GGHW', aka 'Gorgeous Grey Haired Widower' (later corrected to 'Grotesque Greedy Homicidal W*nker'), had various false starts. But she was sadly mistaken. Because when they first got chatting online, and she innocently agreed to his request to email him a photo of her Highgate mansion, her fate was sealed. Stewart wasn't going to let this wealthy widow escape his clutches till he'd taken every single thing she owned, including her life.
There were no false starts, as she thought. He was a man on a mission. But it's hard to see what Helen got from her relationship with Ian Stewart, even during their early honeymoon phase. He promised to marry her so she'd alter her will in his favour. But he didn't buy her an engagement ring (he actually gave her Diane's eternity ring - Ewww! Didn't alarm bells ring with her then???) He instructed her not to tell his sons or his parents they were engaged (ditto). He showed obvious boredom when she took him to the exclusive Bond Street jeweller to discuss the £14,500 pink diamond engagement ring she wanted, and was no doubt planning to pay for herself (he subsequently told her to email the jeweller and request a discount). And he showed little enthusiasm for the wedding she was keenly planning at Brocket Hall. Because like the pink diamond ring of her dreams, he knew she would be dead before it materialised.
Stewart was no Brad Pitt lookalike, nor was he charismatic. So what the hell was this monosyllabic bore's appeal to women??? I think in Helen's case it had much to do with her vulnerability when she met him, so soon after her husband John's death. She and John were a love match, who met when she was just 22. He was her one serious relationship, and soul mate, they were happy together. Without him she was bereft.
A therapist might have advised her not to dive quickly into another committed relationship. But she was new to the single life, and it scared her. So it's not too surprising she was keen to leave 'Planet Grief', re-marry and return to the cosy domestic set-up that was familiar to her. If only she had dated a few men and played the field, she may have found an eligible one. Instead she let Stewart love-bomb her without any romantic rivals, slept with him after a month (a big deal for a woman who had been faithful to the same man for over 20 years), and quickly convinced herself he was Mr Right.
Vulnerable, lonely women tend to see what they want to see in a male suitor. They miss or misinterpret red flags that should tell them loud and clear a man is not right for them. They may even project positive qualities that they want him to have, and tell others that's who he is (as she did in her book), knowing deep down that is not even close to who he is.
From what I've learned of the background to this tragic case, it's hard to escape the feeling Helen knew damn fine Ian Stewart was the wrong fit. They had nothing in common - she was smart, glamorous, funny, popular with a big career and a taste for the finer things in life. Stewart was decidedly average in every way. He had no career beyond tinkering with computers (pages from a website he was constructing for Helen were laughably amateurish), no interests bar the odd game of bowls, and precious little life experience, wit, sophistication or style. He didn't even like her dog! As I can vouch, you always know how people feel about your precious pets - and just as revealing, how your pets feel about them!
Helen adored Boris, and had dachshund images everywhere around their home in tribute to him. Apparently Stewart resented this (and presumably in turn, the dog), asking Helen if there could be 'just one room' in the house that didn't have any dachshund paraphernalia in it. At that point she should have decided Stewart was the only unwanted household nick-nack, booted him out and changed the locks. Oh, if only she had.
When he took the stand, he presented himself as non-materialistic, to counter the allegation he killed his fiancée for her millions. He told the court he was happy to use Easyjet, while Helen preferred to fly first class - a statement which only confirmed their starkly diverse styles, and his meanness!
If he had got away with murder and secured all Helen's money, what was he planning to do with it? My guess is, nothing much. He hasn't the imagination or flair to make a good job of wealth. For Ian Stewart, money in the bank represents power and status, and is an end in itself. He persuaded Helen to splash out on that huge mansion with swimming pool in his Hertfordshire home town, so he could lord it over everyone who knew him. Oh he hadn't worked or achieved any kind of success to get the goodies, but that didn't bother him. As long as he got them. I bet he resented Helen terribly, and hated that her wealth and therefore her status, was greater than his. He had no respect for her as a successful woman, no appreciation of the writing talent and dedication that had brought her big rewards in a competitive field. Stewart with his 'get rich quick' mentality, clearly had no interest in hard work - his or anyone else's! Nor was he willing to share Helen's wealth. He didn't want a generous wife - he didn't want a wife at all, just her money, and full control of it! He really is a monster.
The latest murder charge has cleared up one mystery that often came up in Websleuths chats, during Helen's murder trial. Helen was popular and sociable, with family and an ever growing group of friends she was regularly in touch with. As a successful author she was also a public figure and active on social media. It was totally out of character for her to vanish, and not contact anyone ever again. How the hell did he think he'd get away with it?
It baffled many of us that such an unimpressive man had sufficient self-belief to plan and carry out such an audacious murder. But of course we now know exactly why he thought he'd kill Helen and face no consequences, carrying on his life as before - because he already had! There's only one thing more dangerous than a ruthless psychopath, and that's a ruthless psychopath who's already got away with murder.
It's astonishing this creep persuaded one, let alone two eligible women to commit to him. I wonder how many times a day he imagines the comfortable, enviable life he could be living now with either Diane or Helen?

I think we posted info like this in previous threads about Stewart, but I needed to refresh my memory.

"SUDEP is defined as the sudden, unexpected, witnessed or unwitnessed, non-traumatic, and non-drowning death in patients with epilepsy with or without evidence for a seizure, and excluding documented status epilepticus, in which postmortem examination does not reveal a structural or toxicological cause for death.

This means that SUDEP is when someone is believed to have died during or after a seizure where no other cause of death can be found."

SUDEP

So presumably, no toxicological cause was found (but I still wonder what they would have tested for). Clearly no other physical cause such as head injury, evidence of strangulation, wounds.

I'm going to be really interested in how they have enough evidence to prosecute a murder charge. There must be something significant. Was she taking epilipsy meds to control seizures and he's been swapping them out for something else, maybe trying to make her have a seizure?

I had a friend with severe epilipsy and, even though it was controlled by meds, it was possible to force her into a seizure. In her case, the trigger was being asked a lot of questions, especially under stress, which meant sadly she often had seizures during job interviews. Could he have done something he knew would trigger? But even so he couldn't have guaranteed it would be fatal. SUDEP is very rare.

This is going to be very interesting I think.

Intriguing, isn't it? As you say, there can't have been any injuries that would be a red flag for foul play. Unless she had a non accidental head injury that was deemed accidental from collapsing/fitting in the garden? The garden location could be significant. The business of the Zopiclone sleeping tablets with Helen, gives me the feeling Diane's murder must also have featured meds in some form. Like he had form, slipping drugs to his victim. As you say, maybe to trigger a serious seizure, or simply to overpower her easily, as with HB.
That must have had it all planned out from day one with Helen. He was casting around for a rich widow when Diane was barely cold, and chasing Helen within a year of murdering his wife. He obviously felt invincible and totally above the law because he'd already got away with murder for financial reward, in Diane's case £80k. Which is chickenfeed next to the millions he expected to take from Helen. And by persuading her to change her will in his favour, he didn't have to trouble himself to marry her to get his greedy hands on her cash. Evil piece of excrement wouldn't even give her the big wedding she wanted, before he killed her!
When you look at Ian Stewart's life history, it's one big 'something for nothing' con trick after another, the reward escalating in value as the years go by, culminating in the millions he expected to trouser for Helen's murder - his most audacious cash-grab, and the point at which he was finally stopped.
Do you recall it came up early in the trial that he had some sort of minor accident when he was a teenager, I think a leisure centre door swung back and hit him, and he got a hefty compensation pay out from the council, around £20,000 I think. We all discussed it here at the time - it seemed to have lit a switch in his head, and set the template for his life's philosophy, that there were generous amounts of 'free money' out there for the taking, if you only knew how to go about getting them.
Remember the illness insurance policy he took out on himself when he was quite young? That was very interesting. I think he made the fairly hefty premium payments on it for about 2 years, then lo and behold he sees a doctor and is diagnosed with the muscle weakening disease Myasthenia Gravis and BINGO he can claim his insurance payments. From 1996 he was getting a staggering £2,000 a month pay out, tax free, and never had to work again! How the hell did he pull that off? I wonder how long it was before his thoughts turned to taking out life insurance on his poor wife? He really is the most repulsive sub human. I hope he's having a rough time in jail.
It's weird being back here, first time in 3 years. I saw a few familiar names that had stayed in my memory, it's a great chat forum. Thanks for the heads up! *advertiser censored*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yurchenko
Back