GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Re cause of death...if Diane was on epilepsy medication, sudden withdrawal can cause life threatening seizures, just a thought.,

I didn't know this. I don't know how they would be able to prove that any sudden withdrawal of meds was IS' doing or Diane's? How would it form a prosecution? It's something to think about though. Very thought provoking in fact.

Re cause of death...if Diane was on epilepsy medication, sudden withdrawal can cause life threatening seizures, just a thought.,
I didn't know this. I don't know how they would be able to prove that any sudden withdrawal of meds was IS' doing or Diane's? How would it form a prosecution? It's something to think about though. Very thought provoking in fact.
I'm not sure how they would prove it. We know that he tampered with Helen's tablets to enable him to drug her with sleeping pills. Maybe he could have swapped the epilepsy pills for something else. I've just started taking Topamax (originally an anti-convulsant)f migraines and they've come with a warning to wean off slowly rather than stop abruptly because of this risk

I'm not sure how they would prove it. We know that he tampered with Helen's tablets to enable him to drug her with sleeping pills. Maybe he could have swapped the epilepsy pills for something else. I've just started taking Topamax (originally an anti-convulsant)f migraines and they've come with a warning to wean off slowly rather than stop abruptly because of this risk

Gosh I have forgotten so much about this case. Was that tampering with her tablets for definite or a theory? I can't recall the details. I'm strongly erring on the side of his MO being repeated with Helen, so what we know about her death we can probably apply to what might have happened to Diane. Drugging them into a stupor then smothering them in their sleep in a way that leaves no physical evidence. Withdrawing her epilepsy meds might make a fatal seizure a possibility but he needed something that was going to be definitely fatal.

On a personal note, I hope your migraines come under control. I'm so lucky never to have really been bothered by them but I know it's miserable and has a terrible effect on people's lives. I wish you well.

Gosh I have forgotten so much about this case. Was that tampering with her tablets for definite or a theory? I can't recall the details. I'm strongly erring on the side of his MO being repeated with Helen, so what we know about her death we can probably apply to what might have happened to Diane. Drugging them into a stupor then smothering them in their sleep in a way that leaves no physical evidence. Withdrawing her epilepsy meds might make a fatal seizure a possibility but he needed something that was going to be definitely fatal.

On a personal note, I hope your migraines come under control. I'm so lucky never to have really been bothered by them but I know it's miserable and has a terrible effect on people's lives. I wish you well.
It was a theory, sorry, should have been clearer. He had been drugging her over a 3 month period, she had been complaining that she was having strange symptoms and also feeling v tired and confused at times indicating that she wasn't taking anything knowingly. At the time I think she was taking some supplements due to being menopausal hence the theory he could have switched as Dolly's test had shown it would have been too obvious sprinkled on food!!

Thanks re the migraines. I was lucky enough not to start suffering with them until 3 years ago (I get the vestibular type) but my god they been debilitating. Fingers crossed this medication works!

I'm kind of wracking my brain for how the police would have come up with enough evidence to prosecute. I can only surmise that the autopsy samples were retained and retested. I've done a bit of reading though and in the Bailey trial it says IS was only prescribed zopiclone in 2016. I suppose they wouldn't have been looking further back in his records at that stage maybe. Perhaps there was another drug prescribed to him that shows up in her samples. I should probably stop thinking about this and just wait for the evidence!

IS had been prescribed Zopiclone several times....

from the court testimony in 2017......

the court heard evidence from Dr Afshan Kahn, a GP who prescribed Stewart with Zopiclone.
She told jurors the consultation she had with Stewart on January 23, 2016, lasted just 10 minutes.
She told the court: “When he came to see me he was reporting that he was finding it difficult to sleep.

“The record showed that he had previously used Zopiclone, and it had helped him.
Stewart had previously been supplied Zopiclone in August 2010 and June 2005, jurors heard.

I have been searching back through old threads to find this testimony from the neighbour who was there when the air ambulance arrived for Diane.
Finally found it ! many thanks to CottonWeaver for saving it back then

-------------------------------------------------------

A neighbour told The Sunday Times an air ambulance landed in the garden of his home in June 2010.
I left my house and headed to their (Stewart's ) bungalow and found paramedics already there, said the neighbour, who asked not be identified.

Their side gate was open and I could see Diane lying in the back garden with a paramedic performing CPR on her. Ian was watching. He looked very pale. I saw the paramedic turn to his colleague and shake his head to signal nothing more could be done. I caught Ian's eye and realised I was intruding on something very private and tragic and had to leave.

Three months later the neighbour visited Stewart to see how the widower was coping, but found him defensive. We [the neighbourhood] still didn't know how she died. I went to see how he was doing and felt enough time had passed to ask if there was an explanation for her death.

He seemed annoyed and said ,no, not really and nothing came out of the post- mortem

We didn't hear anything about epilepsy until much later.

And this is from a post Tortoise put up on the Helen threads - taken from ISs FB page - it is the first birthday anniversary after Diane's death. As always, it's mainly about IS.

upload_2020-7-11_12-42-35.png

Again, taken from Tortoise post on Helen's thead - this time it is the sixth anniversary of Diane's death

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IS posted somewhere on June 25th 2016....

Six years today !!
I failed with CPR, was always probably in vain
So much has happened
Grief left me totally "mind ****ed" but was determined to live how Diane and I always tried to saying OLLI ( One Life Live It ) if we had second thoughts about doing something.
Found support in this group and others and was a regular poster signing off with OLLI. Some may remember me.
Got virtual hugs from many, which meant so much. Met up with some on line widowed friends (through organised events and/or for a coffee) and some of those virtual hugs turned into real ones and real friends. I realised slowly that new meaningful life was possible and not just a wishful dream.
Stopped posting because found it hard to cope with the raw grief of newly widowed. Guilty that I could not offer the support I had received. Helen more than makes up for the support I do not give. Sometimes that support takes an unacceptable toll on Helen.
Built a new life with Helen. We helped each other cope with the grief. Media reports that we are over our grief are untrue we have just learnt to live on a daily basis with the grief and at times we comfort each other as necessary. Also we have both NOT "moved on" but "moved forward" the past will always be there but there is a future ( or was ).
Now nearly 12 weeks have passed and I have been become "mind ****ed" again. It is like grief but there is "no end to the beginning". Don't know what I feel, what I want except the obvious. Trying to remember to OLLI easy to say hard to do.
Just felt the need to post this and thank those that have contacted me with messages of support. Today and in recent weeks.
Ian
sorry about the language but that is how it is

Thank you so much Alyce, for having a far better grip on the evidence than my poor suffering brain.

there was something in the back of my mind ( what's left of it after lockdown :D ) that said he got zopiclone just after Diane died. And then I remember we debated that it wasn't his first go round with those pills.

there was something in the back of my mind ( what's left of it after lockdown :D ) that said he got zopiclone just after Diane died. And then I remember we debated that it wasn't his first go round with those pills.

I made the mistake of only reading one article! Yes lockdown has completely messed with my brain, my sleeping pattern is scrambled.

Thank you Alyce, your post was excellent about the details, I'd forgotten some of them.
Interestingly Red Handed did a podcast about Helen not long ago and mentioned at the end that the police were now looking into Diane's death. Obviously before it was known IS had en charged.

I am so sad for Diane as she looks a lovely person and she was obviously well loved by her family and friends.

And again I go back to their sons .....how they've probably been deprived of their Mum due to the actions of their Dad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back