GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder, if he hadn't have been caught, would his greed have prompted him to go on for a third victim? Or would he have been satisfied with his wealthy status after Helen's death?

He'd never have been satisfied. Any normal man would have been more than satisfied with his life with Diane or Helen. Not him though, he just had to have the money. He'd have been even more emboldened if Helen had never been found. Dread to think what he would have done, but I'm sure there would have been more women in his web.

I wonder if IS was in court today. Usually after the verdict is announced, there is reference to the accused reaction in the subsequent press reporting. There was no mention of anything (yet) and bearing in mind he refused to attend court on the last occasion when sentencing remarks/impact statements were read out, I wonder if the coward ducked out yet again from facing the consequences of his actions.

There was at least one that I know of. She was much younger than him. Don't know if she had children. He spent a Christmas day with her apparently.

As I remember they sat on a parkbench to have lunch and she told him so he left. I am not sure if she was called as a witness, it just got stuck because I was thinking back then that she wasn´t suitable bcs of the kids.

I wonder if IS was in court today. Usually after the verdict is announced, there is reference to the accused reaction in the subsequent press reporting. There was no mention of anything (yet) and bearing in mind he refused to attend court on the last occasion when sentencing remarks/impact statements were read out, I wonder if the coward ducked out yet again from facing the consequences of his actions.

The Judge's final words were - take him down. I hope that indicates he was there, and it's not just a standard finish line when passing sentence. Or maybe they didn't have anywhere for him to go and sulk this time round. :D

The Judge's final words were - take him down. I hope that indicates he was there, and it's not just a standard finish line when passing sentence. Or maybe they didn't have anywhere for him to go and sulk this time round. :D
Oh yes!! Missed those all important 3 little words :D
Would have given anything to see his face!

Diane Stewart was cremated after she died – a decision by Ian Stewart to ensure no further examination of her body could take place. However, Diane had signed a donor card leaving her organs to medical science. Ian Stewart had no option but to consent to her brain and other tissues being preserved, though coroner’s office records show that he requested nobody be informed of this.

Ian Stewart: Killer of children’s author guilty of murdering wife and sentenced to whole life order | The Crown Prosecution Service

He was in the courtroom for the verdict and sentencing -

"The 61-year-old looked across from the secure dock to his two sons who sat in the public gallery after the unanimous verdict was returned at Huntingdon Crown Court today.

Mr Justice Simon Bryan slammed him for a "concerted and callous charade".

"I, like the jury, am sure that you killed your wife Diane," he continued."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-ian-stewart-trial-man-26171920?1=

Excellent news. I bet driving was, maybe even still is, quite traumatic for Oliver.

I don’t know if anyone will remember me from the threads around Helen’s murder trial but I was so pleased to see this news today, I had always assumed poor Diane would get lost in the “probably” and never have justice for herself. I feel really touched somehow that her generous organ donation meant she could allow the truth to be told.

The master manipulator snared by the brain sample his first victim had donated to science | Daily Mail Online

There was always something suspicious about the way 47-year-old Diane had died in the garden at the couple’s home in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, in June 2010.

With no witnesses around on that hot summer’s day, Stewart was able to fool paramedics and police into believing that former school secretary Diane, who had previously suffered from mild epilepsy but had successfully controlled the condition for 18 years with medication, had suffered a fatal fit.

A coroner recorded a ‘sudden unexpected death in epilepsy’ and, at Stewart’s request, mother-of-two Diane was cremated.

No one noticed at the time that he had given differing accounts to neighbours of the events leading up to her death, telling some he had seen her through the window hanging out the washing moments before she collapsed, and others that he had ‘popped out for ten minutes’ to Tesco and returned home to find her lying half on, half off the patio.

For Diane’s family, who noticed his strange behaviour throughout this time, nothing quite added up. And when, in 2017, Stewart was convicted of murdering his new partner, 51-year-old Helen Bailey, Diane’s mother Noreen Lem said she wanted police to reinvestigate her eldest daughter’s death.

She told the Mail at the time how uneasy she had felt after the death of her ‘happy and healthy daughter’ and spoke of the ‘terrible shock’ of learning her former son-in-law had killed the woman due to become his second wife.

Yesterday, at Huntingdon Crown Court, 61-year-old Stewart was found guilty of murdering school secretary Diane. But it is one of several agonising features of this terrible case that 88-year-old Noreen passed away in 2019 before se

Thanks for posting this. Very illuminating indeed.
I feel I should issue a Private Eye-type apology to Mr Justice Bryan: if I ever gave the impression that because you were not HHJ Bright and seemed to have a very different legal background, you were unlikely to be as scathing of Ian Stewart as he was, this was an unfortunate mistake.

I don’t know if anyone will remember me from the threads around Helen’s murder trial but I was so pleased to see this news today, I had always assumed poor Diane would get lost in the “probably” and never have justice for herself. I feel really touched somehow that her generous organ donation meant she could allow the truth to be told.

I remember you, Squamous, and I'm sure lots of others do. It's a great relief to see justice done for Diane as well as Helen, isn't it?

Course we remember you - good to see you on here for the celebration.
It's been a long wait - just a few weeks short of 5 years - to finally see justice done for Diane.

There's a longish article in the Telegraph, behind a paywall but there may be ways to subscribe and get access to a few articles:
Friends of Ian Stewart’s second victim ask why he was left free to kill again
This is an extract (hope it's OK to post):

Close friends of Ms Bailey expressed concern that the author’s murder could have been prevented.

Shelley Whitehead, a close friend of Ms Bailey who was once her bereavement counsellor, told The Telegraph: “It really raises questions about how someone so very evil could literally get away with murder, and do it again.

“Did they look at this bereaved, vulnerable father, this man whose wife has ‘died' from an epileptic fit, the father who now has to raise his boys on his own - is he so convincing that they didn’t do the proper checks? Or was something overlooked?"

<modsnip: 10% copyright rule>

Last edited by a moderator:
In the dock in both of his trials – both for murder, both of women he had professed to love – Ian Stewart cut an unimpressive figure. Shabby, hesitant, inexplicably dull – he seemed unremarkable in every way.

he did not do the probate paperwork for another £50,000 he could have claimed. The prosecution barrister Stuart Trimmer – who also prosecuted Stewart’s first trial – suggested this was because he had already met Bailey.

How brain tissue donation helped unravel Ian Stewart’s web of lies

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back