GUILTY UK - Eleanor Williams, 19, from Barrow, made false sex trafficking and abuse claims, May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
11:24am

TV cameras are in the court. A major change in the law last year allowed broadcasters to film judges sentencing serious criminals.
The judge is set to begin his remarks at 11.30.

11:37am

His Honour Judge Robert Altham said this will 'inevitably be a very large sentence'

11:39am

The judge is now going through the charges Williams was found guilty of

I don't mind admitting I was completely and utterly wrong about this case and this defendant. I thought she and her story were credible, and I couldn't understand why she was being held on remand so determinedly. I still feel that she's more mentally ill than wicked, but then I feel that about most perpetrators of shocking crimes.

I notice from the live feed that the judge implies she will get a lengthy custodial sentence. She's already been incarcerated quite some time, so I'm interested to know what that will mean. The detail of the summing up is all very exhausting.

Eleanor Williams sentencing - live: Woman who told 'pack of lies' about being abused by grooming gang to hear fate

11:44am

Regarding Jordan Trengove, the judge said the account of him raping her was 'complete fabrication'. She said she had bruises to her legs and was injured. Mr Trengove wasn't even there and she caused injuries to herself - 'a feature of her conduct', said the judge

11:49am

The judge is now moving on to charges relating to Mohammad Ramzan.
Williams said she had been a victim of sex traffickers since the age of 12. She said Mr Ramzan had befriended her and had sex with her. He then persuaded her to have sex it other men, she claimed. She said she and other girls were abused and that videos of the abuse would be sold.

11:52am

She claimed to have been taken to Amsterdam by Mr Ramzan to work in brothels. She also alleged she was sold for 25,000 euros but the buyer pulled out of the deal. The judge said she was also 'forcibly injected' with heroin so men could have sex with her, made to take a young girl for an illegal abortion and taken to Ibiza where men paid Mr Ramzan to have sex with her.
But, after looking at travel records, it was lies.

11:55am

She had been to Amsterdam but with her sister and her sister's partner - and they gave evidence that was she never out of sight.
The females she named as co-victims were spoken to. Many were 'profoundly upset' to be named by Mr Ramzan.

11:56am

Mr Ramzan did not know the defendant and had never been alone in a room with her. He described in court his 'utter consternation' of being publicly arrested on Walney, said the judge.

11:59am

The judge said she 'manipulated' people she was in contact with on Snapchat, rename them in her phone with names of made-up traffickers, induce 'sexual messages from them' and take screenshots as evidence. She also invented people in her phone, would use two phones to send messages to herself, said the judge.

12:03pm

The judge is now moving on to another charge. On June 30 2019 she left a hotel in Kendal provided by police to travel to Blackpool. She booked herself a hotel room, checked into her room and when seen on CCTV outside was alone. She was seen to make a note on her phone of a car registration plate and the details of a takeaway. She then bought food, sat in her room and watched YouTube.

12:07pm

Williams told police traffickers had found her in Kendal and was threatened with a 'violent death' in Blackpool. She alleged she was told to visit four houses in Blackpool where she was 'brutally raped by multiple men'.
The car whose registration number she noted down was to transport her and a flat above the takeaway was the scene of one of the rapes, she claimed.
The judge said this account was 'incontrovertible false'

12:09pm

She claimed at trial the 'traffickers' forced her to give the account. But the judge ruled 'duress was not available to her.
"I am sure no-one pressured her to go to Blackpool at all. She did so entirely of her own volition in order to make up false allegations," said the judge.

I don't mind admitting I was completely and utterly wrong about this case and this defendant. I thought she and her story were credible, and I couldn't understand why she was being held on remand so determinedly. I still feel that she's more mentally ill than wicked, but then I feel that about most perpetrators of shocking crimes.

I notice from the live feed that the judge implies she will get a lengthy custodial sentence. She's already been incarcerated quite some time, so I'm interested to know what that will mean. The detail of the summing up is all very exhausting.

Eleanor Williams sentencing - live: Woman who told 'pack of lies' about being abused by grooming gang to hear fate

It is exhausting .....in so many ways ....

also this seems contradictory

Dr Bacon, psychiatrist says she has complex PTSD but Dr Locke says there is no evidence. I (Judge Altham) agree with Dr Locke. Of course I have considered whether I should assume she has suffered some mental condition. There is no explanation for the reason she has done this but I should not speculate. Unless she chooses to tell someone why she told these lies I should not assume.

I do accept it is part of her personal mitigation she has vulnerabilities which I will take into account

and this..........

There is no guideline for this offence. The maximum sentence is at large.

12:15pm

In May 2020 she was on bail for perverting the course of justice.
On May 18 she left home on foot. She was found by police in fields of Walney with multiple injuries, said the judge.
One eye was swollen shut, she had hammer injuries and part of her little finger was severed.
"These injuries were all self-inflicted," said the judge.

12:18pm

She claimed she was taken to a house in Barrow and was raped and attacked by 10 men.
A few days later police found a hammer hidden against a fence close to where police had found her. It had traces of her blood and DNA. A Home Office pathologist said the injuries were inconsistent with her account.

12:20pm

Days later Williams posted on Facebook her account and pictures of what she said had happened.
She referred to injuries being inflicted by three Asian men, being abused across England, would continue to tell police everything she knew and encourage parents and children to speak out.
But she did not mention she was already on bail for perverting the course of justice, said the judge.

12:24pm

Judge: "The defendant is 22. She had no convictions prior to these matters. I note she was under 18 at the time of count 1. Though she was an adult at the time of the vast majority of offending I must bear in mind her maturity as well as her chronological age. There is evidence that she is immature."

12:27pm

The defendant has been jailed for eight and half years.

12:28pm

'Apart from her age there is some other personal mitigation. There are clear overtones of difficulties in her childhood. She's been self-harming from a young age however there is little clarity on what these difficulties involved.
"It is troubling to say the least that she shows no signs of remorse, even continuing to profess the truth of her allegations. The only flicker of appreciation of what she has done came today with a brief note regretting the effect of her post."

12:36pm

Judge: 'There is no explanation for why the defendant would commit these offences. She has gone to extraordinary lengths to create false accusations including causing herself significant injury. No explanation for this behaviour is apparent however that does not mean that I should speculate and unless and until the defendant chooses to say why she has tod these lies we will not know.'

Last edited:
I actually thought she would get more.

Taking off the remand time and the usual 50% out on licence, she won't do very much actual time at all I think.
I suppose I'm comparing it with the kinds of sentences defendants commonly get for violent crimes. Typically male crimes such as common assault, ABH, GBH etc tend to attract much lower sentences. What she has done has obviously caused great harm and I don't want to minimise that, but imo stiff custodial sentencing is most appropriately used for violent crime that causes physical harm and lasting fear.

Assault – Sentencing

I also think that what she mainly needs is psychiatric help, rather more urgently and intensively that she is likely to get it. The injuries she inflicted on herself in the service of this charade were quite extraordinary and take self-harm to appalling new depths.

JMO

Wow, 8.5 years in total! That seems like a lot to me.

An incredibly clear and thorough summing up and sentencing rationale from the judge, I thought, though.

Eleanor Williams sentencing - live: Woman who told 'pack of lies' about being abused by grooming gang hears fate
I hoped she'd get a lot longer. She ruined several men's lives due to her lies. Three tried to kill themselves, and one was charged and spent 73 days on remand. She's only going to serve half, with what she's served taken off.
She's shown no remorse and in fact is still saying that it all happened. Shameful sentence imo.

I suppose I'm comparing it with the kinds of sentences defendants commonly get for violent crimes. Typically male crimes such as common assault, ABH, GBH etc tend to attract much lower sentences. What she has done has obviously caused great harm and I don't want to minimise that, but imo stiff custodial sentencing is most appropriately used for violent crime that causes physical harm and lasting fear.

Assault – Sentencing

I also think that what she mainly needs is psychiatric help, rather more urgently and intensively that she is likely to get it. The injuries she inflicted on herself in the service of this charade were quite extraordinary and take self-harm to appalling new depths.

JMO
Imo these men will have a lasting fear of them or their families being physically attacked for the rest of their lives, especially as she doesn't acknowledge any guilt. Jmo.

Dr Bacon, psychiatrist says she has complex PTSD but Dr Locke says there is no evidence. I (Judge Altham) agree with Dr Locke. Of course I have considered whether I should assume she has suffered some mental condition. There is no explanation for the reason she has done this but I should not speculate. Unless she chooses to tell someone why she told these lies I should not assume.

I do accept it is part of her personal mitigation she has vulnerabilities which I will take into account
<rsbm>

I'm not Verified for my medical background so this can only be my personal opinion of course, but I don't think you take heavy tools to yourself without some kind of psychiatric diagnosis and cPTSD, at the very least, sounds spot on to me. There is also a strong link between self-harm and childhood sexual abuse, for which you don't have to rely on my opinion, as there's lots of evidence. She may not be these men's victim, but she is someone's imo. I feel sorry for her, as well as for her victims too obviously - I don't feel the need to pick a side. I think this started as a cry for help and got totally and catastrophically out of hand because her grip on reality is tenuous (JMO). I don't think prison is the answer for a defendant like that.

APA PsycNet

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1354850021000059278

Repeat deliberate self-harm: a link with childhood sexual abuse? | Emergency Medicine Journal

(plus myriad other studies as any google search will reveal.)

<rsbm>

I'm not Verified for my medical background so this can only be my personal opinion of course, but I don't think you take heavy tools to yourself without some kind of psychiatric diagnosis and cPTSD, at the very least, sounds spot on to me. There is also a strong link between self-harm and childhood sexual abuse, for which you don't have to rely on my opinion, as there's lots of evidence. She may not be these men's victim, but she is someone's imo. I feel sorry for her, as well as for her victims too obviously - I don't feel the need to pick a side. I think this started as a cry for help and got totally and catastrophically out of hand because her grip on reality is tenuous (JMO). I don't think prison is the answer for a defendant like that.

APA PsycNet

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1354850021000059278

Repeat deliberate self-harm: a link with childhood sexual abuse? | Emergency Medicine Journal

(plus myriad other studies as any google search will reveal.)
I think you are correct in part, in my opinion she has a severe personality disorder at a minimum and requires intense treatment in a secure psychiatric unit after her sentence for as long as it takes for her no longer to be a danger to the public as well as herself. I have no doubts that she’ll return to the courts in a few years having accused prison workers of abuse or being in cahoots with the fictIonal gang. It is likely in my opinion that this was created due to the childhood trauma mentioned by the judge in his remarks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back