GUILTY UK - Ellie Butler, 6, brutally murdered, Sutton, 28 Oct 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Neal Gray's written evidence was read out today. He mentions his feelings towards JG and BB too at the link.

Mr Gray said the social workers at Services for Children (S4C) had 'failed in their duty' to Ellie.

'S4C lost sight and started to pander to the parents’ unreasonable wants and demands,' he added.

He told the inquest that Ellie repeatedly said she wanted to continue living with her grandparents but her wishes were ignored.

Mr and Mrs Gray also had concerns about her being returned to her birth parents but they were also not listened to.

'We felt utterly helpless and unsupported,' he added. 'Linda was fearful of the risk posed by the parents, chillingly her fears turned out to be justified but no one would listen to us.'

Mr Gray described Ellie as a 'beautiful girl' who was 'kind, happy, cheerful and bright'.

'I am proud to say that Ellie was my granddaughter,' he added. 'We loved her to bits.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5531655/Father-beat-Ellie-Butler-death-says-far-over.html

Long time Lurker, just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. I'm totally heartbroken for the loss of Ellie, it's just not good enough that this beautiful little girl was used and abused so horribly by Gray and Butler with the backing of Justice Hogg. Too me it feels like sanctioned murder that she ignored all advice and I would like to know if she will ever face an investigation into her actions.

Long time Lurker, just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. I'm totally heartbroken for the loss of Ellie, it's just not good enough that this beautiful little girl was used and abused so horribly by Gray and Butler with the backing of Justice Hogg. Too me it feels like sanctioned murder that she ignored all advice and I would like to know if she will ever face an investigation into her actions.
I doubt she will face an investigation. This inquest has seemed to me to be a complete sham, make people feel something was done, when in reality the one person who had all the power to make the right decision and put protective measures in place that would work failed spectacularly.

I doubt she will face an investigation. This inquest has seemed to me to be a complete sham, make people feel something was done, when in reality the one person who had all the power to make the right decision and put protective measures in place that would work failed spectacularly.

Absolutely agree. The whole problem stemmed from justice Hoggs judgement . Without this none of this would ha e happened. She pandered to ben butler and indeed her words were " I am so happy to see an outcome where a family is back together " She seemed to be caught up on the whole publicity circus. Let us remember that initially butler and grey were only asking to get back the younger child not Ellie ! It all snowballed from her findings! In my view she is totally responsible and ignored findings of his violence etc. Her judgement made the local authority almost powerless as she agreed the other authority to make the decisions as butler and grey had fallen out with the local authority. It is often easy to blame social services but on this occasion in my view it wasn't their fault. We are ha img an inquest without the guilty party being involved. Worthy of note is that justice Hogg quickly retired after all of this . There can be no satisfactory outcome out of all of this as poor Ellie has needlessly died and was taken away from the people who loved and cared for her . Whatever the outcome of inquest the real blame is attributable elsewhere!

[FONT=&quot]The last fortnight has been unimaginably harrowing for our client, Neal Gray, who has behaved with restrained dignity throughout. We await the verdict on 10th April.
https://twitter.com/WilsonsLondon
[/FONT]

Ellie Butler, the six-year-old who was battered to death by her father in 2013, was unlawfully killed, an inquest has ruled.

[...]

The coroner, Linda Dobbs, said that despite the failings of agencies she was “unable to conclude” that they played a role in her death.

The proceedings were not tasked with examining a family court ruling that returned the schoolgirl to the hands of her abusive father.

[...]

Ellie’s grandfather Neal Gray described the day his granddaughter was taken from his care as “heartbreaking” and said social workers “failed in their duty” to her.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/10/ellie-butler-unlawfully-killed-inquest-ben-butler

I'm not sure why I was hoping for a bit more from this, but I agree it's no surprise. Bit more here:

Reacting to the ruling, Ellie's grandfather Neal Gray said he was disappointed that the agencies "have not had to account for the role they played".

He said he believed Ellie would be alive "had the childcare agencies worked together and shared information and had the parents not been so readily believed".

[...]

Concluding the inquest at South London Coroner's Court, Dame Linda said: "On the evidence I am unable to conclude that any acts or omissions by the relevant agencies possibly or probably contributed to the death of Ellie."

She added it was "unclear" if all recommendations from a Serious Case Review into Ellie's death "have been implemented and audited".

The review found Sutton Children Services felt "powerless to act" following the High Court's ruling which led to Ellie returning to her parents.

[...]

The inquest covered the period between the ruling to return Ellie to her parents and her death, but did not look at how Mrs Justice Hogg's decision was made.

Following her ruling the coroner stressed that those who were worried about any court judgment should be able to raise those concerns.

"Lawyers are only advisers, they are not decision makers. That responsibility lies with the agencies themselves," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43705629

We said at the beginning of this inquest that our primary concern was achieving justice for Ellie, and peace for our client Neal Gray. We are therefore deeply disappointed at the coroner’s verdict, which appears to leave so many questions unanswered.

This inquest sought to identify whether and where the agencies who should have been protecting Ellie might have fallen short, and what changes might be required to prevent any other child being so tragically failed by the system. Sadly, that has not been achieved.

We had hoped that the verdict would provide some semblance of closure for our client, Neal, who has behaved with dignity throughout this nightmarish ordeal, and we are saddened that no closure has been delivered.

We look forward to receiving the Prevention of Future Death Report, and in the meantime we will take stock and consider what steps, if any, are in the best interests of our client, Neal.

https://www.wilsonllp.co.uk/wilsons-ellie-butler-inquest/

Neal Gray has responded to the report on the Wilson’s solicitors website - I do not know how to link unfortunately.

[h=2]Ellie Butler inquest verdict – Statement of Neal Gray[/h]Date posted: 25 April 2018
I wish to make a statement to set out my reaction to the Prevention of Future Deaths Report by the Coroner, Dame Linda Dobbs, which I have now had the opportunity to read.

I am clear in my understanding that the document records recognition of failings that are unsurprising in circumstances in which the independent social workers, S4C, Sutton Children’s Services and Ellie’s guardian, all accepted that they had let Ellie down. That gives me some encouragement that this Inquest investigation may have achieved something. What went so tragically wrong has been exposed to the public; which is what I set out to accomplish.

I think that the Inquest also achieved some success in also exposing failings in a family court system whose ultimate job it is to protect our children.

The role of the family court in decisions made or actions taken which inevitably led to Ellie being placed at risk of mortal harm was the ‘elephant in the room’ throughout the Inquest. I would have liked to have heard from the Judge herself. I think any input by her in this process would have been invaluable. In fact, any acknowledgement by her; even an informal approach to me by her such as a letter expressing her condolences to my family would have been appreciated. That would have been the humane thing to do.

I have come to the conclusion with some regret, that I cannot take this matter any further. Finally, Ellie may be laid to rest. I still miss her and think of her every day, but I think that if important lessons are learned from this tragedy then her death may not have been in vain.

I wish to thank the members of the public and the press who have been so kind and compassionate to me.

I also wholeheartedly thank the police and Joanne Early from Victim Support, and my legal team at Wilson Solicitors LLP.

Neal Gray 25.4.18

https://www.wilsonllp.co.uk/ellie-butler-inquest-verdict-statement-neal-gray/

There's a documentary on Ellie tonight on 'Crime +Investigation' channel at 9pm tonight.

The heartfelt plea will be included in an episode of Britain's Darkest Taboos to be broadcast on Crime + Investigation at 9pm next Monday.

Murdered Ellie Butler's grandad demands apology from judge who sent six-year-old back to live with dad who beat her to death

Sky

Virgin
275 | HD 222
+1 224

BT

TalkTalk

I've got Sky, but I don't have a clue if I'm subscribed to this channel or not.

There's a documentary on Ellie tonight on 'Crime +Investigation' channel at 9pm tonight.

Sky

Virgin
275 | HD 222
+1 224

BT

TalkTalk

I've got Sky, but I don't have a clue if I'm subscribed to this channel or not.

I've found it on catch up, but l will have to pluck up the courage to watch it.

I don't believe in God, but l hope to heaven his life in prison is one of misery and torment every single slow minute of every single day. My heart breaks for this child.

I think l should be able to access the channel, l will record it although l don't think l can bring myself to watch it today.

I have watched Darkest Taboo and Tears of a Crime.

In the second Gray doesn't say 'Ellie ' in her interview she only says her daughter and her body language fully suggest she was lying. Apparently Ben Butler was resentful that Jennie had a job and he was stuck at home. That doesn't explain it though as he attacked Ellie when she was a baby and they weren't living togther at that point. He wanted Ellie back because she was his possession and he felt entitled.

They surmised Ellie died from being struck in the floor as opposed to being struck with something from body language in the interview.

Darkest Taboo simply says JG was obsessed with BB and would do anything for him. That was evident from the first incident whereby she could have had Ellie back if she gave him up but she wouldn't. Her upbringing was normal, there doesn't appear to be any reason why she would not only put up with such abuse but cover for him.

It's beyond tragic. I can't imagine what that little girl must have gone through. Especially the downright cruel way she was taken from the grandparents and given back without any transition plan in place.

I wonder about the other little girl, why she wasn't taken in by the grandparents when she was removed at birth, and where she is now. You can hear her in the background of the 999 call shouting 'wake up, Ellie, wake up!' She had been dead for two hours by this point

I have watched Darkest Taboo and Tears of a Crime.

In the second Gray doesn't say 'Ellie ' in her interview she only says her daughter and her body language fully suggest she was lying. Apparently Ben Butler was resentful that Jennie had a job and he was stuck at home. That doesn't explain it though as he attacked Ellie when she was a baby and they weren't living togther at that point. He wanted Ellie back because she was his possession and he felt entitled.

They surmised Ellie died from being struck in the floor as opposed to being struck with something from body language in the interview.

Darkest Taboo simply says JG was obsessed with BB and would do anything for him. That was evident from the first incident whereby she could have had Ellie back if she gave him up but she wouldn't. Her upbringing was normal, there doesn't appear to be any reason why she would not only put up with such abuse but cover for him.

It's beyond tragic. I can't imagine what that little girl must have gone through. Especially the downright cruel way she was taken from the grandparents and given back without any transition plan in place.

I wonder about the other little girl, why she wasn't taken in by the grandparents when she was removed at birth, and where she is now. You can hear her in the background of the 999 call shouting 'wake up, Ellie, wake up!' She had been dead for two hours by this point
Thank you. I think I remember the grandparents felt they were too old to care for 2 children.

This is one of the most heart wrenching cases I've ever read. How all those services let poor little Ellie down is unimaginable. They literally threw her to the wolves. I don't know how all those people sleep at night knowing they "MURDERED" a defenseless child. My heart aches for her Grandad who has not only lost his Granddaughter but also his wife now.. The only solace I get is knowing that they will be together now in a much more beautiful & peaceful world than here..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patterson Vincent
Back