UK - Gaia Pope, 19, found deceased, Swanage, Dorset, 7 Nov 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even Gaia's father sent his best wishes to the Elseys and said how bad it must of been for them to be accused.

RSBM

If only Greg Elsey was behaving with as much dignity and decorum!

He named his family as those arrested and when Nathan and granny were arrested it was Greg who said " I don't know why they were arrested when it's Paul who's disappeared leaving his phone and car behind"

In all honesty, his grandson has earned more publicity for his 24 hour arrest than he could dream of! A vulnerable girl was missing! It's not like the were roughed up and thrown in a cell with bread and water!

If this were me and my family, I would genuinly just be glad that it was not the other way around and not my child lying in a morgue!

I get where you're coming from but I wouldn't call having your name plastered across the papers because you've been arrested on suspicion of murder as great publicity for an aspiring actor.

I know what Gaia's family is going through is miles worse than the Elsey family and I appreciate the hard work that our police force do but it doesn't detract from the fact that arresting three people on suspicion of murder when there's no actual evidence of a murder, let alone their involvement, is a bit heavy handed.

At the crux of it, a young vulnerable girl was missing and obviously the police should do everything in their power to make sure she's found safe, but in my own opinion I definitely feel there are a few mistakes to learn from here. If it came out that there was evidence that lead them to believe Gaia had come to harm in RD's house then I'd be singing off an entirely different hymn sheet, but the information that has come out so far (albeit from trashy tabloids) suggests there was no real legitimate reason for the arrests.

Early on in this case I genuinely doubted RD. I didn't believe NE had anything to do with the disappearance though.. and then when it all came out about PE, I doubted him too, and I feel bad for suspecting two innocent people when all they were trying to do was help Gaia when she was distressed.

I get where you're coming from but I wouldn't call having your name plastered across the papers because you've been arrested on suspicion of murder as great publicity for an aspiring actor.

I know what Gaia's family is going through is miles worse than the Elsey family and I appreciate the hard work that our police force do but it doesn't detract from the fact that arresting three people on suspicion of murder when there's no actual evidence of a murder, let alone their involvement, is a bit heavy handed.

At the crux of it, a young vulnerable girl was missing and obviously the police should do everything in their power to make sure she's found safe, but in my own opinion I definitely feel there are a few mistakes to learn from here. If it came out that there was evidence that lead them to believe Gaia had come to harm in RD's house then I'd be singing off an entirely different hymn sheet, but the information that has come out so far (albeit from trashy tabloids) suggests there was no real legitimate reason for the arrests.

Early on in this case I genuinely doubted RD. I didn't believe NE had anything to do with the disappearance though.. and then when it all came out about PE, I doubted him too, and I feel bad for suspecting two innocent people when all they were trying to do was help Gaia when she was distressed.

No publicity is bad publicity is the phrase isn't it? He's been released from enquiries so the publicity can only raise his profile.

Dorset police aren't going to issue a statement telling us what exact reasons they had for arresting the trio... we may learn something IF there's an investigation but otherwise, I choose to trust that they, ultimately knew what they were doing.

Rosemary's interview was dodgy.
Paul disappearing was dodgy. I don't feel bad at all ...

The bottom line is police CAN arrest, and do arrest when there is even a whiff of suspicion that a serious crime has been committed, it allows them to have immediate access to a suspects house and car so they can conduct searches and look for evidence. Many other countries do not have the opportunity to do this without getting evidence first - a vicious circle and I dread to think how much evidence gets cleaned up before the cops can investigate. Take Kyrian Knox as an example - a toddler found chopped up in bags in a lake, last seen being cared for by a couple known to his mom. Highly suspicious, but it took months to arrest them as they were allowed to avoid the police, by which time they probably scrubbed the house a thousand times and sold the car.

So I'm glad we do it this way though it is unfortunate when innocent persons get caught up in it.... but.... in this particular case the police never named those arrested, so if anyone is to blame it is the media and whoever fed them the info. That said, perhaps an "arrest in connection with the disappearance of" would have been better or just a "helping with enquiries".

I feel for the Elsey family, I really do, but this case is not about them.

GE was the one who released the names.
Yes many people could have worked it out ( certainly the folk who post on here did ) due to RDs interview which was followed swiftly by her arrest.
But the only person providing names was GE. And, once he did that, he handed the info to the media on a plate.
All the comments he made, before RD, NE and PE were released from being under investigation, included the phrase the solicitor has told me to say nothing.
If only he had taken note of those wise words.
Clearly he feels aggrieved, but it might be sensible for him to deal with his grievance privately.

And I have to say I'm still not 100% happy reading that she was found in gorse. Could have slipped/rolled there of course, and it might not be factually correct as to her exact position.

RSBM

If only Greg Elsey was behaving with as much dignity and decorum!

He named his family as those arrested and when Nathan and granny were arrested it was Greg who said " I don't know why they were arrested when it's Paul who's disappeared leaving his phone and car behind"

In all honesty, his grandson has earned more publicity for his 24 hour arrest than he could dream of! A vulnerable girl was missing! It's not like the were roughed up and thrown in a cell with bread and water!

If this were me and my family, I would genuinly just be glad that it was not the other way around and not my child lying in a morgue!

:goodpost:

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever, comments made during the time Gaia was missing like "Paul could not stand Gaia. He wanted nothing to do with her. He said her family were bad news" were just completely unnecessary. Her family were trying to deal with their daughter being missing - why did he feel the need to bad mouth them in MSM?

And I have to say I'm still not 100% happy reading that she was found in gorse. Could have slipped/rolled there of course, and it might not be factually correct as to her exact position.

Could also be animal activity.

Oh wait though - I've just seen this reference elsewhere. This might explain it.

Terminal burrowing

An apparent self-protective behaviour, known as "terminal burrowing", or "hide-and-die syndrome", occurs in the final stages of hypothermia. The afflicted will enter small, enclosed spaces, such as underneath beds or behind wardrobes. It is often associated with paradoxical undressing. Researchers in Germany claim this is "obviously an autonomous process of the brain stem, which is triggered in the final state of hypothermia and produces a primitive and burrowing-like behavior of protection, as seen in hibernating animals." This happens mostly in cases where temperature drops slowly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia#Terminal_burrowing

No publicity is bad publicity is the phrase isn't it? He's been released from enquiries so the publicity can only raise his profile.

Dorset police aren't going to issue a statement telling us what exact reasons they had for arresting the trio... we may learn something IF there's an investigation but otherwise, I choose to trust that they, ultimately knew what they were doing.

Rosemary's interview was dodgy.
Paul disappearing was dodgy. I don't feel bad at all ...

If RD said Gaia was going to see someone and that someone said she didn't show, that would make police suspicious. Finding the clothes and no Gaia would add to that suspicion - hence the arrest on suspicion. Yes its heavy handed, but the circumstances were in doubt. Most on here thought it was suspicious. With hindsight, yes perhaps a more thorough search of the cliff edge should have been undertaken much sooner.
I do agree about the publicity angle, so I think they'll get over it.

If RD said Gaia was going to see someone and that someone said she didn't show, that would make police suspicious. Finding the clothes and no Gaia would add to that suspicion - hence the arrest on suspicion. Yes its heavy handed, but the circumstances were in doubt. Most on here thought it was suspicious. With hindsight, yes perhaps a more thorough search of the cliff edge should have been undertaken much sooner.

Yes, it will have been a combination of things.

I think Cover Me Cagney's post above sums it up well - best to arrest suspects and prevent possible destruction of evidence.

I do feel there should be legislation to prevent suspects being named in the media until police give permission. Usually that isn't until charges are brought.

I have heard from someone who knows a family member of one of the people who found her, so take it with a grain of salt, but she was found in the middle of a bush and it looked like she had crawled in there so it was probably a case of terminal burrowing due to hypothermia. It would also explain why she wasn't found for 11 days as you would need to crawl around the fields on your hands and knees to see her.

I am pretty sure that daily mail article about the CCTV times is wrong. The CCTV in Morrison Road showed 3.40pm. If it was still on summer time then it would have actually been 2.40pm. The problem is she was last seen on CCTV at St Michael's Garage at 2.55pm when she was on the way into town. So she either teleported from Morrison Road to the garage to buy an ice cream before teleporting back to the house, or the daily mail is talking bollocks like usual.

I have heard from someone who knows a family member of one of the people who found her, so take it with a grain of salt, but she was found in the middle of a bush and it looked like she had crawled in there so it was probably a case of terminal burrowing due to hypothermia. It would also explain why she wasn't found for 11 days as you would need to crawl around the fields on your hands and knees to see her.

I am pretty sure that daily mail article about the CCTV times is wrong. The CCTV in Morrison Road showed 3.40pm. If it was still on summer time then it would have actually been 2.40pm. The problem is she was last seen on CCTV at St Michael's Garage at 2.55pm when she was on the way into town. So she either teleported from Morrison Road to the garage to buy an ice cream before teleporting back to the house, or the daily mail is talking bollocks like usual.
I took it that the mix up about cctv times still being on summer time was frtom the Dinch/Elseys one personal cctv and not any other... they couldn't know the details of anyone else's I don't think ...

I don't trust anything the daily fail says ...

Yes, it will have been a combination of things.

I think Cover Me Cagney's post above sums it up well - best to arrest suspects and prevent possible destruction of evidence.

I do feel there should be legislation to prevent suspects being named in the media until police give permission. Usually that isn't until charges are brought.
I think there is legislation preventing it but if the person themselves release the info then I don't think it applies. Not sure about that as I'm not a lawyer so JMO.

I took it that the mix up about cctv times still being on summer time was frtom the Dinch/Elseys one personal cctv and not any other... they couldn't know the details of anyone else's I don't think ...

I don't trust anything the daily fail says ...
Yes I think the cctv that caught Gaia running past is not the DE one mentioned as showing NE on it. That one we have seen is showing the correct time, presumably.

:goodpost:

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever, comments made during the time Gaia was missing like "Paul could not stand Gaia. He wanted nothing to do with her. He said her family were bad news" were just completely unnecessary. Her family were trying to deal with their daughter being missing - why did he feel the need to bad mouth them in MSM?
I'm not sure but was PE the alleged Halloween one night stand?

Could also be animal activity.

Oh wait though - I've just seen this reference elsewhere. This might explain it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia#Terminal_burrowing

Here's why I'm not sold on the hypothermia tide of opinion -

Hypothermia does not reach the stage of feeling hot (paradoxical undressing) until it is fairly advanced, the link says moderate to severe. By moderate stage the persons muscle coordination is poor, fingers and toes blue, movements slow and laboured. By severe stage the persons breathing has slowed, so too blood pressure and heart rate, inability to use hands, walking nearly impossible.

To be paradoxically undressing and burrowing, Gaia removed fiddly items (bra and trainers) with blue extremities and poor muscle coordination, and then presumably now naked in the elements, so not getting any warmer and likely to succumb to the cold very quickly, she didn't exhibit burrowing but climbed a gate and continued to walk for quite some distance across difficult terrain with bare feet, with walking nearly impossible, she still managed to make the effort to burrow into the gorse. She didn't collapse on top of it or she would have been seen by the searchers.

Add to that the undressing at RD's flat. She can't have been hypothermic in the flat. The undressing twice (if true) sounds to be unconnected with hypothermia, to my brain.

I also think there is a good chance she would have been seen, and heard, if she was crying or in a state of delirium, with it being a common time to walk dogs at around 5pm, whatever the weather. If she hid in the field for a while and got really cold and wet I don't see how she then picked up energy to move the distance she did from her clothes. I would have expected to see the burrowing near the clothes with the expected lethargy and other physical characteristics.

Here's why I'm not sold on the hypothermia tide of opinion -

Hypothermia does not reach the stage of feeling hot (paradoxical undressing) until it is fairly advanced, the link says moderate to severe. By moderate stage the persons muscle coordination is poor, fingers and toes blue, movements slow and laboured. By severe stage the persons breathing has slowed, so too blood pressure and heart rate, inability to use hands, walking nearly impossible.

To be paradoxically undressing and burrowing, Gaia removed fiddly items (bra and trainers) with blue extremities and poor muscle coordination, and then presumably now naked in the elements, so not getting any warmer and likely to succumb to the cold very quickly, she didn't exhibit burrowing but climbed a gate and continued to walk for quite some distance across difficult terrain with bare feet, with walking nearly impossible, she still managed to make the effort to burrow into the gorse. She didn't collapse on top of it or she would have been seen by the searchers.

Add to that the undressing at RD's flat. She can't have been hypothermic in the flat. The undressing twice (if true) sounds to be unconnected with hypothermia, to my brain.

I also think there is a good chance she would have been seen, and heard, if she was crying or in a state of delirium, with it being a common time to walk dogs at around 5pm, whatever the weather. If she hid in the field for a while and got really cold and wet I don't see how she then picked up energy to move the distance she did from her clothes. I would have expected to see the burrowing near the clothes with the expected lethargy and other physical characteristics.

Things don't always fit into tidy boxes though.
Didn't somebody say earlier that feeling hot and taking off her clothes might be connected with her epilepsy, or the meds? Perhaps she felt hot again after running to the fields. She was obviously in a disturbed state of mind.

We won't know for certain what happened until the inquest, and even then only if the autopsy can actually reveal why she died. Until then it is all just speculation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist
Back