UK - Helen Almey, 39, & Martin Griffiths, 48, Duffield, Derbyshire, 1 Jan 2020 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A profile page of RH from 2016

11139955_932055933542466_7921835453103295457_n.jpg

Rhys Hancock

Initially I thought murder suicide but less likely with a knife I think?
Got drunk NYE, thought about what he’d lost and what someone else now has scenario. Grabbed a knife and decided
If I can’t have you no one can?
Maybe he’d been depressed too. Christmas and new year could have been catalytic had
That been the case?

there was a murder suicide not far from me a few years back. Ex/Dad shot his ex wife and daughter in broad daylight before turning it on himself. (Man's gun killing of family 'calculated')

just my own rambling musings

Got drunk NYE, thought about what he’d lost and what someone else now has scenario. Grabbed a knife and decided
Maybe he’d been depressed too. Christmas and new year could have been catalytic had
That been the case?

there was a murder suicide not far from me a few years back. Ex/Dad shot his ex wife and daughter in broad daylight before turning it on himself. (Man's gun killing of family 'calculated')

BBM. He may have been, and I'm willing to keep an open mind, but from what is in the media I can't see past an abusive relationship at the moment.

So sad. He looks nice, normal, nothing out of the ordinary, family kind of man. Was this simply a hate / revenge thing or is he going to claim insanity?
I'm not sure cags. It's looking like there could be some history here, if what was posted above by Legally (post #12) is true, concerning ambulances and police being a feature of their relationship.

That been the case?

Yes it looks like this kind of scenario imo. Plus he'd also quit his job, couldn't cope well with break up I assume.

It's no excuse for murder though. I wish he'd faced up to his problems and gotten help.

That been the case?

There were two murder victims here, not including the ex-partner. Suicide doesn't appear to be a feature. Sorry if I've misunderstood your post.

I'm not sure cags. It's looking like there could be some history here, if what was posted above by Legally (post #12) is true, concerning ambulances and police being a feature of their relationship.

I know, I know, I mean more on the face of things he looks like a decent guy. And I know we can't see the full picture on social media but often we get a really bad vibe about people just on first glance of their Facebook page - dark posts, weird quotes, you know the kind of thing I mean. This guy was a headteacher, good job, wholesome hobbies, nice wife, cute kids, close to his family, lived in a lovely village etc etc... he must have been properly "hinged" at some point before he became so unhinged.

I know, I know, I mean more on the face of things he looks like a decent guy. And I know we can't see the full picture on social media but often we get a really bad vibe about people just on first glance of their Facebook page - dark posts, weird quotes, you know the kind of thing I mean. This guy was a headteacher, good job, wholesome hobbies, nice wife, cute kids, close to his family, lived in a lovely village etc etc... he must have been properly "hinged" at some point before he became so unhinged.

There's a massive set of issues around male violence esp domestic violence. It happens enough that I think it's not at all straightforward to predict which men will kill family members (although there does seem to be previous violence in this case, reading between the lines). Thank god the children weren't there. What I'm trying to say is, that many men who end up killing must appear normal, regular guys; able to function and hold down responsibilities.

No, a
Yes it looks like this kind of scenario imo. Plus he'd also quit his job, couldn't cope well with break up I assume.

It's no excuse for murder though. I wish he'd faced up to his problems and gotten help.

no absolutely not, he might have made a completely rational choice of course.
Kind of feels ‘better’ if it wasn’t.
I don’t think I’m explaining myself well

There were two murder victims here, not including the ex-partner. Suicide doesn't appear to be a feature. Sorry if I've misunderstood your post.
I

I don’t think I explained it too well. Sorry.
That was my initial thought, murder suicide gone wrong, or chickened out. That was before I read too much.
A knife doesn’t really fit with that now though, to me.
Shooting yourself is one thing, stabbing yourself, I imagine is much harder.

Rhys Hancock, 39, was at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates' Court this morning.

It is alleged that he murdered Helen Hancock, 39, and Martin Griffiths, 48.

Hancock wore a black suit jacket, white shirt and no tie when he appeared at court.

He spoke only to confirm his personal details.

Magistrates decided that the case was too serious for the lower court and have sent it to be heard at Derby Crown Court.

He is set to appear there on Monday, January 6.

Man appears in court over alleged murder of man and woman in Duffield

There's a massive set of issues around male violence esp domestic violence. It happens enough that I think it's not at all straightforward to predict which men will kill family members (although there does seem to be previous violence in this case, reading between the lines). Thank god the children weren't there. What I'm trying to say is, that many men who end up killing must appear normal, regular guys; able to function and hold down responsibilities.

I know that too, it takes all sorts, it really does. Still, occasionally it’s just more of a shocker than the scum we often find ourselves dealing with here.

From your link Skigh...

A special needs school headteacher stabbed to death his estranged wife and her new boyfriend on New Year's Day after his mother called police to say he was armed with two knives and had gone to their former marital home, a court heard today.

Rhys Hancock, 39, appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates Court this morning charged with murdering the mother of his three children Helen Almey, also 39, and Martin Griffiths, 47.

Hancock flew into a jealous rage and the new couple suffered fatal injuries from 'multiple stab wounds' in a bedroom on January 1, the prosecution said.

The out-of-work headteacher, who found out about their relationship on Boxing Day, drove the ten miles from his mother Christine's house Etwall to his former marital home in Duffield carrying two knives, it is alleged.

A spokeswoman for the Stanton Vale School, a special school in Thoresby Road, Long Eaton, confirmed Hancock previously worked there but left in December 2018.

She said: "Rhys Hancock was employed by the Trust and worked at Stanton Vale School in the capacity of head teacher for a short period which began in September 2018.

He left Stanton Vale due to personal reasons and is no longer employed by the school or the trust.

Man charged with double murder was head teacher at Derbyshire school

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meganreinert
Back