UK - Helen Almey, 39, & Martin Griffiths, 48, Duffield, Derbyshire, 1 Jan 2020 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But wouldn't he have said "What have I done" rather than the reported "What have you done"?
Not necessarily. Lots of people talk to and refer to themselves in the 3rd person,
Thinking about it, Hypothetically, if I was talking to myself, I’d refer to myself as you but talking to my Children something I’d done I’d say
I

Not necessarily. Lots of people talk to and refer to themselves in the 3rd person,
Thinking about it, Hypothetically, if I was talking to myself, I’d refer to myself as you but talking to my Children something I’d done I’d say
I

Ah ok. I never talk to myself in the third person so it struck me as implausible.

Ah ok. I never talk to myself in the third person so it struck me as implausible.
Well, I don’t much.
If I dropped something I’d say in my head,
‘What did you do that for? ‘
For example.

if I dropped something and S aid it out loud to someone else, I’d say
‘What did I do that for?’

Maybe I’m a sociopath but just don’t know it...

Edited to amend spelling etc

Last edited:
I disagree that he was trying to hide it.

Pretty sure you wouldn't just dump your car in the middle of the road, outside your estranged wife's home if you were trying to lie low

I
Hmm. I never refer to myself in the third person normally, but when I was younger and played football if I messed up I'd say 'ahh you ****', or something, referring to myself. It was heat of the moment, but it must have been a few years before I realised the opposing player probably thought I was referring to them.

Thinking about it I'm surprised I never got a punch.

So I can understand someone using the third person in a stressful situation.

I disagree that he was trying to hide it.

Pretty sure you wouldn't just dump your car in the middle of the road, outside your estranged wife's home if you were trying to lie low

doesn’t mean he was admitting that he had killed them...he could have given a story of arriving at the house and finding them dead / injured and hence his call to 999

The “Snapping” Myth: Men who kill women are exerting control, not losing it — Real world criminology, real world criminologist

I found this very interesting, as commentary on DV. Shockingly, an average of 2 women per week in England and Wales are killed by a current or former partner. :(

Of course you can make a valid argument that people are exerting control when they are killing their former partners and it is likely the main motive in many cases. However the flip side of it in a case like this they must be losing control as well in that moment they kill and not really be thinking of the consequences sometimes and occasionally women kill their partners or love rivals in similar circumstances to this case. Here is another report from Sky News about the developments in the case:

Duffield murders: Rhys Hancock in court accused of killing his wife and her lover

Males are of course generally have a tendency towards violence more than women and are responsible for much violence against females than females are against males and this is wrong of course but females do commit crimes of passion in the heat of the moment and here is an example of an infamous UK case:

Ruth Ellis - Wikipedia

Last edited:
doesn’t mean he was admitting that he had killed them...he could have given a story of arriving at the house and finding them dead / injured and hence his call to 999

Surely he would have parked up sensibly had this been the case? Violent ex husband calls in the middle of the night, to save the ex wife and her new boyfriend.

Of course you can make a valid argument that people are exerting control when they are killing their former partners and it is likely the main motive in many cases. However the flip side of it in a case like this they must be losing control as well in that moment they kill and not really be thinking of the consequences sometimes and occasionally women kill their partners or love rivals in similar circumstances to this case. Here is another report from Sky News about the developments in the case:

Duffield murders: Rhys Hancock in court accused of killing his wife and her lover

Males are of course generally have a tendency towards violence more than women and are responsible for much violence against females than females are against males and this is wrong of course but females do commit crimes of passion in the heat of the moment and here is an example of an infamous UK case:

Ruth Ellis - Wikipedia

Of course, women can perpetrate domestic abuse too, but the stats tell us that women are overwhelmingly the victims of this abuse; see this link: Domestic abuse is a gendered crime - Womens Aid

Women are much more likely to be the victims of sexual violence too and to be killed.

I've been reading about Ruth Ellis recently; her story is so sad, and there was a lot of abuse and vulnerability in her youth prior to the crime. If the case happened nowadays, there would be lots of mitigating circumstances for her defense.

None of this is to disagree in the slightest, btw jaejae, I really enjoy getting deep into the psychology of these events.

Of course, women can perpetrate domestic abuse too, but the stats tell us that women are overwhelmingly the victims of this abuse; see this link: Domestic abuse is a gendered crime - Womens Aid

Women are much more likely to be the victims of sexual violence too and to be killed.

I've been reading about Ruth Ellis recently; her story is so sad, and there was a lot of abuse and vulnerability in her youth prior to the crime. If the case happened nowadays, there would be lots of mitigating circumstances for her defense.

None of this is to disagree in the slightest, btw jaejae, I really enjoy getting deep into the psychology of these events.

Good Post. I think it is the psychology of cases like this and the puzzle of cold cases that interest us. But we all hope we do not become directly involved in such things but we are none of us immune from human emotions as the likes of Joe Kenda knows from his experience. Whatever the motives and emotions behind this crime the consequences are terrible and devastating. Children with lost parents and parents with lost children. Cheers.

I think they split/were on and off (his FB implies they split and got together again a few times), but then she finally called it a day...maybe he thought they’d still get back again...but hearing she had a new partner and maybe someone he’d met socially through her running club events...he was consumed with rage and jealously. Maybe he thought they had been having an affair or he had suspicions she had liked him more than friends all along.

Considering he was a Head Teacher as recently as last year and then has gone and done something so horrific, implies maybe he had a mental/psychotic breakdown leading to a split personality / out of body type of sensation/experience afterwards and hence spoke in the 3rd person.

Very sad as up until June last year the new partner seemed very happily married and his wife’s FB shares lots of happy family times, when interviewed she spoke as if she was still in the zone of them not divorced and maybe had been still hopeful for a reunion.

She said the papers had not been reporting that he was married, albeit separated, and had two children - she then posted a family photo. So sad that she and her children / ex have been swept into another family’s tragic drama and awful for the 3 young children left without a Mum, and a Dad they will be unlikely to forgive and probably never see again:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meganreinert
Back