Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all of this.

Just to add that the Daily Mail, not wanting to be left out, have now issued a similar statement, their 'source' being.... THE SUN!

Good old Fail. And I see they've managed to get the all important detail of the house price into their article.

But on a serious note, if the police are now digging up the garden this could be another embarrassing moment for the police. ( am thinking Sian Blake case here ).
They did what seemed to be a very thorough search of the property about a day or two after Helen's partner reported her missing. The search included draining the slurry pit or whatever it's called. So they were in the garden area.
Therefore, wouldn't it have been just common sense to take note of any recent movement of soil/ground in the garden ?

I am in no way a supporter of the Sun, loathe the paper, but in this instance they are only saying what I am sure any person who has followed this disappearance will be thinking. Which doesnt make it right of course for them to reveal a name.

I assumed it was IS after seeing the increased forensic investigation activity at the home address and also the age of the arrested person matching his age. Contact with people who knew them confirmed it. The Sun has possibly made the same assumptions but also could well have asked the police "Is it IS?" and they've given an answer like "We can't confirm or deny" and the newspaper ran with it.

A number of papers got rightfully sued by an innocent man who was tried by newspaper in a relatively recent murder case (Joanna Yates), I'd expect them to be a bit more careful these days.

ETA to add this quote from the scum:

"Yesterday Ian’s parents Brenda and Keith Stewart returned to their home in Letchworth, Hertfordshire, accompanied by an official.
Keith told The Sun: “We don’t have any comment. People are twisting things.”

I assumed it was IS after seeing the increased forensic investigation activity at the home address and also the age of the arrested person matching his age. Contact with people who knew them confirmed it. The Sun has possibly made the same assumptions but also could well have asked the police "Is it IS?" and they've given an answer like "We can't confirm or deny" and the newspaper ran with it.

A number of papers got rightfully sued by an innocent man who was tried by newspaper in a relatively recent murder case (Joanna Yates), I'd expect them to be a bit more careful these days.

The age of the suspect matches, the place of residence [Royston] matches, the increased activity at the home, and the place of arrest [Broadstairs] all point in one direction. It doesn't surprise me that The Sun simply could not resist stating the obvious.

Police now have 24 hours to question the suspect from the time of the arrest, and because this is suspicion of murder, they can then apply for extensions after that first 24 hour period, so we should hear something [eg the person has been released or an extension as been applied for] one way or another within the next few hours

https://www.gov.uk/arrested-your-rights/how-long-you-can-be-held-in-custody

Helen's blog and her second to last post in February

http://planetgrief.com/2016/02/23/stop-gap/#comments

How sad that she doesn't appear to have confided in any of her close friends or family, although I suppose it's very difficult to know if she had - in a situation like this you can't exactly start pointing fingers or jumping to conclusions. I do get the feeling that information has been considerately withheld by her close circle, but I trust the police know more.

Would Helen have made a post as vague as that one in Feb if she was talking about being thrown by IS's health problems? My senses tell me it was something else. Perhaps having that to contend with as well made it harder.

The thing is, if she was that scared of losing IS to bad health and being bereaved all over again after her husband's death, it doesn't add up to wanting to leave - and voluntarily being single again. The separation process doesn't go away.

How sad that she doesn't appear to have confided in any of her close friends or family, although I suppose it's very difficult to know if she had - in a situation like this you can't exactly start pointing fingers or jumping to conclusions. I do get the feeling that information has been considerately withheld by her close circle, but I trust the police know more.

Would Helen have made a post as vague as that one in Feb if she was talking about being thrown by IS's health problems? My senses tell me it was something else. Perhaps having that to contend with as well made it harder.

The thing is, if she was that scared of losing IS to bad health and being bereaved all over again after her husband's death, it doesn't add up to wanting to leave - and voluntarily being single again. The separation process doesn't go away.

BBM I agree. I think it was something more than ISs health problems. There are hints in the tv programme she was watching and neighbour comments (made at the time Helen's disappearance was first noted ) re Helen having just got engaged. Could have been creating stress.

I agree. Whatever was going wrong was going wrong even before IS's illness/surgery. It was back in November she bluntly stated on her blog 'I should never have left London'.

...neighbour comments (made at the time Helen's disappearance was first noted ) re Helen having just got engaged.

This is something I was puzzling over earlier in this thread and I am still not sure where those remarks about her being engaged originated.

One female neighbour said: 'Police said to us that they were about to get married].'

Another, a 43-year-old who did not want to be named, said: 'When the police came round they referred to Ian as her fiance, but I didn't know they were engaged. She always spoke really highly of Ian. She thinks he is lovely. He is a really sweet guy.

Others said Mrs Bailey had not been wearing a ring and would have announced her engagement.
BBM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-s-author-disappeared-dog.html#ixzz4EBqPnCxQ

I cannot find any friends or relatives of Helen saying WTTEO 'she had recently got engaged'/was about to get married, just neighbours citing what the police told them.

So who told the police that? Possibly a question we will never get an answer to.

Hadn't heard of this case until I saw a news report yesterday. How much longer can they question him without a charge?

I agree. Whatever was going wrong was going wrong even before IS's illness/surgery. It was back in November she bluntly stated on her blog 'I should never have left London'.

This is something I was puzzling over earlier in this thread and I am still not sure where those remarks about her being engaged originated.

BBM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-s-author-disappeared-dog.html#ixzz4EBqPnCxQ

I cannot find any friends or relatives of Helen saying WTTEO 'she had recently got engaged'/was about to get married, just neighbours citing what the police told them.

So who told the police that? Possibly a question we will never get an answer to.

It sounds to me like something someone might say to make the relationship appear more solid than it was. Without thinking of the consequences of Helen not having told anyone close to her.

I'm not doubting it was something they had discussed, but I feel Helen resisted and it developed into a make or break situation.

I had not realised until this morning that Helen had set up a new blog, separate to Planet Grief' which she sadly never got a chance to post on.

http://andbeyond.life/

Sorry I can't recall which page of her blog I found this on.

Hadn't heard of this case until I saw a news report yesterday. How much longer can they question him without a charge?

Hi Jerrica, it has been a very strange case, and very low key in terms of publicity up to now.

The police can hold you for up to 24 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you.

They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 96 hours if you’re suspected of a serious crime, eg murder.

https://www.gov.uk/arrested-your-rights/how-long-you-can-be-held-in-custody

Ah thanks for that link Nellie, I was just trying to find it to refresh myself re the 96 hour schedule.

Helen's blog and her second to last post in February

http://planetgrief.com/2016/02/23/stop-gap/#comments

This is so sad, she seems to be such a lovely person... I have been following the case from the beginning, I had the hope that she was taking some time "off" and would eventually turn up, especially since Boris is also missing :-( but it doesn't seem like there will be a happy ending to this story...
I'm wondering if she's referring to a possible split with her partner in the blog post? If indeed he did something to her, there might have been other events leading up to that, that made her doubt the future of the relationship JMO.

There is a section in Helen's book - I will have a scroll through later and try to post it on here - where she talks about always having had a premonition /foreboding that something bad (sorry I cant remember the exact word she used, but it was a fear ) was going to happen in her lifetime.

When her husband drowned she said she realised that was what she had had the premonition about.

In light of what we know now, I find it incredibly sad.

I am new to Websleuths but have been following this sad story
If her partner is indeed guilty, I would question the circumstances surrounding his wife's death...

If her partner is indeed guilty, I would question the circumstances surrounding his wife's death...

Welcome, Fay!
:welcome:

I totally agree with you. Could he have done something to his wife which caused her to have a fatal fit?

If you're interested in UK cases we have an index, see my link below.

Hi Fay and :welcome6: to Websleuths

Indeed it would be very sensible for the police to check the circumstances, if only to clear things one way or the other.

As to whether he is guilty with regard to Helen, I think there are only two possible scenarios here and I hope we get to the true one.

Thanks for that lnk Neteditor.....

Re the sentence I've snipped below - does this mean they found Helen's handbag recently and did this give them the final amount of evidence to make an arrest ? Or am I reading it wrong.

and police previously believed she had her handbag with her.

Read more at http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/for...9503102-detail/story.html#bcLJleel5ompf39W.99

eta, all the outside work seems to be taking place in the front garden. To me that doesnt suggest burial of a body when there is a much larger, more secluded, back garden area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState