GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a lurker breaching for a moment here to ask if her husband has been looked at? I don't necessarily think he is guilty but typically police investigations work from the center out, and I haven't seen, or have missed, any discussion of his been checked out and/or cleared.
MOO A bit of discomfort I do have is that her husband's two adult sons live at home with the couple. That might mean nothing as my adult daughter lived at home for awhile just after university. I am curious how that arrangement worked for Helen, being the new woman in dad's life.

Nothing has been reported other than the police do not suspect any third party involvement. But at the same time, they also state in the article that they trust no one, which is exactly how it should be.

What is meant by 3rd party involvement? Or, ftm, 2nd party? What would be the distinction between the two?
To me, Helen seems too caring of others to be voluntarily missing for this length of time.

What is meant by 3rd party involvement? Or, ftm, 2nd party? What would be the distinction between the two?
To me, Helen seems too caring of others to be voluntarily missing for this length of time.

I read 3rd party as meaning no one else is involved in her disappearance.

I completely agree that, from everything I have read about Helen, she is far too caring to put her family and friends through this level of worry. I do believe that if she were able to contact them then she would have done so before now.

“Has she fallen in a ditch? Well, we’ve searched all the areas that we know that she could have gone to. It has been hot weather. If she did have the dog, if she had come to harm, then the dog would have wandered off and someone would have found that dog. No one has found that dog,” she says.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...issing-mystery-disappearance-childrens-author

I don't own a dog, but it occurred to me that a dog may stay close to its injured owner, rather than wandering off. What say the dog owners amongst us?

What is meant by 3rd party involvement? Or, ftm, 2nd party? What would be the distinction between the two?.

Very odd wording. Normally "third party" means someone external to a relationship between the first and second party. In a crime, it means someone other than the victim and perp(s).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...issing-mystery-disappearance-childrens-author

I don't own a dog, but it occurred to me that a dog may stay close to its injured owner, rather than wandering off. What say the dog owners amongst us?

I have discussed this with my dog pals and they all said that yes, the dog would stay close to the injured owner, but also that the dog would be making some noise ( at least they say theirs would ) so unless Helen had wandered into a remote area then surely someone would have been alerted by Boris eventually.

In the lastest article a few things stood out to me and here they are.

""Wheatley says they are still pursuing the theory that she “made herself disappear” as their key line of investigation. The idea is fuelled by a passage in an article she wrote about the experience of being widowed, on her blog Planet Grief, where she recounts a desire to walk out on her first marriage and vanish. I “announced that I was going to disappear,” she wrote. “I’d seen a programme about people who just vanish to start a new life under a new identity, and bolting appealed to me.” "

I am hoping this is the case that she and Boris are together and she is writing a book about starting a new life and a new identity. I feel bad for her family and fiance but given the other probable alternative, at least someday she and Boris may turn up to be safe.

Hi, I first came to Websleuths not long ago after reading an article on Medium about "Lyle Stevak"--the unidentified man who killed himself in a motel in Grey's Harbor....but this week I read about Helen Bailey. I haven't been here long enough probably to make a list of what we DO know, but several things about this case send up my internal red flag alert. Mainly, those red flags are screaming "something's not right about the press coverage of this case," although other things might be at work here.

First, I'm an author (fiction), so, naturally, an author going missing is going to get my attention. Second to that, my imagination might be getting the best of me here, and so I claim no neutrality. BUT...if I were writing this tale...I would look very closely at one or both of the sons of Mr. Stewart AND any of their friends who have been to the house. Thirdly, it seems quite odd, as someone else pointed out that she would take the road behind her house instead of in front of it to walk the dog. My guess: a very specific destination. Fourth...does anyone else think it's odd that all the press reports (unless I've missed one--always possible) say that she "had access" to a large sum of money....so, I'm thinking it's still at the house (or in a bank by now) and no one wanted to broadcast that a large amount of money was in the house for apparently some period of time before Helen disappeared. So, was ANY of it missing...any amount?

No one can say how another person should or will grieve for a loved one, or even what it will look like; having said that, a few observations: It seems she's been grieving over her first husband a long, long time, and despite her grief therapist's comment and comments from some friends, any 'getting over it' might have been rapidly derailed were she to suddenly discover something previously unknown to her. What kinds of things? Finding out about a large sum of money in her own home or finding something (or finding something out) about Mr. Stewart's first wife's "mysterious death in the garden," just for examples. Did anyone other than me get a sense from the coverage that Mr. Stewart being her "fiance" seemed a surprise to some? Beyond that, does anyone really believe that one leaves someone one is in love with without any notice whatsoever UNLESS 1) foul play 2) psychotic break or 3) an affair with...someone else, possibly someone younger or 4) a fear so great and so close and so immediate that total flight seems the ONLY alternative?

No one leaves forever with a note about "needing some space." When was that note written...was it just written? Written two years earlier after a minor tiff with B/F? You are engaged to someone and you leave a note about needing space? And don't return, no word, no nothing? Nope, not unless there was trouble in Paradise. And finally...she was close to her mum and brother...I have to wonder what they are thinking about this.

What's especially bothersome is the feeling I'm getting that it could be any of these...or any two or three of these. There is something we don't know that law enforcement does. They use words like baffling, mysterious, etc etc., but something specific about it has baffled them beyond the overall mystery of where is she. I wonder what?

Wow, "Stevek" and Bailey...two tough ones!

Hi, I first came to Websleuths not long ago after reading an article on Medium about "Lyle Stevak"--the unidentified man who killed himself in a motel in Grey's Harbor....but this week I read about Helen Bailey. I haven't been here long enough probably to make a list of what we DO know, but several things about this case send up my internal red flag alert. Mainly, those red flags are screaming "something's not right about the press coverage of this case," although other things might be at work here.

First, I'm an author (fiction), so, naturally, an author going missing is going to get my attention. Second to that, my imagination might be getting the best of me here, and so I claim no neutrality. BUT...if I were writing this tale...I would look very closely at one or both of the sons of Mr. Stewart AND any of their friends who have been to the house. Thirdly, it seems quite odd, as someone else pointed out that she would take the road behind her house instead of in front of it to walk the dog. My guess: a very specific destination. Fourth...does anyone else think it's odd that all the press reports (unless I've missed one--always possible) say that she "had access" to a large sum of money....so, I'm thinking it's still at the house (or in a bank by now) and no one wanted to broadcast that a large amount of money was in the house for apparently some period of time before Helen disappeared. So, was ANY of it missing...any amount?

No one can say how another person should or will grieve for a loved one, or even what it will look like; having said that, a few observations: It seems she's been grieving over her first husband a long, long time, and despite her grief therapist's comment and comments from some friends, any 'getting over it' might have been rapidly derailed were she to suddenly discover something previously unknown to her. What kinds of things? Finding out about a large sum of money in her own home or finding something (or finding something out) about Mr. Stewart's first wife's "mysterious death in the garden," just for examples. Did anyone other than me get a sense from the coverage that Mr. Stewart being her "fiance" seemed a surprise to some? Beyond that, does anyone really believe that one leaves someone one is in love with without any notice whatsoever UNLESS 1) foul play 2) psychotic break or 3) an affair with...someone else, possibly someone younger or 4) a fear so great and so close and so immediate that total flight seems the ONLY alternative?

No one leaves forever with a note about "needing some space." When was that note written...was it just written? Written two years earlier after a minor tiff with B/F? You are engaged to someone and you leave a note about needing space? And don't return, no word, no nothing? Nope, not unless there was trouble in Paradise. And finally...she was close to her mum and brother...I have to wonder what they are thinking about this.

What's especially bothersome is the feeling I'm getting that it could be any of these...or any two or three of these. There is something we don't know that law enforcement does. They use words like baffling, mysterious, etc etc., but something specific about it has baffled them beyond the overall mystery of where is she. I wonder what?

Wow, "Stevek" and Bailey...two tough ones!

MOO Thank you for just putting out there what I was hinting at regarding new husband and his 2 adult sons. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. Apparently H is very close with her mother, so I cannot imagine H causing so much strife and stress for her aging mom. Nor for an ill husband who apparently has a medical situation/crisis(?). Additionally, the large sum of money.....hmmm......what's going on there? My antennae are super perked.

MOO Thank you for just putting out there what I was hinting at regarding new husband and his 2 adult sons. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. Apparently H is very close with her mother, so I cannot imagine H causing so much strife and stress for her aging mom. Nor for an ill husband who apparently has a medical situation/crisis(?). Additionally, the large sum of money.....hmmm......what's going on there? My antennae are super perked.

Yep, super perked.

btw has anyone done a google aerial view of the neighborhood...any cliffs around there?

Likewise, this point below. If it were someone close to me who was missing, I would take every opportunity to keep her disappearance in the public eye and would be very willing to be interviewed, even if I thought I had nothing new to say. Perhaps it is just me, but I do feel a certain reluctance here.

Neither her brother nor her partner wanted to be interviewed, saying they had nothing new to add, and a Facebook campaign group, Where is Helen Bailey?, set up by three of her friends, said they had “to reflect the family’s wishes”, and were also unwilling to comment.

I don't think you can necessarily read anything untoward into this. Some people are just very shy or very private and hate being the focus of attention, so would leave it to others to front public statements in situations like this.

btw has anyone done a google aerial view of the neighborhood...any cliffs around there?

Lord no. Royston is in the south east Midlands/edge of East Anglia flat bit. The nearest high ground of any sort is the Chiltern Hills well to the south west.

I don't think you can necessarily read anything untoward into this. Some people are just very shy or very private and hate being the focus of attention, so would leave it to others to front public statements in situations like this.

Yes I can understand that and, if it had been a public interview ( which Helen's brother did a few weeks back ) I can see that some people are just not able to have the spotlight on them and would not be able to cope.
But this was a national newspaper and the interview would have been done in private - and hopefully the publicity would help to keep Helen in the news.
This just flagged up as a puzzle to me, but as I said, perhaps just me.

The biggest mystery (or call it red flag) for me is the note. What chance of leaving a note saying she's going off AND something happening to her (by a stranger) in that time, so family don't raise concern for 5 days.

I'm suspecting foul play here. For various reasons, I've ruled out Helen going into hiding or committing suicide.

All kinds of problems with that note...

Her partner says he went out to run some errands and when he returned [after a thus far unspecified length of time], he found a note from Helen saying [according to the Chief Inspector who may have been paraphrasing] 'Going to Broadstairs. Need some space'.

I find it very curious that she wrote this note, then apparently took the dog for one last stroll around the area, before disappearing without trace, having made no planning/preparation of any kind. She took no luggage, no car, had no train tickets booked, no passport: she told no one - not even her mother who she loved and spoke to every three days] and has not been heard or seen from since.

I am not buying this at all. It doesn't make sense that she would be all urgent and brusque like that, [write a quick note and scarper while he's out of the house] and then hang around the locality walking the dog.

Personally, I think if that sighting of her walking Boris on the afternoon of Monday 11th was correct, then she went home afterwards as normal....and the implications of that - if true - would indeed be foul.

The content of the note was stated in this Guardian interview which was posted upthread. Well worth reading imo.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/30/helen-bailey-missing-mystery-disappearance-childrens-author

ETA: of course she could have been 'taken' by a stranger on the Heath... a stranger who also nabbed Boris. Not likely imo.

Did Helen move into her husband's home or did they move together into a new-to-them home?
I can imagine how unsettling it would be to have the new wife move into "dad and mom's" home.
If it was a home new to Helen and Ian, how odd and uncomfortable, for Helen especially, to have his 2 adult sons then move in with them.
Msm never really mentions the sons. I don't necessarily believe they caused her "disappearance", but I do believe it would have been a most awkward living arrangement on many levels.

Did Helen move into her husband's home or did they move together into a new-to-them home?
I can imagine how unsettling it would be to have the new wife move into "dad and mom's" home.

They moved into a house that was new to both of them.

I'm not liking the fact that she left while he was out.

What is wrong with saying to someone you need space, and you've decided to go to Broadstairs for a breather? Instead of bolting.

She is a mature, communicative person, cares for her partner and her mother, yet she leaves a cryptic note. Suggesting she couldn't wait, had to go without any discussion. Unless there were problems in the relationship or she had been acting strange recently, which I think that article dismissed.

I'm sure the train station would have a record of someone buying a ticket to Broadstairs, cash or otherwise. Her partner would know if she did the trip regularly how she preferred to travel, with her dog.

No activity on her bank account - she may have had access to a large amount of cash but why would she suddenly decide to use cash only, presumably savings. That sounds like someone who doesn't want to be traced but her saying where she is going is not worried about being traced. So I don't think she's gone missing voluntarily.

Sorry but he went to their holiday home to look for her. Why, is what I would be asking. She's said she wants space. Ok, she's not answering her phone, and that might be very unusual for her, but is that a reason to go after her, if she is having time out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState