GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this in an article dated April 22 - ref Two police officers living in the house.
Again, I think it shows how seriously the police were taking this disappearance right from the beginning.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: "There are two police officers living in the house and the fact that they have searched the sceptic tank and gardens is just adding to the worry that something terrible has happened to Helen. Police have also questioned dog walkers who were the last to see her several times.

Read more at http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/det...9159021-detail/story.html#vPXs4CIp4CUolPPT.99

I see the Where is Helen Bailey Face Book page, started by her friends and to which her partner had also posted a comment, was taken down yesterday..

I had not realised until this morning that Helen had set up a new blog, separate to Planet Grief' which she sadly never got a chance to post on.

http://andbeyond.life/

Sorry I can't recall which page of her blog I found this on.

Great find, thank you!

From looking at that page metadata, the photo was uploaded in November 2015. To me, it very much anticipates that she was planning on closing a 'bad chapter' in her life, and moving on in a way that would require her to be a 'big girl' ie face the world on her own.

That, in conjunction with the February blog posting that says things have been going badly since Christmas (people very commonly wait until after Christmas to make waves in the family), and her public comments about regretting leaving London, add up, to me, to her wanting to change her life, and not wanting to give in/go along or run away.

She had turned 50, gotten through widowhood, and become quite successful, probably financially successful. That is when a woman discovers her power over her own life. That newfound power and developing assertiveness can be very threatening to a partner who is used to having things his way.

It makes me feel quite angry that she would have been painted as some helpless creature who must have run away or killed herself because she couldn't cope with the feelings of loss. I think she was strong, but not aggressive, trying to placate, trying to compromise and be fair, but sometimes other people will do anything to get back the control they feel they've lost.

Oh I hope this isn't going to be like the Claudia Lawrence case with years of repeated arrests and bailing but never any charges.

Random point - my sister is a widow in her 40's and she never intends to marry again, partly because she believes that nobody could replace her deceased husband but also because she would lose the right to any of her husbands pension if she did marry someone new. I wonder was there an argument about getting engaged?

Thanks for that lnk Neteditor.....

Re the sentence I've snipped below - does this mean they found Helen's handbag recently and did this give them the final amount of evidence to make an arrest ? Or am I reading it wrong.

and police previously believed she had her handbag with her.

Read more at http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/for...9503102-detail/story.html#bcLJleel5ompf39W.99

eta, all the outside work seems to be taking place in the front garden. To me that doesnt suggest burial of a body when there is a much larger, more secluded, back garden area.

That turn of phrase also made me wonder. It certainly seems to be suggesting they thought wrong or have discovered otherwise.

Great find, thank you!

From looking at that page metadata, the photo was uploaded in November 2015. To me, it very much anticipates that she was planning on closing a 'bad chapter' in her life, and moving on in a way that would require her to be a 'big girl' ie face the world on her own.

That, in conjunction with the February blog posting that says things have been going badly since Christmas (people very commonly wait until after Christmas to make waves in the family), and her public comments about regretting leaving London, add up, to me, to her wanting to change her life, and not wanting to give in/go along or run away.

She had turned 50, gotten through widowhood, and become quite successful, probably financially successful. That is when a woman discovers her power over her own life. That newfound power and developing assertiveness can be very threatening to a partner who is used to having things his way.

It makes me feel quite angry that she would have been painted as some helpless creature who must have run away or killed herself because she couldn't cope with the feelings of loss. I think she was strong, but not aggressive, trying to placate, trying to compromise and be fair, but sometimes other people will do anything to get back the control they feel they've lost.

Excellent summary Satchie, makes a lot of sense.

I initially thought that the story about the engagement might have been created by Helen's partner in order to show there was nothing wrong in their lives, everything was going great. But earlier comments seemed to indicate that none of Helen's friends knew of any engagement - and it would have been odd for her not to share the news - which made me think it might be fabricated.

But I am now inclined to believe it was true, or at least that the idea of getting engaged/married had been discussed ( the references in Helen's blog to watching Say Yes To The Dress, a programme re bridal gowns could be a hint that marriage was a possibility) and that this was the main reason that things had not been going well since just after Christmas.
I know I have said something along these lines earlier in the thread, but I can fully understand how someone who has led a busy vibrant, childless,life in London, would find it way too difficult to settle into Royston and have to share her home with others.

I do think that money may be involved here, possibly not theft, but rather in the sense that Helen wanted to move on and this would have created financial problems for others.

I'm mulling things over, as you do, and two things strike chords with me. First is that the police said new information had come to light which lead to the arrest. The other is the line highlighted above by Alyce, about them possibly discovering her handbag wasn't missing after all. I suspect this is the new information.

How often do we women leave home without our bag, especially if we're going to be away for a bit. It's one thing to say her bank cards and phone hadn't been used, after all they thought she had access to a lot of cash at home. But leaving without a bag? And as a writer I'd place bets on her lugging around various notebooks and pens for capturing those ideas that always strike when you're away from your desk.

Harking back again to the Joanna Yates case, they knew she had disappeared from her home because her bag, coat and shoes were there. I think if HB's bag was found at the Royston house they'd have no option but to seriously question the people who would have access to her at home. Especially if those people had fabricated notes/stories about her needing some space away. I wonder if they have even seen this supposed note. Say it was genuine, would you keep it or just trash it with the rest of the recycling?

To me there seem to be only two possibilities. Harm has come to her at home, or while she walked the dog. I guess I might not bother with a bag, phone etc if I was just doing a quick run round the block at wee-wee time. I've known a mini dachshund and they get tired fairly quickly, their long back is not conducive to lots of exercise. Although ours just loved to vanish down rabbit holes at every opportunity! Have we regular dog walkers among us who can say if a dog walk is a bag excursion or not?

The fact they don't seem to have found any CCTV of her at public transport locations is a big worry.

Good observations. Bottom line she either never left home in the first place or something happened while walking Borris, and whichever scenario happened, poor Borris suffered the same fate . regarding the note - who's to say it was a current one, could have been lying around for months and was not written at all when she went missing...

No one knows. The partner has given very little information in public about what transpired before she left [he says he went out to run some errands and when he returned she had gone, leaving a note saying WTTEO 'I need some time alone'], and we do not even have a date/time of the last fully confirmed sighting of her. If you read this thread you will know as much as we do, which is not a lot!

Thank you Nellie, for the quick synopsis!

Thanks for that lnk Neteditor.....

Re the sentence I've snipped below - does this mean they found Helen's handbag recently and did this give them the final amount of evidence to make an arrest ? Or am I reading it wrong.

and police previously believed she had her handbag with her.

Read more at http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/for...9503102-detail/story.html#bcLJleel5ompf39W.99

eta, all the outside work seems to be taking place in the front garden. To me that doesnt suggest burial of a body when there is a much larger, more secluded, back garden area.

bbm- Maybe they are looking for the little dog?

Thank you Nellie, for the quick synopsis!

bbm- Maybe they are looking for the little dog?

Yes am sure they are looking for Boris as well. However, it was my mistake, when I looked at the DM article, there are pics of the police searching both front and back garden.

To me there seem to be only two possibilities. Harm has come to her at home, or while she walked the dog. I guess I might not bother with a bag, phone etc if I was just doing a quick run round the block at wee-wee time. I've known a mini dachshund and they get tired fairly quickly, their long back is not conducive to lots of exercise. Although ours just loved to vanish down rabbit holes at every opportunity! Have we regular dog walkers among us who can say if a dog walk is a bag excursion or not?

The fact they don't seem to have found any CCTV of her at public transport locations is a big worry.

I've got dogs (mini dachshunds actually) and I wouldn't have taken a handbag to walk them, even for a longish walk. I'd just shove my phone in one pocket and maybe some cash in the other if I needed something while I was out.

I think if she'd left her handbag behind and disappeared on the walk, it would have been quickly discovered by her partner and LE. Then there's the note, one wouldn't leave it out until actually leaving, nothing more awkward than walking in on your partner reading your 'I've run away from home' note. Not to mention the mysterious thousands of pounds that she surely wouldn't take dog walking.

Here are the questions that stand out in this case to me, aside from the obvious one of what happened to her:
1. Was it her partner who claimed to LE that they were recently engaged, though no one else has publicly confirmed it?
2. Why would she leave him a note saying she was taking time to herself in Broadstairs if they'd recently got engaged?
3. Why didn't he become concerned about her until several days had passed - recently engaged people do not go days without news or contact.
4. Why would she take her phone but keep it turned off even as she left the house.
5. What's with this large sum of cash that she may have taken but no one's sure.
6. Why, after being missing for a month without turning her phone or accessing her money would he write her a note, asking her to "listen carefully". "We promised each other 30 years please keep that promise and come home. Whatever has happened, wherever you are I will come and get you and Boris". Although the papers called it 'heartfelt', it actually sounds extremely possessive to me.

I wonder who the last person to see her was aside from IS? Just because he says she was last seen on a particular date doesn't mean it is the actual date she "vanished".

According to an article in one of the newspapers, friends are dropping off food for IS, encouraging him to eat. Clearly they do not suspect him...

According to an article in one of the newspapers, friends are dropping off food for IS, encouraging him to eat. Clearly they do not suspect him...

Do you mean this one? Because I took it to mean they had been doing that since Helen disappeared, not necessarily during yesterday. Then again you might have meant they didn't suspect him prior to his arrest..

[FONT=&amp]"One of Helen’s close friends, who did not want to be named, yesterday told how people had been cooking food and dropping it off for Mr Stewart to make sure he was eating."
[/FONT]

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-dig-up-garden-search-8408857

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members