GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
His mindset is reminding me of hoarders. I've watched a few of those programmes. They all seem to have had some kind of traumatic loss and hoarding stuff is their emotional coping mechanism. IS hoards money. Actually I'll amend that - he steals and hoards other people's money.

As well as being a psychopath.

Helen's book P. 312 - Life, Death and Laundry

Even other people's clutter can have me hyperventilating. I recently had a peek into GGHW's loft; it was packed with stuff. I felt quite ill just looking at it, which was completely irrational because it wasn't even my stuff. When I was told that there was another loft, equally as jammed to the rafters, I became quite hysterical and had to hit the sherry bottle to calm down.
(Isn't she marvellous) and yes, Tortoise you were spot on.

It's just occurred to me that IS made a couple of posts on a private fb group or page referencing Diane's death (one in June 2016 I believe, in which he said he failed at CPR, and another on her birthday in 2011, 10 months after she'd died, saying he wasn't bothered).

I'm not sure if police would be able to find these seeing as his computer was cleared and as it's a closed group or whatever the terminology is - not being on fb myself - but if anyone here has got them, they might want to inform the police what they have, during this enquiry.

The only other thing I found was Diane passed on the 25th of June 2010.

Thanks to all . Yes I count myself lucky! But once there is a 'diagnosis' it's written in stone. Doctors hating to lose face (not all of them of course). Diane's sister would know much more but we can't approach her really. However she appears to be someone who would really fight for the truth. Diane appeared to lead an active life though, wasn't an 'invalid'. And there was a mention where IS said that his marriage wasn't great but could be bloody good when it was good. No quotation as I'm not sure of the words but it gives an indication of the way IS expected everything. No mention of Diane's feelings, as if he were the only one who mattered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Author’s killer watched wife die in garden

Last week Ian Stewart was convicted of murdering Helen Bailey. Now light has been shed on an earlier, puzzling death

Robin Henry, James Gillespie and Ella Duffy
February 26 2017, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

The murderer of the children’s author Helen Bailey watched as his first wife died in their back garden, then brushed off questions about the cause of death, according to a witness.

Ian Stewart, 56, was jailed last week for 34 years after being convicted of the murder of Bailey, his fiancée, whose body was found in the cesspit of their £1.5m home in Royston, Hertfordshire. The body was discovered three months after Stewart reported her missing.

The court heard that he had been drugging Bailey, 51, with sleeping pills for months before killing her and dumping the body and that of Boris, her dachshund, into the pit under their garage.

After the case police said they would re-examine the circumstances of the unexpected death of Stewart’s first wife, Diane, 47, in 2010. The couple lived in a quiet close in Bassingbourn, on the border of Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire, not far from the house where Stewart killed Bailey.

A neighbour told The Sunday Times an air ambulance landed in the garden of his home in June 2010. “I left my house and headed to their [Stewart’s] bungalow and found paramedics already there,” said the neighbour, who asked not be identified.

“Their side gate was open and I could see Diane lying in the back garden with a paramedic performing CPR on her. Ian was watching. He looked very pale. I saw the paramedic turn to his colleague and shake his head to signal nothing more could be done. I caught Ian’s eye and realised I was intruding on something very private and tragic and had to leave.”

Three months later the neighbour visited Stewart to see how the widower was coping, but found him defensive. “We [the neighbourhood] still didn’t know how she died. I went to see how he was doing and felt enough time had passed to ask if there was an explanation for her death.

“He seemed annoyed and said ‘no, not really’ and ‘nothing came out of the post- mortem’. We didn’t hear anything about epilepsy until much later.

“I know her family said she couldn’t drive, but it was always him who seemed to have the health problems. Ambulances came for him a couple of times. I don’t know the exact reasons why.”

The neighbour said Diane was popular in the community and well known through her work at local schools. Ian was “nice enough”.

The view of him has changed with recent events. “When we heard [Bailey] was missing we thought ‘how terrible for him — after everything’. When they found her body we started seeing everything in a different light. There’s a lot of anger towards him for what he’s done.”

As he handed Stewart a life sentence last week, Judge Andrew Bright QC said financial gain had been the “principal motive” for the killing. Bailey’s personal fortune was put at about £4m.

“You knew Helen Bailey to be a wealthy woman, but were not content with having to share in her wealth as her husband. Instead you wanted it all for yourself,” the judge said. “I am firmly of the view that you currently pose a real danger to women with whom you form a relationship.”

After the death of his first wife, Stewart received £28,000 from Cambridgeshire county council, a £33,000 life insurance policy and £16,000 from a Legal and General policy. Three weeks after she died he bought an MG sports car.

Unusually, there is no record of a will or a grant of probate having been made in Diane Stewart’s name.

He later sold the Bassingbourn property for £520,000 and put £470,000 into his home with Bailey.

Relatives of Diane said he would not show them the death certificate even though the document, seen by The Sunday Times, states merely “sudden unexpected death in epilepsy” and “Verdict: natural causes”.

Noreen Lem, Diane’s mother, has welcomed the police decision to look again at her daughter’s unexpected death. She told The Sun: “She was fit, happy and healthy and too young to suddenly die. It was such a shock. Now there’s a possibility her husband had something to do with it.”

Another family member, who did not wish to be named, said: “We were told at the time it was an unexplained death — it has been on my mind that it was unexplained. [Stewart] was the only one there when she died . . . I know her brother and sister have been very concerned. ”

In 2013 Diane’s sister Wendy Bellamy-Lee raised her concerns on social media, saying the family was “still . . . numb and completely shocked . . . as to why it happened, with so many unanswered questions.”

Just wanted to highlight :fishy:

Yes he was probably well aware of the 'risks' she faced. I wonder did he ever do martial arts? I read something by a school fellow* that IS did a lot of sports but then he was big enough to over power a woman.

Just bumping this back up the thread in case Powertool* comes back here to WS.

It's just occurred to me that IS made a couple of posts on a private fb group or page referencing Diane's death (one in June 2016 I believe, in which he said he failed at CPR, and another on her birthday in 2011, 10 months after she'd died, saying he wasn't bothered).

I'm not sure if police would be able to find these seeing as his computer was cleared and as it's a closed group or whatever the terminology is - not being on fb myself - but if anyone here has got them, they might want to inform the police what they have, during this enquiry.

And I think Squamous referred to these Tortoise so she may have seen them. In this day and age and with the private suspicions you would think that a member would have screenshotted that June 2016 post that he made.

Another definition:

What is SUDEP?
Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP) is said to occur when a person with epilepsy dies unexpectedly and was previously in their usual state of health. The death is not known to be related to an accident or seizure emergency such as status epilepticus. When an autopsy is done, no other of cause of death can be found.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/impact/mortality/sudep/sudep-faq

It sounds as if because she had epilepsy, the coroner jumped to an easy assumption - a kind of neat tying up of the COD? They didn`t look to deeply into other possibilities?

It sounds as if because she had epilepsy, the coroner jumped to an easy assumption - a kind of neat tying up of the COD? They didn`t look to deeply into other possibilities?
Yeah, obviously we don't know what other findings there were but it seems to be the case that if you have epilepsy and you die and they can't find a cause of death then it's recorded as Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy.

And I think Squamous referred to these Tortoise so she may have seen them. In this day and age and with the private suspicions you would think that a member would have screenshotted that June 2016 post that he made.

I didn't see them but think it was Snoopydog who had? I think she also said WTTE that at least one of the comments was on his personal page and that she'd unfriended him after his arrest.

"... the document, seen by The Sunday Times, states merely “sudden unexpected death in epilepsy” and “Verdict: natural causes”.

If he suffocated Diane also would that show up on autopsy( assuming no bruises) orjust be assumed she died from epilepsy?

Thoughts but no point of reference (sorry you know me with linkage).

IS used Helen's 'biography' to sharpen up his Defence strategy. He used it in the 'note' she was supposed to have left. (Broadstairs). He used it in his first call to the Police, informing of her missing. During that call he talked of Helen being 'anxious'. Helen wrote endlessly, in poetic licence, of 'anxiety' and in his theft of this he brought it to the present tense during the days of 11th and 15th April. He added 'menopausal' to underline Helen's 'weakness' (in his eyes!!!).
This suggests historical use of facts with Diane. Another gathering of 'information', which he can then use in the Court of Law to protect himself.
And so we see a marrying of circumstantial process here. He refers to a diagnosis of Epilepsy when Diane was 16. It may not be connected to the hyperventilation during Jamie's birth and her hospital attack.
But this Nobody studies the history of his partners very well and in gleaning their personal information, or their written information, digests it and turns it around to his advantage in attempting to screen a death.

If he suffocated Diane also would that show up on autopsy( assuming no bruises) orjust be assumed she died from epilepsy?

It depends how he did it but if he did whatever he did to Helen then they couldn't determine cause of death for Helen so chances are they wouldn't have determined cause of death for Diane either and could put it down to Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy

I didn't see them but think it was Snoopydog who had? I think she also said WTTE that at least one of the comments was on his personal page and that she'd unfriended him after his arrest.

I was never friends with him on fb. That was someone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "not bothered" was definitely quoted in a much earlier thread. I've no idea how to search though, sorry.

Mandy Lem - I am still completely stunned that you are not part of our lives anymore.
I know this is how we feel in loss but I am reading more into 'completely stunned' than natural causes.

I have searched FB - and IS page ends with his MG sports car. He has 'no friends' on his page - and only a few photos of family gatherings.

Ah well, I've a copy here of the posts but not being a facebook user I don't understand how I could inform the police where the shots came from. The OP is reluctant to do it.

999d5cc3a828bb6288c7a22a5a8e939b.jpg

And

IS posted somewhere on June 25th 2016....

Six years today !!
I failed with CPR, was always probably in vain
So much has happened
Grief left me totally "mind ****ed" but was determined to live how Diane and I always tried to saying OLLI ( One Life Live It ) if we had second thoughts about doing something.
Found support in this group and others and was a regular poster signing off with OLLI. Some may remember me.
Got virtual hugs from many, which meant so much. Met up with some on line widowed friends (through organised events and/or for a coffee) and some of those virtual hugs turned into real ones and real friends. I realised slowly that new meaningful life was possible and not just a wishful dream.
Stopped posting because found it hard to cope with the raw grief of newly widowed. Guilty that I could not offer the support I had received. Helen more than makes up for the support I do not give. Sometimes that support takes an unacceptable toll on Helen.
Built a new life with Helen. We helped each other cope with the grief. Media reports that we are over our grief are untrue we have just learnt to live on a daily basis with the grief and at times we comfort each other as necessary. Also we have both NOT "moved on" but "moved forward" the past will always be there but there is a future ( or was ).
Now nearly 12 weeks have passed and I have been become "mind ****ed" again. It is like grief but there is "no end to the beginning". Don't know what I feel, what I want except the obvious. Trying to remember to OLLI easy to say hard to do.
Just felt the need to post this and thank those that have contacted me with messages of support. Today and in recent weeks.
Ian
sorry about the language but that is how it is

Of course! I AM slow! He clearly half expected or expected that he would be under suspicion for Diane's death after the trial or during it! Hence the ramble about her. Oh sorry I really am slow, lol

Of course! I AM slow! He clearly half expected or expected that he would be under suspicion for Diane's death after the trial or during it! Hence the ramble about her. Oh sorry I really am slow, lol

And if you look how long he spent talking about the background to her death, going back to an epileptic fit at 16, compared to when he talked about her actual death. He summed the latter up in one line. He just gave the year she died. He left out how she died, where she died,how she was found, who found her (that only he was present) etc etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState