GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another 5 minutes of famer, if you ask me. Wants his name cleared? It literally couldn't be any clearer.

Indeed. Anything done to try and clear his name would just draw more attention to his "involvement", surely? I'm sad we don't get a pic of his olive cheeks though.

Another remembered incident

the part in Helen's book where she talks about walking with Boris, and IS, in London.
IS gets stuck in the mud, Helen is doubled over laughing thinking to herself, I don't want to lose this man

IS says It isn't funny

big red flag, people who can't laugh at themselves

Moving house is totally overwhelming even in really happy circumstances but I can't help but wonder if her instincts were trying to tell her something. It's not the first time she mentioned words to the effect of wanting to run away or take a backwards step when IS has been involved. There's that time at his house that you quoted up above, that time after they'd been out for a meal and I think also when he took her to Broadstairs. And those are just the ones we know about.

It's all just so very sad.

Whilst it could be edited down to about 5 minutes, there were some useful points in the Late Night Woman's Hour on instinct (not a great fan of Lauren Laverne-my daughter loathes her!) . 4 women-"guests businesswoman Hilary Devey, neuroscientist Sophie Scott, anthropologist Kit Davies and former detective Mo Dowdy explore the benefits and frustrations of trusting your instincts.". They all found it easier to trust their instincts at work, and at least two of them had made huge mistakes in their personal lives ignoring their instincts-or perhaps hope over experience. I had huge misgivings before and on the day we moved into a small Midlands village-all correct.

For most, they retrieve the situation, get divorced, lose some money, but they live to fight another day. The fatal element was IS.

There must be a ton of stories out there related to his lying. It is an overwhelming part of who he is.

There must be a ton of stories out there related to his lying. It is an overwhelming part of who he is.

Sure his sons were "encouraged" to keep quiet about any affairs after Diane. I have commented previously about their (to me) passivity after Helen's disappearance-obviously IS must have been a factor in terms of his long term control and what he was saying at the time, but I still find it odd (thinking about my offspring who are highly sceptical creatures-no idea why!!)

The more we hear, the harder it becomes to understand how he could have "charmed" anyone. The bad temper, the meanness over contributing small amounts of money, refusing to pay bills until the last possible moment. He sounds horrible. And we've all seen what a poor actor he is. It's mystifying.

If he killed Diane I bet it was over jealousy as much as money. She was clearly a very popular person, and he probably grew to hate her because of it.

I've been thinking about this too. Because Helen was such a popular author with a strong following, and was filmed and interviewed fairly frequently there is much for the news outlets to refer to about her life, character and personality.

IS is a puzzle so far. Few friends, not employed so no work colleagues, noone who seems to really know him - odd isn't it.
In time I hope we hear much more about his past but I expect journalists are digging around as I write.

I do wonder if IS was initially motivated by sex rather than money. It's kind of hard to imagine that he easily got much...

I do think one of the big tragedies here was Helen attributing normal, considerate behaviour (or in IS' case, an impression of it) as somehow special. I think people who are vulnerable do this a lot - I'm a stay at home parent with small kids and I see it a lot with peers whose kids' dad walk out and then the next man who comes along and is vaguely pleasant/competent with the kids becomes the Dream Man regardless of anything else. Helen seemed so scared and overwhelmed by her own grief that the fact that IS basically put up with it turned him into a hero in her eyes. The Broadstairs chapter talks about her being blindsided by the sight of John's soap in "his" bathroom and how amazing "Mac" is because he sat with her while she cried and then got her a glass of wine and went to the chippy. Which is totally unremarkable behaviour, really, but somehow he let her believe that he was the only man who would do such a thing for her.

I've been thinking about this too. Because Helen was such a popular author with a strong following, and was filmed and interviewed fairly frequently there is much for the news outlets to refer to about her life, character and personality.

IS is a puzzle so far. Few friends, not employed so no work colleagues, noone who seems to really know him - odd isn't it.
In time I hope we hear much more about his past but I expect journalists are digging around as I write.

I suppose if you were one of the ladies he went round with after Diane's death (particularly if you live in the village, may be married etc) you might be keen to hide from them/

Thanks for the link to the radio programme Alyce, it was VERY interesting.
I think on top of those payouts, the mortgage will have been paid off too.
If Diane really did have epilepsy, it should be found on her personal records at the school where she was employed as secretary.
I picked up from Bill that very few realised IS was the partner of the missing Helen. My words now but IS had left the club and due to the fact that he had moved house and was a billy no mates, telling those that did know him not to talk about it or discuss it on FB, he thought he could keep it from coming out publicly that he was the partner of Helen! He didn't want anybody putting his name and Helens together! What a manipulative, conniving snake.
He said in court that he bought the MG before the children came along but we all know why he said that instead of the actual three weeks after his wife had passed away. I can't believe there were two MGs.
The lady at the hospital who he had referred to as his wife, just shows he's been picking the vulnerable ones and she has had one lucky escape. [emoji33]where is this lady??
Along with the one he took out to lunch then ushered her back to her car (presume he found out over lunch she wasn't the ideal candidate) and she never heard from him again.
I'm looking forward to hearing more from his past. I'm sure there'll be more women but whether they'll be too embarrassed to come forward will be another thing.

If Diane really did have epilepsy, it should be found on her personal records at the school where she was employed as secretary.
I picked up from Bill that very few realised IS was the partner of the missing Helen. My words now but IS had left the club and due to the fact that he had moved house and was a billy no mates, telling those that did know him not to talk about it or discuss it on FB, he thought he could keep it from coming out publicly that he was the partner of Helen! He didn't want anybody putting his name and Helens together! What a manipulative, conniving snake.
He said in court that he bought the MG before the children came along but we all know why he said that instead of the actual three weeks after his wife had passed away. I can't believe there was two MGs.
The lady at the hospital who he had referred to as his wife, just shows he's been picking the vulnerable ones and she has had one lucky escape. [emoji33]where is this lady??
Along with the one he took out to lunch then ushered her back to her car (presume he found out over lunch she wasn't the ideal candidate) and she never heard from him again.
I'm looking forward to hearing more from his past. I'm sure there'll be more women but whether they'll be too embarrassed to come forward will be another thing.

There were 2 MGs. He bought one I think with the broken door payout. He sold it before or around the time Jamie was born. In my mind, pressured to by Diane as it's in no way a family (baby) friendly mode of transport. All MOO but I think he resented Diane for that hence rushing out to buy another as soon as she was out of the way.

There were 2 MGs. He bought one I think with the broken door payout. He sold it before or around the time Jamie was born. In my mind, pressured to by Diane as it's in no way a family (baby) friendly mode of transport. All MOO but I think he resented Diane for that hence rushing out to buy another as soon as she was out of the way.

Ah not read that before but he also said he used the compensation payout to buy their first home.
Unless I see a picture of two different MGs I'm not believing him [emoji3]

He said in court that he bought the MG before the children came along but we all know why he said that instead of the actual three weeks after his wife had passed away. I can't believe there was two MGs.

BBM

With the mortgage paid off, his own income would go a long way. Plus he would receive a big bag of money when he sold the house.

It is all a matter of math, quite easy to calculate if someone will live or die IMHO.

:thinking:

He said in court that he bought the MG before the children came along but we all know why he said that instead of the actual three weeks after his wife had passed away. I can't believe there were two MGs.
He probably ate all her lunch (progressed from a single chip) and she told him where to get off.

What was he doing playing bowls competitively when he was signed off on the sick with muscle weakness? Is it a sport that doesn't require muscle strength?

Joined the bowls club in 1999. Left the club after Diane's death in 2010.

I am sure it required quite a lot of strength which should be available to him for at least 2 hourly periods if he takes his medication. The act of bending down requiring strength in the legs to stand again and the constant use of at least one of his arms would have used a fair amount of energy methinks, especially if he was playing bowls all evening.

I think he milked his condition for all it was worth, particularly after Helen's murder.

BBM

With the mortgage paid off, his own income would go a long way. Plus he would receive a big bag of money when he sold the house.

It is all a matter of math, quite easy to calculate if someone will live or die IMHO.

:thinking:

Isn't it, and frightening when it's put like that.

Good children? More likely terrified of their father and his temper! I've heard somewhere else in an article, probably the same source that IS would suddenly lose his temper. Expect he used it with everyone even Helen to get his own way and I suspect she was having qualms. But he said in an interview? (Sorry bunged up with cough and sore throat) 'no-one can abuse Helen'. Odd remark in retrospect. Love all the pet pics! I just have a lovely ginger cat now but can't post him from my I-pad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do wonder if IS was initially motivated by sex rather than money. It's kind of hard to imagine that he easily got much...

I do think one of the big tragedies here was Helen attributing normal, considerate behaviour (or in IS' case, an impression of it) as somehow special. I think people who are vulnerable do this a lot - I'm a stay at home parent with small kids and I see it a lot with peers whose kids' dad walk out and then the next man who comes along and is vaguely pleasant/competent with the kids becomes the Dream Man regardless of anything else. Helen seemed so scared and overwhelmed by her own grief that the fact that IS basically put up with it turned him into a hero in her eyes. The Broadstairs chapter talks about her being blindsided by the sight of John's soap in "his" bathroom and how amazing "Mac" is because he sat with her while she cried and then got her a glass of wine and went to the chippy. Which is totally unremarkable behaviour, really, but somehow he let her believe that he was the only man who would do such a thing for her.

He'll have been hungry.

I mean, who on earth fancies a chippy tea when they've just been struck down with grief and sobbed their heart out? I've no doubt that it will have been his suggestion. I'm adding belly-led to the list of his negative traits.

But you're right, she showed herself at her most vulnerable, big fat wet tears and all ... I can see how she might have felt humbled and a maybe even little bit thankful that he stuck around when she was in that state of mind.

On one of the discussion linked yesterday it was said that Judge Bright's summing up extended to four pages.

To me the live tweets didn't appear to be four pages, though I may be mistaken ? I just wondered if anywhere the full summing up is available?

Jeremy Vine (Radio 2) said he had a copy of J. Bright's summing up and it was available 'on line' - but I thought Alice had posted it all on WS previously (or was that pasting all Journo's quotes onto one cohesive statement?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaLegend71