GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so. Though I think it must be quite hard to suffocate someone (assuming that's what he did) without them waking up.

I have been wondering why he disposed of the duvet at the dump if he simply used it to suffocate her. Did anyone else have any thoughts about that?

Did the prosecution suggest he used it to drag her to the cesspit or was that just us here?

Found it:

Stewart is said to have smothered Helen, using a duvet to drag her body out to the garage and dumping the body of the woman he had promised to marry in the human excrement.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2916083/helen-bailey-murdered-by-fiance-plot/

Suffocation causes a person to do certain things which can be found online. I don't want to think of them tbh so please do your own research!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you're probably right. That did occur to me but I wasn't sure. It's unbearably awful. I keep thinking of the mismatch - someone as bright and lively and intelligent and successful as she was ending up being murdered in such a way by a like IS. She was much, much too good for him and he should have counted himself so lucky. It's inexplicable, really.

I've just looked through others' FB pages, sorry I can't post a link, if you're quick via Diane Stewart (Lem) can be found the IS FB page 'I never pictured you as a villain Ian' says one poster...

I hope so. Though I think it must be quite hard to suffocate someone (assuming that's what he did) without them waking up.

I have been wondering why he disposed of the duvet at the dump if he simply used it to suffocate her. Did anyone else have any thoughts about that?

I might have got dirty if he used it to drag the body.

I think you're absolutely right. When you're absolutely blindsided by grief, and perhaps not getting the support you'd want from friends and family, it makes you very susceptible to small acts of kindness. So he'd have known that and taken advantage of it. I disagree, though, with some of the newspaper commentators who have said she was naive or too trusting, because you can't go through life constantly being suspicious of people who are nice to you. Stewart didn't have a criminal record and there was no evidence that he was ever violent to anyone. Maybe she should have been wary of gold-diggers, but I can't see how she could have been prepared for the possibility that a man would seek out a relationship with her purely so he could murder her for her money. After all, how often does that happen?

There are loads of things that still puzzle me about it all. One is the lie Stewart told about the "note" - it would have become obvious to the police after a while that Helen wasn't coming back, therefore increasing the likelihood that Stewart had made up the story about the note. Also, if your partner had left a note stating their intention to go away for a few days, wouldn't you hold onto it rather than throw it out? So it was a stupid lie to tell, which lends support to the suggestion that he hadn't originally intended to kill her that day, but something happened to make him panic.

All the early reports of her disappearance mentioned the note - the police never said, "We haven't actually seen a note". Last May the chief inspector then in charge of the case did an interview with the Guardian in which she refused to say whether the note was handwritten or typed. It was only at the trial that it became clear that there had never been a note. It made me wonder how soon the police cottoned onto the realisation that he was the killer.

There never was a note, yet I seem to recall a mention of Jamie taking a photo of it. Perhaps I'm imagining that, or it was mentioned but never happened.

There never was a note, yet I seem to recall a mention of Jamie taking a photo of it. Perhaps I'm imagining that, or it was mentioned but never happened.

That was the note written to the boys to say he had gone to Broadstairs.

That was a different note, written by Stewart but initially mistaken for Helen's handwriting. We have speculated that it was an attempt to forge the note he pretended she had left.

Another 5 minutes of famer, if you ask me. Wants his name cleared? It literally couldn't be any clearer.

In fairness to him I would be a bit put out if an acquantance of mine used my name and description (there or abouts) to describe her evil kidnapper / murderer. Some people believe mad things in the face of overwhelming evidence: holocaust deniers, there was no moon landing, Bush was behind 9/11, the royal family are shape shifting lizards etc.... As mad as it may seem, some people may believe IS and his ramblings

With regard to life insurance in relation to Diane, does anyone know if she would have been able to acquire cover due to epilepsy? I know that there are some conditions that wouldn't be but not sure about epilepsy. If it was a serious problem at some point, I don't think she would get life cover very easily. I know that the employment life cover would not have restrictions though. I am suggesting here that IS has exaggerated the epilepsy, or that it didn't exist at all.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It sounded to me, due to her very high blood pressure, that she had eclampsia which itself can cause fits but it usually clears up soon after baby is born (either naturally or very often by Caesarean Section due to the risk to both baby and mother). However, there is a very small risk that it can provoke epilepsy in the future. Her parents and her GP will know whether she definitely had epilepsy before this. I have no idea how this would affect life insurance. I am about to Google the likelihood. If she had a 3 year ban she would have been diagnosed but unfortunately we have no idea whether this is a figment of his imagination. Something her parents may be able to confirm or otherwise.

I wish someone would explain what was meant by the c£40k that wasn't "claimed" by Stewart from Diane's estate.
I don't understand how an asset would need to be "claimed".

I wish someone would explain what was meant by the c£40k that wasn't "claimed" by Stewart from Diane's estate.
I don't understand how an asset would need to be "claimed".

I am guessing but it might mean it was an endowment policy with life cover. These, I think, can be turned into an endowment only policy by the person who took out the insurance but I won't swear to it. If he didn't need the money it could be a good way to save. I am sure we must have someone on here who could confirm/deny this.

I've just gone back and read from the beginning of the thread (originally started half-way through) and this really leapt out at me from the Sun report:

A throwaway remark from a neighbour’s daughter, visiting home from Australia, led officers to contact Mr Shannon. Cops had been confused when she asked if they had looked in “the well”. Mr Shannon said: “The police phoned me and I explained over the phone where it was, just inside the door of the garage.

They thought the cesspit had been pumped out — because that’s what Ian told them.

“If they’d asked any of us, we could have told them about it. The case could have been sorted three months earlier.”...

Does anyone else think that the onus was on Shannon to phone the police and say, "Look, do you know about the second cesspit?" How could the police be expected to ask the previous owner about something they didn't know existed? Ditto the neighbour, who could have phoned the police at any time and told them about it.

I've just gone back and read from the beginning of the thread (originally started half-way through) and this really leapt out at me from the Sun report:

A throwaway remark from a neighbour’s daughter, visiting home from Australia, led officers to contact Mr Shannon. Cops had been confused when she asked if they had looked in “the well”. Mr Shannon said: “The police phoned me and I explained over the phone where it was, just inside the door of the garage.

They thought the cesspit had been pumped out — because that’s what Ian told them.

“If they’d asked any of us, we could have told them about it. The case could have been sorted three months earlier.”...

Does anyone else think that the onus was on Shannon to phone the police and say, "Look, do you know about the second cesspit?" How could the police be expected to ask the previous owner about something they didn't know existed? Ditto the neighbour, who could have phoned the police at any time and told them about it.

I put it down to the very British reserve thing. I agree the former owner could have piped up sooner but I suppose none of them suspected for a moment that HB was dead. If the police earlier on had said we think she's dead and we're looking for a body, they might have said something then.

It sounded to me, due to her very high blood pressure, that she had eclampsia which itself can cause fits but it usually clears up soon after baby is born (either naturally or very often by Caesarean Section due to the risk to both baby and mother). However, there is a very small risk that it can provoke epilepsy in the future. Her parents and her GP will know whether she definitely had epilepsy before this. I have no idea how this would affect life insurance. I am about to Google the likelihood. If she had a 3 year ban she would have been diagnosed but unfortunately we have no idea whether this is a figment of his imagination. Something her parents may be able to confirm or otherwise.

I thought the same about the high blood pressure in pregnancy too, InterestedBystander- it's quite common really.

I think by then the police had already moved the car, found the second cesspit and had made arrangements to have it emptied. I doubt they would have explained that to the neighbours, as police tend to disclose information on a 'need to know' basis.

They would of course have still been interested in anything the neighbours and previous owner had to tell them, and may have thought at first that by "the well" they were talking about a third location.

I think by then the police had already moved the car, found the second cesspit and had made arrangements to have it emptied. I doubt they would have explained that to the neighbours, as police tend to disclose information on a 'need to know' basis.

They would of course have still been interested in anything the neighbours and previous owner had to tell them, and may have thought at first that by "the well" they were talking about a third location.

By the same token the police are not going to admit they knew nothing about it until a nosey neighbour weighed in. I remember how things panned out and I believe the neighbour in this instance. They knew nothing about that well.

I've just looked through others' FB pages, sorry I can't post a link, if you're quick via Diane Stewart (Lem) can be found the IS FB page 'I never pictured you as a villain Ian' says one poster...

I had a look SweetCinnamon - can't find that quote. Villain is an understatement!!
I did see the IS's proud purchase of his MG purchased after dear Diane died. He is so disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cweiss72