GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at court today. We stopped at 1 for lunch back at 2. Watched the interviews of when he was first arrested. All no comment he had a written statement. Even after they found her body and re arrested him in the interviews so far all no comment. The jury keeps looking over at him. He sits looking glum no expressions.

I don't think anyone is suggesting anyone else was in the house on the day of the murder - as you say, the police have established no one else was. It is more a discussion of whether IS, in his increasingly emotional state in the early stages of the police investigation, confided anything in his nearest and dearest. My feeling is he could well have shared some, inaccurate, self-serving version of events, because he seems to me such a weak character he would struggle to keep his cool, remain composed and not breathe a word of anything to those closest to him. I am not suggesting any kind of collusion and I don't think anyone else is. This is speculation only - and as you say it is a moot point as only IS is in the dock and rightly so.

Thank you. I had misread the vibes. I don't think anyone else is involved with Helen's demise but I can see your point about IS being in an emotional state and maybe needing to confide. However, I cannot bring myself to believe he would have told anyone. That would have made them an accessory but as I said earlier it is a moot point.

I'm at court today. We stopped at 1 for lunch back at 2. Watched the interviews of when he was first arrested. All no comment he had a written statement. Even after they found her body and re arrested him in the interviews so far all no comment. The jury keeps looking over at him. He sits looking glum no expressions.

Hi, many thanks for your impressions. I look forward to hearing more as I am sure we all do. You say the jury keeps looking over at IS. Do you get any feelings one way or another (by their expressions) what might be going through their minds?

I'm in court as well. To be honest the jury's impression is probably the same as anybody who sees these interviews and precisely what Stewart is warned of: "it may harm your defence if you do not say something which you later rely on in court" that is, people will draw their own conclusions as to why he said nothing in his interviews. It's clear that he's guilty as sin and to be honest I've been looking at him wondering how he can have the gall to keep up this charade when his guilt is clear to everybody. Why go through all this and out everybody else through it. Just admit and get it over with

Ah, thanks. So it was quite extended amnesia about these shady types (although I picture them as being more like the Chuckle Brothers).

Exactly - he might as well have called them the Chuckle Brothers, Ant and Dec or Morecambe and Wise, it would have been just as credible!

If the solicitor had just been presented with the tale of Nick and Joe I can understand why he/she might have advised IS to go no comment! It would be interesting to know if N&J were mentioned at that point or if they were a later, um, "recollection".

They were not introduced until December 12, 2016 when a written statement was presented to the authorities on ISs behalf. This was after he had tried out the story on his younger son earlier that month.
This was also just prior to his final pre trial appointment December 16, 2016

Trial resumes

The case has now been called back on.

Video link for US witness

The next witness will be via video link to Florida - where Mr Christopher Patrick will be giving evidence. Jurors are now being called in.

this will be business associate from JSs company Patrick Sinfield

Witness tells how Helen Bailey married his business partner

Mr Patrick tells jurors: “February 1, 1980 I started a business with a man called John Sinfield. The company was called PSL and it was a character licensing agency. “In 1984/85 Helen Bailey joined that company and I interviewed her to be my secretary. “I found her to be a bright intelligent woman and quickly found that she could do a lot more than simply be my secretary. “After three years she became the licensing manager in the head of the marketing division. “After a while John Sinfield began a relationship with Helen and as time passed they became man and wife. “We were a small close company, more like a family. We also employed a financial controller by the name of David Jenson. “He was good at his job, but neither Helen or I liked him socially. He was a very heavy smoker, and neither Helen or I cared for him personally.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/helen-bailey-murder-trial-more-12512651

Helen Bailey took death of husband 'extremely badly'

Mr Patrick adds: “There came a time when John Sinfield sadly died. “I was the second person to be contacted by Helen in the aftermath of John’s death. “My wife and I were in Florida at the time, after Helen had called her brother John she called us. “Helen took John’s death extremely badly. After that I spoke, emailed and had contact a lot with her. “We used to communicate quite often, with phone calls also.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/helen-bailey-murder-trial-more-12512651

Witness gave advice on where missing author may have gone

In a statement on May 23, 2016, Mr Patrick said he understood Helen was missing. Mr Patrick helped police with where Helen might have gone, gave them detailed information about Helen and gave them the clear impression that Helen wouldn’t harm herself. Mr Patrick tells the court: “She lived on social media, she was a good communicator. I said I didn’t think she would be able to disappear for long. “I also knew about Boris the dog. Rufus was Boris’ predecessor who died a natural death, Boris was not so fortunate. “Helen and Boris were absolutely inseparable.”

Apologies if this has been written about or posted on here previously.

Extract from Helen's blog 'Planet Grief' - dated 23rd February 2016:

Things have been difficult here since just after Christmas, and it continues to be an anxious and challenging time. I’m sorry for my vagueness. I’m not keeping anything secret, it’s just that I can’t yet write about what is happening because I don’t know the outcome, and I can’t bring myself to put fingers to keyboard. In my mind, it’s all too frightening at the moment.

This is the link: http://planetgrief.com/2016/02/23/stop-gap/

Helen might well have been referring to IS's illness and her fears over that. I prefer to think that it wasn't that she had any forebodings about his true nature.

Dispute over husband's estate

Mr Patrick said he knew Helen had a house in Broadstairs, and another in Newcastle. On January 18 this year, Mr Patrick was asked if he was aware of any issues in relation to John Sinfield’s business activities, to which he says he wasn’t. He tells jurors: “I was aware there was a dispute ongoing between John Sinfield’s estate, thereby Helen, with David Jenson, but not as to the actual detail of that dispute. Mr Patrick is asked by prosecutor Stuart Trimmer: “Did Helen or anyone else mention anyone called Joe or Nick, who might have been business associates of John Sinfield? “No”, Mr Patrick answers.

Witness transferred share in business to husband

Mr Patrick is now being cross examined by the defence. He said he knew John Sinfield for five years before the PSL business was started. “When I retired, which was entirely my decision, John stayed on at the business. I transferred my 50 per cent share in the company to John Sinfield” Mr Patrick tells the court. He said he was also aware of John Sinfield’s involvement with a company called MusicScope.

This guy, I presume, not content with snooping on her blog comments was also rummaging through her dead husband's diaries. Cant be a coincidence

eta- i mean snooping the diaries before july 15 arrest when he would have no longer had any access to JS's boxes. Or he has a great recall in December 2016 of two names. Unless..... no I'm not going there ;)

Another interesting contradiction in what IS says and what others say

Following the walk on 22 May last year, Stewart messaged Nolan-Latchford to tell her he was going on holiday.

Her statement said: “Out of the blue, on Friday 10 June, the phone rang and he announced that he was going on holiday to Spain. He stated he was going on holiday because he had booked it with Helen and couldn’t get his money back.

“He had decided to go on his own; he also said his mental health adviser had said he needed the break.”

But on Wednesday, psychiatric nurse Sarah Tooley told the court she had not given the defendant any views on the holiday, but simply “went through the plans” with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...+theguardian/hJng+(World+news+|+The+Guardian)

Quizzed on names in diaries

Simon Russell Flint, defending Stewart, said that in Mr Sinfield’s diaries, there’s references to people called Joe and Nick. He asks Mr Patrick if he had any idea about who this might be referring to. “Absolutely none at all”, Mr Patrick answers.

WHAT?!?! Wasn't IS in police custody for several months before mentioning Nick and Joe? Wonder who actually wrote those references to N and J in the diary(ies) - and are they in John Sinfield's handwriting? I sure didn't see THAT one coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member