GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who here thinks that the jury's deliberations will be shorter than the 4 and half hours the defence took to sum up their case?

I wonder what the record time is for summing up in a UK court? Are we close to the record?

Who here thinks that the jury's deliberations will be shorter than the 4 and half hours the defence took to sum up their case?

I wonder what the record time is for summing up in a UK court? Are we close to the record?

Nowhere near! This one was 119 days but the record may have been broken since, it was just the first link Google gave me.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/may/25/simonbowers

Four and a half hours is still pretty gruelling. It's like watching a really dull film TWICE. Urgh- who'd be a juror?!

With respect Florrie, all of the points I have attempted to correct have been previously raised and discussed on this site, simply because you have not noted the comments does not mean that they were not made, and that any of my comments were "Bonkers".

You don't need to inform me that this is a horrific case, I was a friend of Helen's and spoke to the police within days of her being missing. I do not wish to prevent anybody's rights but I do want the truth and justice to be served.

And I think we are all with you on that one. I want justice to be served too as does everyone else here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

God forbid I ever become a widow and find myself such a widows group is all I will say... [emoji15]

On another note, I hope IS is stewing over the weekend.

Sadly, I think this is wishful thinking and he won't have the heart for guilt. But still... there remains hope.

God forbid I ever become a widow and find myself such a widows group is all I will say... [emoji15]

On another note, I hope IS is stewing over the weekend.

Sadly, I think this is wishful thinking and he won't have the heart for guilt. But still... there remains hope.

How they even managed to work that prison assault into his defence too. It's quite obvious he was just boring the pants off everyone.

I think if he really is a psychopath then the likelihood is that he is revelling in the chaos. He will find other means once convicted (if he is indeed convicted as we hope he will be).

His tale of NiJo is just beyond all belief and even his own barrister hasn't attempted to say "my client is innocent", just poked holes in a fairly tight prosecution case but hopefully nowhere near enough to sink the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone think there should be charges for killing Boris too?

Does anyone think there should be charges for killing Boris too?

That would have to be an RSPCA prosecution. I reckon that as the other charges are so serious, and since obviously he will get a long minimum term life sentence, it would be considered not in the public interest to prosecute a cruelty to animals case too. (All those public and charity funds spent when he's already going to die in jail).

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty/prosecution/howwedecide

That's nothing compared with the Robert Brown case. The jury cleared him of murder despite .....

"Jurors heard he then bundled the children into his car, wrapped his wife's body in plastic sheeting and dumped it in the boot before driving to woodland where he had already dug a hole and put down a makeshift coffin."

He had admitted to manslaughter, but fortunately the Judge was still able to jail him for life with a minimum 26 years before parole.

Sentencing, Judge Mr Justice Cooke told him: "You intended to kill, you intended to conceal the body and to hide the evidence of the killing."

That would have to be an RSPCA prosecution. I reckon that as the other charges are so serious, and since obviously he will get a long minimum term life sentence, it would be considered not in the public interest to prosecute a cruelty to animals case too. (All those public and charity funds spent when he's already going to die in jail).

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty/prosecution/howwedecide

I suppose we don't need any more proof than murder, that he is a danger to society, but I think it just adds something important about his personality.

I find it quite astonishing you were blocked in that way Batface. I believe there are many uncomfortable truths regarding the way in which Helen met her killer and these uncomfortable truths must be addressed. I hope after Ian Stewart is thrown in prison where he belongs, people will seek to learn a few lessons from her tragedy. The internet and specifically online forums are the perfect environment for a predator to thrive. He was hiding in plain sight and that should worry all of us!

BBM

That is what we hope for, and hopefully lessons will be learned.

However, I am no optimist. I spend a lot of time on the case of an American pilgrim who disappeared on her way to Santiago de Compostela in Spain.
The general mantra on the Pilgrim forums is that the Camino is safe, safe, safe! People stick to it like a life line. I feel safe, therefore I am safe. Even when the missing pilgrim was finally found - brutally murdered - the rule of thumb appeared to be that This Was An Exception.

Reality was different. The perpetrator had been laying traps for his victims, he had at least attacked two other female pilgrims in the previous year, the police had let him go and to this day LE does not exclude that he may have made other victims. Pilgrims were not informed that this specific part of the Camino was unsafe until it was too late. Knowing the murdered pilgrim, she would not have walked alone as she did that fatal day if she had been aware of the danger.

Enough cause for ANGER but that did not happen. Quite the contrary.

It has been and still is extremely difficult to inform people, pilgrims about this. Walking on egg shells is nothing to it. Any suggestion that women should take better care of their safety is met with sometimes enormous backlash like Who Are You To Take Away the God Given Rights of Women to Travel Alone?? Or Women should be Encouraged to Travel Alone, you should not Stop Them and Keep them Chained to the Kitchen Sink!

The loudest voices seem to want to go on as if nothing ever happened and everything is fine. Preserving their happy bubble is their main concern. If lessons are being learned, those wheels are moving slowly.

IMHO the difference between theory and practice has something to do with this. So theoretically you know that predators exist, and may be present on your journey. But in practice, the road looks nice, the village is beautiful, or the person you are chatting with of a forum is such fun and understands your concerns so well.

I've been there too, on a different kind of forum. I was warned about online predators by an online predator! What better hiding place could there be? I was so happy and thankful to meet such nice people.

i imagine that on Planet Grief, the need for companionship is 1000x higher and the energy to cope with deceit is less than zero. Posing as a widower when you are not is one thing, it can be checked, it must be checked, but IS was indeed a widower. And no impostor in that respect.

I suppose we don't need any more proof than murder, that he is a danger to society, but I think it just adds something important about his personality.

I agree and perhaps if he is cleared the RSPCA will prosecute even if it's only to ban him from ever keeping an animal in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva