UK UK - Jack O'Sullivan, 22, left friends after night out, last seen Brunel Lock Road/Brunel Way, Bristol at 3.15am, 2 Mar 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A lot of clothing and personal items that haven't been found. If he'd entered the water as some suspect surely something would have washed up? It makes me more suspicious of foul play. Moo
Especially since they are aware that his phone was tracked to a certain address early that morning! They said they have "visited" that address, but that was it, no searches or formal interviews etc. Why have they never said what happened when they went to that address? How did they explain the fact that his phone was supposedly there? Did the police just assume the data was incorrect?? Or did they not speak to anyone when they went there? Maybe no one answered, but would they just leave and not follow up? Maybe there's been more reported on what happened at that address, but I haven't read anything about it other than that they visited. That makes no sense. They can't just leave it at that!

Looking at that map and of his movements, he seems to have been on a circuitous route - lost? bit drink? both? Was he trying to find a taxi on street? Gone in wrong direction?

Do we know if Jack is familiar with Bristol? Was he a student at one of the unis there? If so, he'd be well versed in the city I'd have thought. He's from North Somerset, and so Bristol is the closest big city and I know many young people from the South West go into Bristol on the weekends for nights out etc. So I am assuming he was at least moderately familiar with the city. MOO.

I have been on to Bristol for a night out only once, and I was walking around for about an hour trying to find my hotel. It is a confusing city if you're not used to it! Honestly it's the first thing I thought of when I was reading this case; I bet he's lost because Bristol can be a maze.

Unfortunately, I do believe he's in water. There's plenty of it in that area with many steep drop offs in the harbour or the river. Hope I'm wrong

After a full run-through of his route, found here video...I have changed my mind somewhat.

- I think the phone location signal has potential to mislead, because doesn't it rely on having battery? You'd be lucky to get charge after a full night out into the hours of 6am, even if you went out on full charge. I believe the phone probably run out of battery, especially as he was known to be using it as well. So would this stop the location? Also the Air-Tag would cut out if the phone ran out of battery because the bluetooth stops too. Whatssap messages are unopened too, again, could indicate Batt gone.

- From the full route re-run on Facebook - he is definitely lost and confused. The area he goes to by "integrated facilities Bristol Workplace" (here) is a dead end, on the banks of the River Avon and indeed he turns back. He's lost.

- He then goes under the bridge complex at Brunel Lock Development. I saw a post earlier saying he'd be unlucky to fall to foul play in this area, I have to respectfully disagree, and this is an area I would 100% avoid. Looks like he continued from this point, but I can't rule out foul play at some point.

- No wonder the route was hard to follow on maps, he changes direction many times. Going back on himself multiple times.

- Makes it across the Plimsoll Swingbridge (going North) and down the slip road and opens whatssap messages at 3:38 and 3:39am. He can see Granby Hill at this point, looking right. This view. That is Granby Hill, and I believe he has his sights set on that. Once again turns back on himself to go back up the bridge. Looks precarious here in traffic. And here was his last sighting ( here, going back up ).

So doing that run through, I am less sure about being in water now. Because I believe he tries to get over to the Granby Hill location, this explains going back up the bridge, because it looks a nightmare to get to from the above linked location. He must have made it because of the phone ping. And he's now not near to water. There's a lot of barriers everywhere too....he'd have to really climb over them to end up in Water (or thrown over I suppose).

There's just no more evidence he went back near water from Granby. Unless his phone went to Granby and he did not. But I do believe it was his aim to get there.

After a full run-through of his route, found here video...I have changed my mind somewhat.

- I think the phone location signal has potential to mislead, because doesn't it rely on having battery? You'd be lucky to get charge after a full night out into the hours of 6am, even if you went out on full charge. I believe the phone probably run out of battery, especially as he was known to be using it as well. So would this stop the location? Also the Air-Tag would cut out if the phone ran out of battery because the bluetooth stops too. Whatssap messages are unopened too, again, could indicate Batt gone.

- From the full route re-run on Facebook - he is definitely lost and confused. The area he goes to by "integrated facilities Bristol Workplace" (here) is a dead end, on the banks of the River Avon and indeed he turns back. He's lost.

- He then goes under the bridge complex at Brunel Lock Development. I saw a post earlier saying he'd be unlucky to fall to foul play in this area, I have to respectfully disagree, and this is an area I would 100% avoid. Looks like he continued from this point, but I can't rule out foul play at some point.

- No wonder the route was hard to follow on maps, he changes direction many times. Going back on himself multiple times.

- Makes it across the Plimsoll Swingbridge (going North) and down the slip road and opens whatssap messages at 3:38 and 3:39am. He can see Granby Hill at this point, looking right. This view. That is Granby Hill, and I believe he has his sights set on that. Once again turns back on himself to go back up the bridge. Looks precarious here in traffic. And here was his last sighting ( here, going back up ).

So doing that run through, I am less sure about being in water now. Because I believe he tries to get over to the Granby Hill location, this explains going back up the bridge, because it looks a nightmare to get to from the above linked location. He must have made it because of the phone ping. And he's now not near to water. There's a lot of barriers everywhere too....he'd have to really climb over them to end up in Water (or thrown over I suppose).

There's just no more evidence he went back near water from Granby. Unless his phone went to Granby and he did not. But I do believe it was his aim to get there.
In my opinion judging by his long stride on that photo where he is crossing the road he seems out of it... Do we know whether it was just alcohol consumed at this party has anyone spoken up whether maybe some drugs were involved even cannabis can cause confusion and disorientation put that on top of alcohol in Bristol which is my local city and I still get lost ....it's a recipe for disaster... There are a lot of dodgy people out on the streets in Bristol too... You even get hassled by them in Daylight nevermind at night under bridges and what not

In my opinion judging by his long stride on that photo where he is crossing the road he seems out of it... Do we know whether it was just alcohol consumed at this party has anyone spoken up whether maybe some drugs were involved even cannabis can cause confusion and disorientation put that on top of alcohol in Bristol which is my local city and I still get lost ....it's a recipe for disaster... There are a lot of dodgy people out on the streets in Bristol too... You even get hassled by them in Daylight nevermind at night under bridges and what not
I don't think he would of managed walk all that way drunk, or off his head on something lmo

Imo the call were he says “hello” then silence for almost a minute is when either someone robs him and he falls into the water, or he falls on his own and drops the phone and it’s locked up by someone unrelated, who is then obviously reluctant to hand it back.

There is also spiking to consider too. JMO

I don't think we know. We do need people from the party to give us more information, it's weirdly quiet from them.

I'm not too far removed from Jack's age and going to uni house parties etc - I'd be surprised if everyone was just doing booze. I'll never forget a story from a guy I knew at uni, who took some kind of 'something' and it made him think the house was on fire (it wasn't) and he ended up walking the outskirts of Brighton. All the way around the city, getting home finally at about 9am. Scary stuff. I'm not accusing Jack of that, but I'm saying you're right, people often do go on drunken adventures after a night out.

I personally think he knew where he wanted to go, and was just trying to get there. The road system around that part is a maze, and you can't just hope over the rails and cross the roads. It's why he's going back and forth multiple times, I think. I reckon he had a goal and was trying to get there. Before he came into danger.

Video of Jack's mom at link.
Oct 7, '24
''Searches by police and the family have failed to yield significant answers - and his disappearance remains a mystery.
Catherine has been filmed retracing the steps her son took on CCTV with the videos posted on the 'Find Jack' campaign Facebook page.''
1728319831604.png
1728319932993.png
Jack, 23, was last seen at 3.15am on Saturday, March 2 in the area of Brunel Lock Road/Brunel Way, in Bristol
1728320302481.png
''Jack was unsure about going to the party because he barely knew anyone there, but his mother had encouraged him to go and meet new people as his friends from home had moved away.

He took the bus from his house in Flax Bourton to Bristol city centre to have drinks with three of his university friends at a Wetherspoons, before all four, two boys and two girls, ventured to a house party hosted by a girl on his law conversion course.

The University of Exeter graduate, who had moved back to Bristol for the law course, stuck with his group at the party on Hotwell Road, but at one point tumbled down the stairs and hit his head.''

Attachments

• 1728320258007.png
    1728320258007.png
    848.9 KB · Views: 1
I don't think we know. We do need people from the party to give us more information, it's weirdly quiet from them.

I'm not too far removed from Jack's age and going to uni house parties etc - I'd be surprised if everyone was just doing booze. I'll never forget a story from a guy I knew at uni, who took some kind of 'something' and it made him think the house was on fire (it wasn't) and he ended up walking the outskirts of Brighton. All the way around the city, getting home finally at about 9am. Scary stuff. I'm not accusing Jack of that, but I'm saying you're right, people often do go on drunken adventures after a night out.

I personally think he knew where he wanted to go, and was just trying to get there. The road system around that part is a maze, and you can't just hope over the rails and cross the roads. It's why he's going back and forth multiple times, I think. I reckon he had a goal and was trying to get there. Before he came into danger.
Ya I have kids your age I understand what it's like and some people can see spiking someone's drink as a joke until something like this occurs... Bristol has pretty big problem for Ketamine I believe ...which is a dissociative type of drug ....I'm not saying tht happened but there is a chance he. Could have been spiked or peer pressured into taking something... He may not have expected it to be so strong and that's why he fell over on the way out of the party... The girl rang him too was this prompted by his mother asking her too or just off her own back... If it was just her own idea to ring him was there a reason she was worried was he out of it...

If substances were involved and he's walking along river banks he could have easily gone in.. your vision is blurry and you can't judge distance.,, on the other hand he could have suffered a bad enough head injury for memory loss and has no idea who he is....such people tend to draw attention to themselves and get found... Especially when it's been in the paper..
It's certainly a strange story personally I'd like to know more bout this party... Am sure there is a level of secrecy between the students and the police if drugs were involved but maybe if his mum went down there,.,,am sure she must have

The girl rang him too was this prompted by his mother asking her too or just off her own back... If it was just her own idea to ring him was there a reason she was worried was he out of it...
Jack phoned the girl first. She didn't answer at the time but returned the call 10 mins later. Jack answered and said "hello" before the line was cut off.

Ya I have kids your age I understand what it's like and some people can see spiking someone's drink as a joke until something like this occurs... Bristol has pretty big problem for Ketamine I believe ...which is a dissociative type of drug ....I'm not saying tht happened but there is a chance he. Could have been spiked or peer pressured into taking something... He may not have expected it to be so strong and that's why he fell over on the way out of the party... The girl rang him too was this prompted by his mother asking her too or just off her own back... If it was just her own idea to ring him was there a reason she was worried was he out of it...

If substances were involved and he's walking along river banks he could have easily gone in.. your vision is blurry and you can't judge distance.,, on the other hand he could have suffered a bad enough head injury for memory loss and has no idea who he is....such people tend to draw attention to themselves and get found... Especially when it's been in the paper..
It's certainly a strange story personally I'd like to know more bout this party... Am sure there is a level of secrecy between the students and the police if drugs were involved but maybe if his mum went down there,.,,am sure she must have

Yep.
The fall down the stairs
and his bolting out of the party house without even saying goodbye to the girl
(who was smoking outside)
are really strange.

And as I wrote earlier
the best way is to just call a taxi/Uber and wait at the party place
instead of wandering in the streets intoxicated in the middle of the night and with icy weather conditions.

I'm not even sure where he was heading :oops:
Didn't he call the Uber car earlier?

What a tragedy :(

PS
My friends & I have an agreement to never let anybody leave the party alone.
Either somebody is a designated driver or a family member comes in a car or taxis are called.

JMO

Last edited:
There is also spiking to consider too. JMO
Consider it, yes, but it should not be over-estimated as there are strong elements of urban legend and denial involved with the overwhelming majority of spiking claims in the UK.

There was a short-lived "panic" some years ago with claims by women of being drugged in nightclubs by being injected via needles. Investigations concluded that the claims could not be supported as, according to medical personnel, injection of drugs would have required the victim to stand still long enough for someone to actually inject enough of a drug deep enough to have some effect. However, there was a suggestion that one or more frequenters of nightclubs might be pricking female patrons with a needle or pin, either in connection with a fetish (piquerism) or to deliberately to create an atmosphere of panic.

There have also long been claims of drinks being spiked. There is no doubt that this does happen but it's uncertain how widespread it really is. What has been found is that where young women attend A&E claiming that their drinks have been spiked, it is rare for blood samples to show anything but high levels of alcohol. It's certainly possible that shots of vodka could have been added to their drinks by a third party, but police and medical staff have concluded that in the vast majority of cases the women concerned had either lost track of how much they had drunk during the night or were simply in denial about it.

In terms of anyone spiking Jack's drinks, one would have to ask who would do this to a young man. The obvious answer would be a gay would-be rapist, but frankly I think it highly unlikely that anything happened other than that he simply had too much to drink.

Especially since they are aware that his phone was tracked to a certain address early that morning! They said they have "visited" that address, but that was it

Notice they don't give any information about their visit to the address, really.

They don't say whether they believe he was ever at this address.

They don't say they were able to rule out involvement of someone at that address. (And even if they had said they ruled them out, I would still wonder.)

They don't say if they believe their visit yielded any useful information.

It seems so important, this address and their visit. Yet they don't want to say anything about it yet. Wonder what that could mean.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katelyn26
Back