UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
serial killer Herman Mudgett (a.k.a. Dr. H.H. Holmes)

snip...Mudgett’s great-great-grandfather was made famous by Erik Larson’s book The Devil In The White City. Herman Mudgett created the famous “murder castle” during the World’s Fair in Chicago in 1893 and may have killed more than 200 victims.
http://rockrivertimes.com/2012/03/2...iller-to-speak-sign-books-march-31-at-tinker/

He claims that his great great grandfather was in London during the Ripper murders. He also claims he had the handwriting compared and it was a 97.7 percent match

British author claims serial killer 'Jack the Ripper' was a woman in new book
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/181717...iller-jack-the-ripper-was-a-woman-in-new-book

'Jackie' the Ripper: Was the Infamous Serial Killer a Woman?
http://www.livescience.com/20239-jack-ripper-serial-killer-woman.html

What?? Oh please. ONLY time I've ever heard of a woman doing this was someone doing it to a pregnant woman, and it was to take the baby (creepy). To do it that many times, and to the same type of victim? Makes no sense at all to me.

British author claims serial killer 'Jack the Ripper' was a woman in new book
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/181717...iller-jack-the-ripper-was-a-woman-in-new-book

'Jackie' the Ripper: Was the Infamous Serial Killer a Woman?
http://www.livescience.com/20239-jack-ripper-serial-killer-woman.html
Morris said his theory was unpopular with other "Ripper" experts.
Well, I'd think so! lol. Still, if you want to publish on Jack, better have a new angle.

The best-known "woman did it" theory postulates an unnamed midwife (and thus a person who would be i) not unexpected to have blood on her garments moving about late at night, and ii) not expected to be a serial prostitute killer). Reasons vary - that said midwife was also an abortionist who'd botched a job and was thus eliminating witnesses, etc. etc.

Although none convincingly, I can think of 4 women who have been named a possible Rippers-Lizzie Williams, Olga Tchkersoff, Constance Kent and Mary Pearcey.

What?? Oh please. ONLY time I've ever heard of a woman doing this was someone doing it to a pregnant woman, and it was to take the baby (creepy). To do it that many times, and to the same type of victim? Makes no sense at all to me.

I can't think of any female mutilation serial killers unless it was in partnership with a man (perhaps excepting Mary Flora Bell) but there have been female murderers who have performed horrendous and senseless mutilation including torture - the Papin Sisters for instance.

There was a crazy queen a few hundred years ago that would kill young women and drink their blood because she thought it would help her keep her youthful appearance.

There was a crazy queen a few hundred years ago that would kill young women and drink their blood because she thought it would help her keep her youthful appearance.
Would that be the "Blood Countess," Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed? "Bathed in the blood of young female virgins" - or at least according to legend. (Wiki link.)

I can't think of any female mutilation serial killers unless it was in partnership with a man (perhaps excepting Mary Flora Bell) but there have been female murderers who have performed horrendous and senseless mutilation including torture - the Papin Sisters for instance.
Mary Bell. (Shudder.) (Wiki link.)

Was Jack the Ripper a cart driver from Bethnal Green? (Telegraph)
Authors Christer Holmgren and Edward Stow believe the most likely suspect for Jack The Ripper is Charles Cross, a cartman who claimed to have found the first victim prostitute Polly Nichols on August 31 1888.

Cross was discovered crouching over the body by a witness Robert Paul.

He told police he had been walking through Bucks Row on his way to Pickfords’ depot in Broad Street at around 3am when he found the body of Nichols.
---
And all the subsequent murders took place between his home in Doveton Street in Bethnal Green and his work at Broad Street at times when he would have been walking to work.
---
Mr Stow said: "We have found out that he gave a false name to the police. His real name was Charles Latchmere."
---
the rest, along with related links to recent Telegraph Ripper-related articles, at link above

Yes, although he was mentioned as a potential Ripper years ago, he is the new hot topic now. I had noticed that there were busy Cross threads on both JTRForums and Casebook: Jack the Ripper but I didn't know what was making him such a big deal all of a sudden.

In The Complete Jack the Ripper A to Z it says that Cross was first proposed as the Ripper in print in the April 2007 edition of Ripperologist magazine so it's been around more than 5 years at least.

And all the subsequent murders took place between his home in Doveton Street in Bethnal Green and his work at Broad Street at times when he would have been walking to work.

So it's their theory that all the murders happened on a workday at the same time.

Whoops.

I watched a video on utube the other night Im not sure when it was made but it was based on doing some computer work on the documents they were allowed to get by law FOI act and then from that they located some boxes that were left in one of the old law libraries ..What they found was a diary and it says its from the killer AKA Jack and it listed a whole bunch of things that all lined up. I fell asleep lol before i could hear the end but what i found really weird .Oh and the diary 4 out of 5 Ripperoligists as they call them i think it means so called experts but 4 of 5 said the diary was the real deal pretty cool I thought anyway...But there was one twist i was not exspecting from the diary they had it narrowed down to 2 people dont recall the names at the moment but one of them was a woman. Yes you read me correct lol..They say one of the POI's is a Female. Has anyone else ever heard of that before that Jack the ripper could have really been a female ..Jackie the ripper HaHa I made that up .THE NAME i mean not the fact that they said a woman was a POI that part was all true..

Is that the Maybrick diary or another one I haven't heard of?

Did anyone read John Douglas's interpretation of the case? I tend to agree with him that The Jack The Ripper that was killing was not writing letters to the press or police. That it was someone trying to increase newspaper circulation. There were no details in the letters that were not already well known and the liver I believe could have come from an animal or anywhere else for that matter. They didn't have the technology then to do the adequate testing.

He says that the personality of the person who would have committed these crimes wouldn't be a gloater and write letters. I thought that was an interesting thought. Doing a little research myself online, police departments and newspapers regularly receive letters from nut jobs whenever there is a crime in the news, but they rarely are legit or produce any leads that haven't already been leaked.

It's possible this was a sick, sick person who just happened to be lucky enough to elude police. (Hell we have one of those in Aurora, Colorado that was active in the 80's.) I don't know, folks here know a lot more about the case than me - I just thought it was an interesting thought since so much emphasis is always put on the letters. What if the real killer never even wrote them?

Another poor sod laboring under the illusion that Jack must have been a southpaw. (smh)
Infamous serial killer Jack the Ripper was a surgeon working near the murder scenes, a professor believes.

Prof Eduardo Cuitino, 38, has identified Whitechapel hospital doctor Stephen Herbert Appleford as the man who brutally killed five women in 1888.

He said university rower and swimmer Appleford was strong and left-handed as the Ripper was reputed to be.
---
Prof Cuitino, a probability expert at the ORT University in Montevideo, thinks Appleford began his killing spree after his mum died in 1881.

In 1882, a woman was knifed in East London and Appleford was found nearby.
---
Daily Mirror

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop