UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some big clues. The Royal family from that time all had flat chins. Also the handwriting, in the Oct 6th letter is that the word reckon used? Someone from England would not use that word. Just something to think about. Also the blood spatter does not match up.

Some big clues. The Royal family from that time all had flat chins. Also the handwriting, in the Oct 6th letter is that the word reckon used? Someone from England would not use that word. Just something to think about. Also the blood spatter does not match up.

Could you be more specific about the October 6th letter -- who was it addressed to? How do we know it was from the killer and not someone else? Can you explain what you mean when you say "the blood spatter does not match up?"

Could you be more specific about the October 6th letter -- who was it addressed to? How do we know it was from the killer and not someone else? Can you explain what you mean when you say "the blood spatter does not match up?"

Go up to on this page the link by Trident. There are several pictures and letters posted. You kinda of have to go back and forth. Let me know if you understand.

Go up to on this page the link by Trident. There are several pictures and letters posted. You kinda of have to go back and forth. Let me know if you understand.

I'm not sure why you can't just explain it here -- a few posts back, you described your opinion as "expert."

I'm not sure why you can't just explain it here -- a few posts back, you described your opinion as "expert."

Sorry it took so long to get back, when I found the actual letter it was in a slide show and I couldn't edit it out. I found a copy of the letter and it does say reckon. I have never personally ever heard anyone from the United Kingdom say reckon, especially from that time period. I call myself an expert due to the fact that I have researched this subject in length and my roommates Uncle who was a historian not to mention a member of the royal family and knighted 7 times, has read over 50 books on the Royal family, which I have possession of but haven't had time to read them all. We had many discussions on this particular subject. After many discussions I had to side with my roommates Uncle, Jack the ripper was a distraught member of the Royal Family. Uncle Frank passed in 1999 and just can't remember the name of who he thought it was.

http://www.whitechapelsociety.com/i...threatening-letter&catid=38:letters&Itemid=46

Here is a picture of the blood splatter. IMO with the gruesome mutilation of the face the blood would be on left side of the wall also.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2677/4158478360_cb83fbca20_z.jpg

I once read an article that claimed that the whole "Jack the Ripper was a Royal" was made up at the time (in the 1880s/1890s) to rile up anger against the monarchy. Apparently at the time there was widespread support for abolishing the monarchy and establishing a republic. Republican sentiment is not a recent thing and in fact it was much more common back then than it is today.

At any rate I don't see what the big deal is. So what if some Royal may have been Jack the Ripper over 100 years ago? The monarchy isent going to collapse because of something that happened half a century before Elizabeth II was even born. The Royals are humans just like the rest of us, there's bound to be a few bad apples in the bunch.

I once read an article that claimed that the whole "Jack the Ripper was a Royal" was made up at the time (in the 1880s/1890s) to rile up anger against the monarchy. Apparently at the time there was widespread support for abolishing the monarchy and establishing a republic. Republican sentiment is not a recent thing and in fact it was much more common back then than it is today.

At any rate I don't see what the big deal is. So what if some Royal may have been Jack the Ripper over 100 years ago? The monarchy isent going to collapse because of something that happened half a century before Elizabeth II was even born. The Royals are humans just like the rest of us, there's bound to be a few bad apples in the bunch.

You would think but divorce was considered a crime with the Royals back then. If people only knew how many (as we would call them today) "Love Children" were born, the monarchy probably would have fallen.

Legalmania, I know it's been a while so I hope you're still around. I'm really interested in your post.

Sorry, but I'm a bit puzzled about the flat chin thing - what does that mean?

I'm English, and I use the word 'reckon'. In some parts of the UK (I'm thinking particularly Gloucestershire and Hampshire) I would say that word is extremely commonly used.

The blood splatter in the picture you posted is from an reconstruction in an art display, and although it's really good, it's not that accurate.

Brief glimpse 80+ years on of the Hanbury Street location of Annie Chapman's murder, from an excellent documentary ("The London Nobody Knows," with James Mason) in 1967. The site no longer exists.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjIUQqrkJdU"]Jack the Ripper: scene of the Hanbury Street murder, filmed in 1967 - YouTube[/ame]

Hey . why do we allways say that no one knows who comitted the jact the ripper murders. I figured It out after the very first article I ever read who the killer was It's kinda Obvious..His name was Jack..lol

Hey . why do we allways say that no one knows who comitted the jact the ripper murders. I figured It out after the very first article I ever read who the killer was It's kinda Obvious..His name was Jack..lol
Well....kinda sorta. As the name derives from a few of the many letters sent to police and journalists at the time of, and after, the canonical five killings and most every Ripperologist feels that none of the letters were from the actual killer, we're not even sure of that much. Would that we were. No one is sure of anything. Which makes the case doubly fascinating, 124 years on.

As a name, though, Jack has come to seem - has always seemed, really - perfect. A poem from one of the letters:

I’m not a butcher, I’m not a Yid,
Nor yet a foreign skipper,
But I’m your own light-hearted friend,
Yours truly, Jack the Ripper.

Hmmm I have never heard that little poem before I like it..I like the Lizzy Borden Ryhme Too..If we have learned anything in the time since jack it's for sure that seriel killers don't just stop this jack and the Zodiac are one that something had to have happened for them to just stop BTK looked like he was going the way of the Zodiac But then when he was caught he said he was scoping a woman out and i have heard the documentry that jack came to newyork but i wasn't convinced of that one pretty sure someone knows who jack is/was and stopped it back then otherwise thier would have been more.

I think the reason why their not releasing these files is not because it has anything to do with the royal family but because of some of these reasons:

When the original scotland yard was blown up (by the IRA), quite a few of the jack the ripper files were destroyed.

Over the last 100 years, an unbeleiveable number of these files have been taken by members of the police force, some as souviners, some sold to the press, some to authors etc, Theres been numerous cases of the folders been there in storage but when they open them the actual files are gone.

They had a main suspect but never had the proof, & if the files are still there they cant name him.

The police force then had its fare share of foul ups & dodgy dealings, & theres no way there gonna shoot themselves in the foot by exposing these things by releasing these files, as these things always have a chain reaction effect,as it might not have too much sensitive evidence about jack the ripper but something else they've discovered by accident while searching for him.

Just my opinions folks:websleuther:

When the original scotland yard was blown up (by the IRA), quite a few of the jack the ripper files were destroyed.
The Fenians bombed the old Scotland Yard and did severe damage, but that was in 1884, four years before Jack the Ripper terrorized London.
They had a main suspect but never had the proof, & if the files are still there they cant name him.
Several at the Yard did have suspects; these suspects were not always the same person. Montague John Druitt was the most popular of these at the time; however, nothing really links him to any of the murders, just hunches and suspicions of those involved in the case, however peripherally.

It's been known for many years that many of the files have gone missing. If this is the case here, all the Yard has to say is, "Sorry, we don't have them." They've already face embarrassment for well over 100 years, just on the basis of never solving the crimes. A bit more won't do them in - and it won't come as a surprise, as, as I said, the story of the lost files is well known now.

The other main set of records, The City of London Files, were pretty much destroyed by the Luftwaffe in WWII. There's probably no-one left alive who saw them. In that case, hopefully someone did steal some of them and they will turn up in the future.

I was just in London and didn't even think to go on a Ripper tour. The place where Mary Kelly died was pointed out to us though.

The 50th anniversary was just a year before the beginning of WWII so you would think there would have been some increased interest in the case at that time but I don't see much of a hoopla in that regard. No books or movies about the case came out in 1938.

There was a book that came out in 1937 but the nearest movies were both 6 years before and 6 years after 1938.

The 50th anniversary was just a year before the beginning of WWII so you would think there would have been some increased interest in the case at that time but I don't see much of a hoopla in that regard. No books or movies about the case came out in 1938.
One would think so; cult interest didn't get started till the '50s then exploded around 1970. The two world wars, with their death wounds from bombings and heavy armament often depositing body parts in the trees and whose death counts mocked the Ripper's, made, for quite a while, the Ripper case seem small change indeed.

In 1938 the Nazis launched Kristallnacht and occupied Czechoslovakia. No time for Jack then. (And just after the 25th anniversary of the Ripper murders, just prior to the Great War, Sir Edward Grey said, "The lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit in our lifetime again." Made the Whitechapel crimes seem cheery in comparison, almost!)

I wonder if the reason they won't release the files is that so much has been picked thru by former Scotland Yard detectives and become souvenirs in their private collections that there is possibly an embarrassingly small amount of actual evidence remaining. Not speaking from any knowledge, just a suspicion. I used to check up on ripper news quite often but have fallen aback as of late.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back