Found Deceased UK - Janet Edwards, 66, Beechwood Court, Hereford, 10 Dec 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hadn't realised Janet's mother's flat was empty, so paying a visit to it that afternoon and leaving her belongings there can surely only point to one thing - Janet intended to make this one last visit to her mother's home.

Leaving her things at the flat and her car in the car park then walking off down Venns Lane looks sadly to mean only one thing - self-harm. It's awful to say that but it looks the most likely scenario now.

Janet hasn't been seen since the 3pm sighting that afternoon, and I think pretty soon after she left Beechwood Court she probably headed into woodland somewhere in the area, and that would explain the lack of any sightings of her that afternoon.

Thanks for this update WiseOwl. I also had not realised JEs mother’s flat was empty, which looks as though mum was not going back home after her hospital stay.

I agree, this does look like self harm now.

After visiting her mother in the morning, she left her belongings and car in a safe place, where they could be picked up by her relatives.

When they said her moms flat was empty I thought they meant as in her mom not being there because she was in hospital rather than being completely empty ..not sure now though

When they said her moms flat was empty I thought they meant as in her mom not being there because she was in hospital rather than being completely empty ..not sure now though

Yes, that's right, her Mum was in hospital.

I thought empty as in cleared out but yes, possibly just meant empty while mum was in hospital.
Although, could still be a self harm situation. JE leaving her belongings and car where they would be safe and found fairly quickly, but not in a place that would give clues as to where she had gone.

This case has been on my mind for several weeks now. I am a resident of Hereford and am very familiar with the area. I genuinely cannot stop thinking about what may have happened to Janet. I've been making some speculations of my own and my gut feeling is that she has unfortunately hurt herself intentionally somewhere. There is a huge area of wetland within 10 minutes walk of Beechwood Court called the Lugg meadows. It is a large area (46 hectares) and is routinely flooded each winter, severely limiting the accessible area for walkers. I don't believe the search parties have looked in the Lugg (based on web searches and Facebook sleuthing) and there is a route from Beechwood to the Lugg where no business/company CCTV are present. It's just residential housing. The Lugg meadows are a beautiful place and areas are very quiet and off-road, making it a decent place for someone who doesn't wish to be found. I can't bear the thought of Janet being left there, undiscovered.
I'm going to be in town soon, I might go on a search if it wouldn't be inappropriate.

I had a thought this morning regarding Janet, and was wondering if she may have committed suicide in a body of water, hence the reason for not finding her. There are many rural places in Hereford.

I then started thinking about Richard Okorogheye, who disappeared and was eventually, having committed suicide, in a large pond in Epping Forest, Essex......over 2 hours from his home in west London.

The police only found him there and knew to look in that are due to phone pings, then a CCTV sighting of a taxi driver who dropped him off nearby.

With Janet, we don't even have phone pings.....it's a total needle in a haystack situation.

Found Deceased - UK - Richard Okorogheye, 19, Oxford Student, Ladbroke Grove, West London, 24 March 2021 #2

Last edited:
I hadn't realised Janet's mother's flat was empty, so paying a visit to it that afternoon and leaving her belongings there can surely only point to one thing - Janet intended to make this one last visit to her mother's home.

Leaving her things at the flat and her car in the car park then walking off down Venns Lane looks sadly to mean only one thing - self-harm. It's awful to say that but it looks the most likely scenario now.

Janet hasn't been seen since the 3pm sighting that afternoon, and I think pretty soon after she left Beechwood Court she probably headed into woodland somewhere in the area, and that would explain the lack of any sightings of her that afternoon.

I pretty much agree.

As I have said before, her mother, in hospital, in late 80s/early 90s, obviously not fully fit, a despondent time, which may have contributed to her own depression and despair.

BREAKING NEWS | Emergency services called to reports of a body in the River Wye in Herefordshire | Herefordshire’s Independent Source of News & Information

No confirmation of who the person is at this point, but I'm keeping an eye on this for updates thought I would share here incase they update soon. So sad regardless of who the person might be :'(

Thank you for alerting us.

This does sound like there may be a breakthrough. Will check if any others missing locally, but given this was sadly the likely outcome for this lady after so long, I think it may well be her.

1:38pm
Ambulance statement
"We were called by the fire service at 10.41am this morning following reports of a person in the river Wye near Backney Bridge, Ross on Wye," an ambulance service spokesperson said.

"An ambulance, paramedic officer, community first responder and HART paramedics attended.

"Sadly, it quickly became apparent that nothing could be done to save the person and they were confirmed deceased on scene."

12:29pm
EMERGENCY crews have been called to the river Wye after reports of a body being discovered in Herefordshire this morning.

Police, firefighters, and paramedics were called to the river Wye near Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire.

A police spokesperson said: “We were called to the river Wye in Netherton at around 10.10am this morning (Thursday 10 March) following reports of a body being discovered by the river.

“Officers remain at the scene, and as this is an ongoing incident it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time.”

Body found near river Wye in Herefordshire

Perhaps both are true. Perhaps the body was removed from the water by the time police were called.

There are also two different places named as to where the body was found. In the one you quoted it states 'body by the river in Netherton' and in @MsMiniSleuth's post yesterday the Ambulance statement says 'a person in the river Wye near Backney Bridge, Ross On Wye'.

As the fire services were called first I'm assuming the body was stuck somewhere - most likely in the river, otherwise it would be police or ambulance first to respond imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead
Back