Found Deceased UK - Janet Edwards, 66, Beechwood Court, Hereford, 10 Dec 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was thinking about Janet today, and really, this case is becoming ridiculous now. People do not disappear into thin air. I've never known a missing person case in the UK where so little is known. In fact, nothing is known really.

The police don't seem to have revealed anything else since the 2nd day she went missing. And I think that's because they really don't have anything themselves.

Good point about her perhaps getting into another vehicle.

The lack of CCTV sightings along a road which has many buildings that would have cameras, is worrying.

What is the next course of action for the police? Do they have one?

Yes, agree completely. Unless there’s info we’re not privy to, and which family knows, they must be exasperated. It’s so strange that there’s so little interest, attention or info.

<modsnip>

It seems bizarre to us that “nothing is being done” but if you think about it, the only missing persons cases that really get publicity are the ones where friends and family keep them in the forefront of public consciousness.

You’ve only got to look on the U.K. board on here to see how many people are sadly missing at any one time, yet how many of them can we name apart from our own “pet” cases? We don’t get daily media updates on any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

It seems bizarre to us that “nothing is being done” but if you think about it, the only missing persons cases that really get publicity are the ones where friends and family keep them in the forefront of public consciousness.

You’ve only got to look on the U.K. board on here to see how many people are sadly missing at any one time, yet how many of them can we name apart from our own “pet” cases? We don’t get daily media updates on any of them.

I don't think it's so much the fact that nothing is being done or not getting daily updates, it's just that there is such a lack of information about Janet's background right from the beginning of her disappearance.

No mention of any health issues or medication she is on, nothing about when her mobile phone was last used, not saying whether the last sighting of Janet at 3.00 that afternoon was by a witness or on CCTV. The public don't need to know everything about a person's background, but usually these things would be mentioned by the police in the media.

<modsnip: referenced quoted snipped>

I also think the local reporting has not been the greatest in this case, constantly repeating statements from the police that were said in the first week of Janet's disappearance.

When I clicked on The Hereford Times online page this morning, at first I thought the headline was a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t figure this out. Kidnapping someone from the streets in broad daylight in the UK is incredibly rare. Likewise, bodies of murder victims are usually found quite quickly too. What we know about her, indicates she does not have a high risk lifestyle. But she also doesn’t sound like someone who would choose to disappear without letting friends and family know she’s safe. What is going on?

I can’t figure this out. Kidnapping someone from the streets in broad daylight in the UK is incredibly rare. Likewise, bodies of murder victims are usually found quite quickly too. What we know about her, indicates she does not have a high risk lifestyle. But she also doesn’t sound like someone who would choose to disappear without letting friends and family know she’s safe. What is going on?

Who's saying she has been kidnapped?

I highly doubt that.

I feel it is likely she will be found no more than a few miles from home.

A search for Janet Edwards, a 66-year-old woman who’s been missing from Hereford since 10th December, is set to take place this weekend.

Wye Valley Runners are organising a volunteer search in an attempt to find Janet Edwards in Hereford on Saturday 29th January.

They are meeting in the car park at Churchill Gardens, Aylestone Hill, at 11am. All are welcome. Please wear sturdy footwear and warm and waterproof clothing.

NEWS | A search for Janet Edwards is set to take place in Hereford this weekend – More Details | Herefordshire’s Independent Source of News & Information

A team of about 150 volunteers have been searching for a former nurse who has not been seen for seven weeks.

Janet Edwards, 67, was last seen at Beechwood Court, in Hereford, at 14:30 GMT on 10 December.

Volunteers came together in the city on Saturday to knock on doors and search the streets.

Friend Ian Sockett, a fellow member of the Wye Valley Runners, said it felt useful to aid the search.

"You feel so helpless, but to actually get off your backside and be active and feel like you're contributing in some way is really, really helpful, I think," he said.

Mr Sockett said Jan was a "lovely lady".

Janet Edwards: Volunteers search for missing woman

Friend of Janet Edwards speak out seven weeks after last sighting

Some interesting points from the above Hereford Times link (BBM):

Friend and club member Nicola Goodwin said: “We are so grateful for them for giving up their time. We are not the police, we are not private investigators, but we are friends of Jan and friends of her family, people who might not even know her just want to try and find some information.

We have said all along somebody must know what’s happened they probably just don’t realise that their information is important."

I would of thought that if somebody knows what happened to Janet then surely they would be aware that their information is important?

150 people met in Churchill gardens, before setting off in fifteen groups of four and 10 to go door to door in areas West Mercia police have asked them to prioritise.

Why aren't the West Mercia Police doing these door-to-door enquires? Is it because they don't have enough manpower to do so or do they believe that Janet has taken herself off somewhere so she is not a priority?

Ms Edwards was last seen in Venns Lane at 3pm on December 10.

A sighting of her in Penns Grove Road in Hereford has since been reported, however this has not progressed into any further information.

Well neither has the Venns Lane sighting has it?

This is from Saturdays Hereford Times:

Volunteers are going to door to door asking for information in the areas listed below:

Beechwood Court, Penn Grove Road, Venns Lane, College Road, Aylestone Hill, Folly Lane and Bodenham Road between 3pm and 7pm.

After 7 weeks still covering the same time span between 3.00 - 7.00 and still covering the same roads except with Penn Grove Road now thrown in.

Still nothing.

Penn Grove Road is a purely residential street of 50 houses about 12 minute walk from Beechwood Court. Unless the sighting was recorded on dashcam or doorbell cam, I’d possibly say it was mistaken identity.

Penn Grove Road is a purely residential street of 50 houses about 12 minute walk from Beechwood Court. Unless the sighting was recorded on dashcam or doorbell cam, I’d possibly say it was mistaken identity.

Yes, it's just off Venns Lane where she was originally sighted, Perhaps this counts as in the "Venns Lane vicinity".
I wouldn't necessarily count Penn Grove Road as a separate location/sighting.

I wonder if there are alleyways linking these residential streets.

Incidentally, the train tations isn't too far away, but then I would have thought she'd have been seen on CCTV there.

Then again, I thought she'd have been seen on CCTV somewhere else too!

Last edited:
Does Janet have an ex-husnand? Current partner? Children? Grandchildren?

We know nothing about her personally, and there have been no public announcements or requests for help from anyone close to her..... except a few friends from her jogging club who seem to be organising some searches.

Was she a very private person or a loner? I just find it odd that she seems such a well loved person, yet no family has spoken out about her disappearance, and no family has ever been mentioned in any newspaper report.
Even something as simple as "Janet, mother of 2 grown up children" for instance, would flesh it out a bit.
But......nothing.

Last edited:
She definitely has one daughter who has been very active on FB .......she appears to have a partner also although it may just be a running partner.

<modsnip>

One person every 90 seconds goes missing in the UK. Astounding figure. Though many are 'missing' for just hours, it would be impossible for both press and media to give coverage to every single one.

Perhaps it is up to all of us here to post and promote our own cases. I have done with several where there was little press coverage, in contacting local papers as a kick off and asking them to highlight.

Last edited:
Wye Valley Runners

I saw a comment on the Vye Valley Runners page which had been organizing searches for her, that Janet's keys and purse were found at her Mum's home, and her Mum was in in hospital.
So, we can assume she was going around to her Mum's house near Venns Lane, to sort out any mail, check the house was OK etc.

After that, I wonder if she then went to the hospital to visit her mother, but chose to walk there, leaving her car at her mother's house so she didn't
A) have to pay for parking at the hospital, and
B) Not struggle to get a parking space, they are are difficult to get at hospitals.

She's a runner, so walking to the hospital would be no problem for her.

Penn Grove Road (where there was a sighting of her) comes out further up Venns Lane. Venns Lane leads onto Aylestone Hill, which then becomes Commercial Road. This is a main road in the town and where Hereford County Hospital is.

The walk is exactly 1 mile and takes 19 minutes according to Google Maps.

On Google Maps, at the junction of Venns Lane and Aylestone Hill, there is a large grassed area that is quite heavily wooded to the north and eastern sides. There is a path leading through these woods too.

There also seems to be a large old building there, I can't tell if it's a house or an isolated building for Nuffield hospital.

Food for thought.

MOO.

Last edited:
One person every 90 seconds goes missing in the UK. Astounding figure. Though many are 'missing' for just hours, it would be impossible for both press and media to give coverage to every single one.

Perhaps it is up to all of us here to post and promote our own cases. I have done with several where there was little press coverage, in contacting local papers as a kick off and asking them to highlight.

Spot on, I admire your utmost commitment @MsMiniSleuth !

I’m from Finland, and yes, people go missing here in this small country (what comes to the population) occasionally as well. I’ll try my best to be more active in the sense of bringing up the Scandinavian cases ..

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back