UK UK - Jill Dando, 37, Fulham, London, 26 Apr 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That may be so but the apparent execution-style nature of the murder points to ' professional ' involvement. There may be no apparent motive but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

MOO
Pros don’t make their own bullets , they just use a smaller caliber gun and correspondently quieter ammo

Pros don’t make their own bullets , they just use a smaller caliber gun and correspondently quieter ammo

That's not what the experts say!

A quantity of propellant was removed from the cartridge which would reduce sound but still produce a lethal result (close contact).

The cartridge case was then recrimped around the bullet in an unusual style.

Last edited:
fwiw, rbbm
''For anyone who shoots centrefire rifles, there comes a time when the subject of loading your own ammunition comes to the fore. It might be because the cost of factory ammunition has become an issue, or because you cannot get a reliable supply of ammunition in your chosen calibre, or simply because you want to add a further aspect of interest to the sport. Some people do, of course, choose to stick with factory ammo. But for those who want to consider taking to reloading their own ammo, you’ll need to know what exactly is involved and whether this dark art is for you!''

A quantity of propellant was removed from the cartridge which would reduce sound but still produce a lethal result (close contact).

“An alternative explanation could be that the gunman was an obsessive fan of Ms Dando who has left a form of signature on the round as a sick joke.”

1999 rbbm.
''Presenting the first significant piece of fresh evidence for several weeks, Detective Chief Inspector Hamish Campbell said forensic analysis of the brass cartridge found at the scene showed it had six parallel indentations around the mouth of the casing. The markings are unlike any other on police files in the UK. Officers have checked with counterparts in Europe, but failed to find a match.

During a press conference at Scotland Yard, Mr Campbell said the marks, possibly made with a drawing pin or small chisel, could have been the killer's trademark, but it is more likely that they were made to keep the bullet firmly in place.''

"It sounds like the ammunition has been assembled by an amateur who does not have the proper equipment to hand," said Mr Spencer. "But the killer may not be the man who prepared the cartridge, so it would be wrong to read too much into this."

''It is also feasible that the person who assembled the ammunition was using cartridges which had already been fired.''

''The circumstantial evidence has steered detectives towards two contrasting theories - Miss Dando was killed by a lone, obsessive stalker, or was shot by a hitman.

One detective in the 42-strong murder squad ruled out reports that the gunman was a former member of the SAS, or was linked to the Israeli secret service, or that the killer had fled to Belgium.''

Ok. If you pause the video at 0.30 there appears to be something written on the bullet.
Im on a laptop with a good spec and viewing in a pitch black room, tilt the the laptop and screen at acute angles to gain a better visual.

I doubt you will see this if using a mble phone

These are just my opinions.

I don't know whether I have posted on this subject before, but David Bieber, who killed PC Ian Broadhurst in Leeds, 26th Dec. 2003, used homemade bullets. Indeed the police uncovered a cache of many hundred in his home. He had also entered the UK illegally via Ramsgate 26th September 1996. I am not suggesting he is a suspect, although he was physically fit enough to carry out the Dando murder, it appears he was elsewhere at the time. But from what I have read [Sorry, long time ago] I seem to remember an article saying homemade bullets were prevalent amongst local gangs at the time. So I would go for semi-professional, local criminal

Last edited:
1999 rbbm.
''Presenting the first significant piece of fresh evidence for several weeks, Detective Chief Inspector Hamish Campbell said forensic analysis of the brass cartridge found at the scene showed it had six parallel indentations around the mouth of the casing. The markings are unlike any other on police files in the UK. Officers have checked with counterparts in Europe, but failed to find a match.

During a press conference at Scotland Yard, Mr Campbell said the marks, possibly made with a drawing pin or small chisel, could have been the killer's trademark, but it is more likely that they were made to keep the bullet firmly in place.''

"It sounds like the ammunition has been assembled by an amateur who does not have the proper equipment to hand," said Mr Spencer. "But the killer may not be the man who prepared the cartridge, so it would be wrong to read too much into this."

''It is also feasible that the person who assembled the ammunition was using cartridges which had already been fired.''

''The circumstantial evidence has steered detectives towards two contrasting theories - Miss Dando was killed by a lone, obsessive stalker, or was shot by a hitman.

One detective in the 42-strong murder squad ruled out reports that the gunman was a former member of the SAS, or was linked to the Israeli secret service, or that the killer had fled to Belgium.''

This seems strange, the report that the gunman was linked to the Israeli secret service. Didn't Diane Lamplugh make similar claims about her daughter's disappearance in the same area?

Im trying to locate an article I read online saying that DCS Brian Edwards had joined DCI Hamish Campbell on the Jill Dando murder investigation. Does anyone have a link to this particular article?

You mean the cartridge, not the bullet!

Ok. If you pause the video at 0.30 there appears to be something written on the bullet.
Im on a laptop with a good spec and viewing in a pitch black room, tilt the the laptop and screen at acute angles to gain a better visual.

I doubt you will see this if using a mble phone

These are just my opinions.

The crimped holes on the bullet cartridge, are they distinctive from each other or are they basically identical to each other?

The crimped holes on the bullet cartridge, are they distinctive from each other or are they basically identical to each other?

I can’t do a still but if you look at the video in the sun news report it does show you the six holes for comparison. They don’t seem very aligned to me - more like each hole was made individually by a single punch by hand than a six-punch tool. But I am basing that on hole alignment rather than the actual hole. (Completely unforensic opinion, pure speculation)

LE have stated that the holes in the bullet cartridge may be there as a result of a quantity of propellant being removed to reduce the sound of the gunshot. They have also stated that the crimping may have taken place in order to hold the bullet more firmly in place in this apparently reactivated gun.
Whoever adapted the weapon and ammunition clearly has a training in firearms. This therefore points very firmly away from the likes of Barry George.

“An alternative explanation could be that the gunman was an obsessive fan of Ms Dando who has left a form of signature on the round as a sick joke.”

However, LE clearly also have doubts that the reasons for the crimping are to do with the practicalities of efficiently carrying out the crime.

The execution-style nature of this crime and the fact an in theory difficult crime to get away with such as this has been gotten away with for so long surely points to professional involvement, however investigators say the fact the bullet cartridge was left behind contradicts this. But what if the cartridge was deliberately left behind by ' professionals ' rather than just an act of forgetfulness?

I can’t do a still but if you look at the video in the sun news report it does show you the six holes for comparison. They don’t seem very aligned to me - more like each hole was made individually by a single punch by hand than a six-punch tool. But I am basing that on hole alignment rather than the actual hole. (Completely unforensic opinion, pure speculation)

If the holes were basically identical, could the reason the cartridge may have been deliberately left behind lie instead in the number of crimped holes, the fact that there were six?

MOO

Only my opinion

I think there is something written on the cartridge, were the indentations from a claw clamp to hold the cartridge steady while words were etched onto the it?

I think it was on the Crimewatch reconstruction HC appealed for the shooter to come forward he said that only he would know a detail at the crime scene that others wouldnt.
Was that detail something that was etched on the cartridge and was that why the cartridge was left behind?

Last edited:
I think it was on the Crimewatch reconstruction HC appealed for the shooter to come forward he said that only he would know a detail at the crime scene that others wouldnt.
Did Crimewatch seriously think that making an appeal would make the perp hold his hand up? It's certainly rendered me speachless...surely they could not be so naive?

Did Crimewatch seriously think that making an appeal would make the perp hold his hand up? It's certainly rendered me speachless...surely they could not be so naive?
My thoughts were they were using it more as an opportunity to publicly acknowledge that whatever they had found had been left by the shooter for a specific reason.

JMO

My thoughts were they were using it more as an opportunity to publicly acknowledge that whatever they had found had been left by the shooter for a specific reason.

JMO
Yes, but they didn't have to make themselves look like wallys in the process. IMO, I think they don't have a blessed thing, and it was just a PR exercise.
Sorry, grumpy old Fox today!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back