GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scroll down for Laurence Penney info.

Joanna Yeates murder: police switch attention to second house
Detectives investigating the murder of Joanna Yeates have switched the focus of their investigation to a second property.

Image 1 of 3
Peter Stanley, 56, who lives in a flat in the mansion to the right of Chris Jefferies on Canynge Road Photo: JAY WILLIAMS

ARTICLE
Landlord Christopher Jefferies was 'meddler'

ARTICLE
Police review unsolved 1974 killing

ARTICLE
Christopher Jefferies: profile of blue-haired eccentric

PICTURES
Joanna Yeates murder

ARTICLE
Joanna Yeates murder timeline

ARTICLE
Parents 'pleased' about arrest

VIDEO
Landlord: I cannot confirm seeing Joanna Yeates

ARTICLE
The unanswered questions
By Martin Evans, Steven Swinford and Caroline Gammell 10:28PM GMT 31 Dec 2010
Officers carrying forensics bags entered a £1.5 million detached house next door to the flat where the murdered landscape architect lived with her boyfriend, Greg Reardon.
They spent more than an hour speaking to the owner of the property, Peter Stanley, and his tenant, Laurence Penney, 41, and later left carrying a small number of items in a brown forensic bag.
Mr Penney, a design consultant, told The Daily Telegraph that he had been asked to account for his movements around the time of Miss Yeates’s disappearance. He said the questioning had been “routine” because he had only just returned home after a Christmas break in Europe.
Detectives took away for examination a maroon BMW car belonging to Mr Stanley, a 56-year-old mechanical engineer.
He drove the vehicle to a police station accompanied by a detective and was driven back about an hour later in a marked police car.
RELATED ARTICLES
Murder suspect landlord 'let himself into tenants' flats' 31 Dec 2010
Jonanna Yeates murder: police investigate second property31 Dec 2010
Joanna Yeates murder: police believe she may have been killed by more than one person31 Dec 2010
Joanna Yeates murder: neighbour interviewed by police over boyfriend's flat battery incident31 Dec 2010
Joanna Yeates murder: Christopher Jefferies helped fix car for boyfriend's trip away31 Dec 2010
The developments came as police continued to question Miss Yeates’s landlord, Christopher Jefferies, 65, on suspicion of her murder.
It is understood that police are keen to establish the chain of events that took place at the address in Canynge Road, in the Clifton area of Bristol, in the hours before Miss Yeates disappeared on Dec 17.
Earlier that evening, Mr Stanley helped Mr Jefferies start Mr Reardon’s car, which had a flat battery.
After successfully using jump leads borrowed from Mr Stanley, the 27-year-old travelled to Sheffield where he spent the weekend with his half-brother, leaving Miss Yeates alone.
Mr Jefferies, a former English master at nearby Clifton College public school, was arrested on Thursday morning after he allegedly reported seeing Miss Yeates, 25, leave her flat with two people around the time of her disappearance.
Detectives were granted a further extension to continue questioning him last night and now have until 7am on Monday morning to charge or release him. Neighbours said yesterday that Mr Jefferies may have spent Christmas away from Bristol, possibly in one of the properties he owned in southern France.
They said they had not seen him at all over the Christmas period and believed he may have been abroad.
Mr Jefferies owned two flats in Nice, in the south of France, which he let out to holidaymakers and friends.
A close friend, who asked not to be named, said he visited the properties once a year to carry out routine maintenance.
The friend said Mr Jefferies was an admirer of French culture and bought a house in the Dordogne in 1995.
“He used to spend three weeks a year there and spent a great deal of time doing the property up. He was always interested in French culture,” he said.
He sold the house five years ago and invested the proceeds in the two flats in Nice.
Mr Penney said he and his landlord, Mr Stanley, had been helping police with their inquiries.
“I’ve been away and police interviewed me today,” he said. “I was here when Joanna disappeared but didn’t see or hear anything unusual.
“I see him [Mr Jefferies] from time to time. He is a very intelligent man, a delightful chap.
“I didn’t see him on that day or after she disappeared. It’s very sad. I assumed she had absconded with someone, I didn’t think she’d had been killed.
“I didn’t know her or her boyfriend myself. Police were just making sure they knew where I was on the day she disappeared, if I had any emails or anything to back up what I was saying.”
As the focus of the investigation moved next door, forensic officers wearing white protective suits completed their search of Miss Yeates’s basement flat.
As detectives continued to question Mr Jefferies, more details emerged of his early life.
Born in Grimsby, he moved to Cheshire with his parents, Kathleen and Edward, when he was aged 10. A pupil at Sandbach Grammar School, he excelled academically, and studied English at Bristol University.
Neighbours of his late parents said he was keen on classical music as a youngster and had an organ in his bedroom as a child.
When his mother died, he played the organ at her funeral.
He joined the staff at Clifton College public school in the late 1970s and was well regarded among the staff and pupils.
In 1991, he bought a flat belonging to Clifton College in Canynge Road in the Clifton area of Bristol.
Mr Jefferies bought the flat in the same building as the one rented to Miss Yeates in the 1990s from a fellow teacher who was currently in jail for abusing a young boy at the property.
Stephen Johnston, a French Master at nearby Clifton Preparatory School, is serving a seven-year term for molesting a 13 year-old pupil.
There was no suggestion that Mr Jefferies had any involvement in Johnston’s crimes.
The Attorney General warned yesterday that some coverage of the case could risk damaging the prospects for a successful trial.
“We need to avoid a situation where trials cannot take place or are prejudiced as a result of irrelevant or improper material being published, whether in print form or on the internet, in such a way that a trial becomes impossible,” Dominic Grieve told the BBC.
Share:

Crime
News »
UK News »
Caroline Gammell »
Martin Evans »
IN NEWS

Joanna Yeates murder

CCTV of Joanna Yeates in off-licence

CCTV of Joanna Yeates in Tesco

Honeymoon murder in South Africa

British spy death mystery

I definitely think she did make it home that night, even if just very briefly to drop some items home, and the police seem certain of this so i am guessing they are holding something back, as like you have just stated there is a possibility that those personal items could have been placed there later on. The whole missing pizza thing is bizarre though. I can't see why it would have been taken from her flat, when the two bottles of cider were left there? Is it a possibility that she lost the pizza on the way home, whilst looking for her house keys? I must say i do think that she was meeting somebody later on that night, whether it be a lover or friend and the locked out theory would explain a lot? The sighting of the 4x4,will hopefully lead to somewhere, although having relatives in Clifton and having visited many times, many residents do have 4x4's. So we can only hope that this does lead somewhere and soon.

The police do seem sure that she made it home- maybe it's something really simple like she ran a bath and was just about to get undressed to get in it and the doorbell rang or the murderer came out of hiding. Anyway a bath full of water and possibly bubbles that weren't there in the morning when Jo and BF left for work would suggest that she made it home.

Also...i've always wondered that about the pizza. maybe she was getting her keys out her bag, had to empty her whole bag to find them, put the pizza on the floor accidentally stepped on it or put it in mud so just binned it

Welcome to WS, Cadfael.

Yes, I've thought about the "locked self out" scenario, as it does solve the coat/bag/purse left in the flat.

As for the BBC link, I'm wondering about the "no sign of sexual assault" versus the "refusing to rule out a sexual motive" conundrum. What are they trying to tell us?

I read that as, the motive was to sexually assault/rape her but she could have accidentally died in the struggle and that's why there was no sign of the act

Thank you, yes I'm definately with Jane!!

Found this bit interesting from The Mail article....

Mr Jones’s hint raises the possibility that an accomplice is involved in the crime and covering up for the strangler, making the police task all the more difficult.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ule-sexual-motive-hunt-4x4.html#ixzz1A1dG7x95

Trying to unnerve the brother? Strange how the police didn't allow the Q & A's to be televised at the press conference.

I have a theory about why her boyfriend may not have thought anything was out of place but her parents did. Her boyfriend (if innocent) had no reason to think anything was wrong when he arrived home. Her parents, however, had reason to believe something was because they were alerted to the possibility of a problem.

Does that make sense? For instance, if I didn’t think anything was wrong, I may assume that a family member accidentally left a candle lit, or the stove on, (my sister does this) or their belongings on a table if they just ran out. But if someone told me that there was a problem with a family member, I would see these signs as proof of a problem.

I have a theory about why her boyfriend may not have thought anything was out of place but her parents did. Her boyfriend (if innocent) had no reason to think anything was wrong when he arrived home. Her parents, however, had reason to believe something was because they were alerted to the possibility of a problem.

Does that make sense? For instance, if I didn’t think anything was wrong, I may assume that a family member accidentally left a candle lit, or the stove on, (my sister does this) or their belongings on a table if they just ran out. But if someone told me that there was a problem with a family member, I would see these signs as proof of a problem.

Welcome to the Yeates thread and WS, 24k. Yes, it makes perfect sense.

Thank you to all you UK WS'ers for providing such good images and maps of the area. The local viewpoints are great for the rest of us.

Is there a social network used over there that a Canadian like me might be unaware of?

Daily Mail does a few add-ons to its basic Yeates piece:

Until now it had been assumed that 25-year-old Miss Yeates probably knew her killer.

But [Detective Chief Inspector] Jones acknowledged for the first time that the murderer might have broken into her £200,000 basement flat in the affluent Clifton area, despite previous police claims that there were no signs of forced access.

He admitted in the fullest public statement since the landscape architect went missing 18 days ago that there were huge gaps in the investigation.

Police still do not know where or when Miss Yeates was murdered, or when her clothed body was left on the side of a snowy country lane, to be found on Christmas Day.
---
And officers have not yet established if she was followed home on the night of December 17 after early-evening drinks with friends at a pub. Mr Jones said: ‘I am satisfied that Jo got back to her flat but I am not going to speculate whether she let someone into the flat, whether someone was already there, or whether someone broke into the flat. These are all lines of inquiry which my team are pursuing.’

Asked about signs of unauthorised entry into the flat, he said: ‘I am considering a number of hypotheses in relation to that and they are lines of inquiry that I am pursuing at this time.

much more at
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...olice-refuse-rule-sexual-motive-hunt-4x4.html

Thanks to all the posters for a thread full of detailed information and very good opinions regarding a truly awful crime.

This is a baffling case indeed and the investigators appear to be up against it after a delayed start.
Not having a crime scene adds to the difficulties.

A big positive is the reported DNA evidence. Any forensic evidence is better than no evidence at all.

Is the perpetrator someone Joanna knew or did she cross pathes with a predator?
Obvious questions with no answers at this stage.

The police will be holding back many aspects of the investigation and only releasing what they want to the media, including red herrings.

I'm going to reread this thread. If this wasn't a sexual attack what on earth was the motive for murder?

Every angle I can think of has been covered here.
Everyone who knew Joanna Yates has to be under suspicion IMO.

I wonder who the witness was who saw the 'light coloured' 4x4?
Did they see anything else?

In this type of crime the investigation always begins with those closest to the victim and moves outwards from there.
With that in mind the boyfriend and the landlord remain under suspicion. That is the way it must be at this stage on the investigation.
There is a lot we don't know about the indivuals involved in Joanna Yeates life.

I am disturbed that a young woman has been strangled and left on the side of a road fully clothed. Why?
What drove the perpetrator to just kill this lady?
It wasn't robbery it appears.
Rape hasn't been mentioned.
In my head, 2+2 is adding up to 5 with this case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12108338

Just saw this link and thought id share it! Does anyone think that maybe Jo was slightly tipsy after her drink with work mates and after going home and drinking more (the cider), locked herself out of her flat by accident? Say to put something like the pizza packaging in the wheelie bin outside? This would explain why her coat/bag/purse were still in her flat? Maybe she then walked to a friends house, as she had no mobile phone on her and then was attacked en route? This is my theory anyway! I think the above link changes a lot though as they are ruling out sexual attack but not sexual relations? Which could imply that she had consensual sex with her attacker?

I hadn't considered this but it seems quite plausible. It is something I can see myself doing and I think is a real possibility. But then if her landlord lived in the same building as her, I'd have thought she would have knocked on his door for help if she had locked herself out. This would lead me back to think he was involved but I haven't seen antyhing in the media that has made me think that is the case yet.

someone hacked the Joanna missing page ... why?

they removed all family as admin. ... why?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/home.php?sk=group_169097479794933

I remember about a year ago there were problems on Facebook with RIP groups being joined by fake accounts (e.g. Darth Vader, Bob The Builder, e.t.c...). Admins were never removed but I wonder if this is something similar. Very hurtful and uncalled for in my opinion though. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

There was a resident in the area where Joanna's body was found. She was driving her daughters somewhere Christmas Eve, around 7 pm, a man ran across the road at great speed, jumped a style and vanished into the woods. I am thinking, could this have been someone involved. Was he one of a group involved who had been dropped off to assist in 'placing' the body at the scene or trying to hide it further from view, but got disturbed, too many cars, someone else saw him etc etc and he fled?

Mystery 64, going back to your post regarding the Sexual Motive, I am thinking that even if Joanna was not raped or attacked sexually, the motive could still be sexual if the murderer/murderers got their perverted pleasure from the actual strangling act. It is possible that this is what LE are suggesting without saying so much.

Just rereading GR tribute again to his girlfriend. Whereas I do not think he is involved some of his comments just seem 'off', such as adding in 'Happy New Year'; it just seems so out of place.

Mystery 64, going back to your post regarding the Sexual Motive, I am thinking that even if Joanna was not raped or attacked sexually, the motive could still be sexual if the murderer/murderers got their perverted pleasure from the actual strangling act. It is possible that this is what LE are suggesting without saying so much.

Just rereading GR tribute again to his girlfriend. Whereas I do not think he is involved some of his comments just seem 'off', such as adding in 'Happy New Year'; it just seems so out of place.

I have often wondered whether there may of been consented sex related to this murder, the LE have not ruled out a sexual motive & theres nothing to say she wasnt having an affair or sexual relations with somebody else ?? Maybe as suggested she may of died as a result of a sexual act gone wrong ... remember Michael Hutchence ??

As for Gregg Reardons 'Happy New Year' statement & the setup of a charity donation in Joanna's name it does make me think this guy is hardly grieving ? Where is all the anger ?? If it were my girlfriend that had been murdered i would be totally distraught & not be able to keep myself together to arrange such things. Still maybe thats his way of dealing with it & am sure he is recieving some form of councilling ?

Also if you look at Gregg Reardons previous fundraisers he has done, its a bit odd Joanna never donated a single pound herself to these good causes ?? (this is my girlfriends research btw.)

www.justgiving.com/joannayeates

http://www.justgiving.com/user/1425147 (Greggs Profile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay