GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joanna Yeates murder suspect Vincent Tabak 'enjoyed normal family Christmas'

24 Jan 2011

Vincent Tabak, the Dutchman accused of the murder of Joanna Yeates, spent a “totally normal” Christmas and New Year with his girlfriend at the height of the hunt for the landscape architect's her killer.

Mr Tabak enjoyed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Tanja Morson at her parents’ home in Cambridge before travelling with her to Holland to spend New Year with his family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...nt-Tabak-enjoyed-normal-family-Christmas.html

In regards V.T and T.M splitting up. I do believe she's strongly said she is very much supporting him, and they never split up. both her, and people around her are quite adamant about this.
She's also quiet upset about being labelled 'as the crying woman' who tippped off the Police.

This Telegraph article by a family spokesman seems to back that up pretty well conclusively IMO.

Vincent Tabak, the Dutchman accused of the murder of Joanna Yeates, spent a “totally normal” Christmas and New Year with his girlfriend at the height of the hunt for the landscape architect's her killer.

Mr Tabak enjoyed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Tanja Morson at her parents’ home in Cambridge before travelling with her to Holland to spend New Year with his family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...nt-Tabak-enjoyed-normal-family-Christmas.html

That story puts him firmly in the U.K over Christmas. The spokesman for the family wouldn't lie IMO.

Good to see the thread back in business as well.

I have been wondering exactly the same things. I also wonder why his glasses were taken as evidence?

He may have disposed of other items in his possession or clothes that he had worn, at the time of the alleged offence. Glasses however, are one essential item that he may not have even considered. Or if he cleaned them, there could still be microscopic evidence somewhere on them, which could be very important.

In regards V.T and T.M splitting up. I do believe she's strongly said she is very much supporting him, and they never split up. both her, and people around her are quite adamant about this.
She's also quiet upset about being labelled 'as the crying woman' who tippped off the Police.

This Telegraph article by a family spokesman seems to back that up pretty well conclusively IMO.

That story puts him firmly in the U.K over Christmas. The spokesman for the family wouldn't lie IMO.

Good to see the thread back in business as well.

That is maybe why it seems that the only family member, who is reported to have claimed he was in Holland over the holidays, was his elderly mother. If this is true, she may have been confused in light of all the stress heaped upon her. I don't think there were any others mentioned.

That is maybe why it seems that the only family member, who is reported to have claimed he was in Holland over the holidays, was his elderly mother. If this is true, she may have been confused in light of all the stress heaped upon her. I don't think there were any others mentioned.

Yes it could be likely.
A shock comment made in a moment of panic. Motherly love, and not knowing how best to protect her boy. A little misguided of her perhaps, but understandeable under the circumstances. She does look a little old too, quick sharp thinking isn't at it's best in later years.

That's why I thought it odd that the GF did not show up at either hearing. She is in Bristol so why not?

I don't find it odd at all. The place (inside and out) was swarming with the media. Seating is limited inside a court room at a magistrates court. There were 30-40 reporters inside, and 3-4 members of the public. Rather a daunting prospect - having to battle through a horde of reporters and news cameras to get inside the court building then try to get a seat inside the court, then if you do manage, you find yourself with 30-40 rabid press reporters all around you.

I wouldn't do it. I don't read anything in to the GF not being there to endure it...for the same reason JY's parents chose not to put themselves through it either.

Which is precisely why I would not want him as my lawyer had I been charged with murder. I would want a top criminal lawyer in the business of defending. I am always suspicious of lawyers who play both sides of the fence.

Guys I wouldn't get too tied up debating about his current barrister because I'd be amazed if this barrister runs with the case up to and including the trial.

More likely he's an interim barrister to cover the early parts and in a few months a QC will be appointed to take over..it's the norm to have a QC where murder suspects and trials are concerned. His current barrister is not senior enough.

Regarding the GF and the court appearance on Monday- it was a media scrum and I doubt anyone that close to the person appearing would want to be a target for the press. JMO.

Guys I wouldn't get too tied up debating about his current barrister because I'd be amazed if this barrister runs with the case up to and including the trial.

More likely he's an interim barrister to cover the early parts and in a few months a QC will be appointed to take over..it's the norm to have a QC where murder suspects and trials are concerned. His current barrister is not senior enough.

I agree with you. You mustn't have seen my other post:
enqueteur said:
How long till he gets a dream legal team from London to represent him, I wonder? I'm thinking his present solicitor will only be doing the preliminaries.

Please advise, folks, if there is anything new in the UK papers today.

As I see it, the media has claimed her father and VT's sister avowed they were still a couple

Absences from the hearings however, appear to speak for themselves. The GF and her family (in fact anyone following the case) would be aware that had she attended the hearings in support of VT, then this alone would confirm the claims of the media re: their still being a couple and re: the GF's 'vowing to stand by him'. Conversely, the GF's non-attendance at the hearings speaks volumes. And I've seen nothing in the media as explanation for the GF's absence. Therefore, the public is left to draw its own conclusions, as I'm guessing, was the intention

Also, if she has provided information to LE and/or is to be called as witness for the prosecution, then she could not/would not attend the hearings lest it be construed she was in some way supporting VT

As she's being treated as a significant witness (as reported by the press) I'd say she's virtually certain to be listed as a prosecution witness. Regardless, if she so chooses she's still free to attend any of the hearings that she wants to. The only limitation will be once the trial starts. As a prosecution witness she wouldn't be allowed to sit in the public gallery to observe proceedings until after she's either been called to give evidence or told she isn't to be called at all. She'd be told then that she wasn't to discuss what was happening in the court room with anyone in the court room themselves who was able to report anything back to her...again, not until she'd been in to give evidence.

Again, if invited to visit VT in prison and willing to do so, she is free to visit him and as often as she wishes and that particular prison allows. Theoretically she could visit him once a week (at a minimum) and with that visit lasting a couple of hours eac time.

If she is to be called as a prosecution witness then the police will be hoping like heck she distances herself from VT - a girlfriend who they have down as a prosecution witness who is still with, or stays friendly with, the defendant, does not an ideal prosecution witness make..for obvious reasons.

J/Y picture has been on the front pages since she went missing, she was a very pretty young lady, people have been waiting for news everyday, they wanted to know what happened to her.

Now a man has been arrested for murder, its a very serious charge, people will gather outside the Court and can get nasty, so I don't think the G/F will want to attend with a nasty crowd outside the court, and reporters looking for pictures.

I can see why they took his glasses. my very first boyfriend many moons ago wore glasses and the hinges were constantly yanking my hair out. if there is any bit of JY's dna in the hinges well...just how did it get there?

also I dont think it's too strange he didnt ask for bail. I suspect he's a flight risk - they will take his passport but we all know there are ways in and out anyways. so he most likely wont be granted it, along with the way the press acts in this country and public feeling high in this case, he's much better off where he is.

I can see why they took his glasses. my very first boyfriend many moons ago wore glasses and the hinges were constantly yanking my hair out. if there is any bit of JY's dna in the hinges well...just how did it get there?

also I dont think it's too strange he didnt ask for bail. I suspect he's a flight risk - they will take his passport but we all know there are ways in and out anyways. so he most likely wont be granted it, along with the way the press acts in this country and public feeling high in this case, he's much better off where he is.

I agree on the glasses. It would be very difficult to scrupulously clean hinges, bolts etc etc. You'd imagine though, that someone would think to replace their glasses for that reason. That would look suspicious but better for it to be seen as a suspicious action than to keep them and risk DNA being found on them later I guess.

I doubt he'll get bail but he may apply for it still in due course. It can take time to sort out people who are willing to stand surety, to sort a suitable address and also to suss out how strong a case..or not.. the CPS have against him. If the case against him is looking strong he'll be much less likely to be granted bail. If, in due course, evidence appears weak, the odds of him getting bail become a bit higher.

If he touched those glasses after handling JY they could still be smothered in her DNA ?? We dont know what happend or in fact if anything happend between VT & JY', but we are presuming going by the arrest & charge the LE believe something did happen. The glasses may of been filthy & thats why they took them.

Hi
This is my first post but I'm a long time lurker.

With regards to his specs being filthy, from experience as I'm an optician, I know that short sighted people (which VT is) tend to keep their specs clean as they can see every little spec of dust and dirt on them. Long sighted people on the other hand don't notice the dirt so much as they are unable to focus clearly close up.

:woohoo: I've missed the camaraderie of this forum - :gthanks: to WS for allowing this space for further discussion, I really appreciate it.

Just a couple of quick thoughts....

Not reading too much into GF not attending hearing, she was probably advised not to attend, it would just have been a media scrum.....

I have yet to read one person who has a bad word to say about the accused? He seems to have an awful lot of intelligent people who believe in his innocence.

On Monday, staff and students at Eindhoven Technical University, where Mr Tabak studied architectural engineering, announced the creation of a fighting fund to aid his defence.

Money raised will be used for legal bills and travel expenses incurred by his family.

“They are convinced he is innocent and have offered their support to the family,” said Mr Vermeij.

As for the Crimewatch appeal not going ahead..... mmm would it have "muddied the waters" ?

If you were covering up a crime, you would have a lot of things buzzing around in your head, and cleaning your glasses would would be the last thing you would think of, and like you say its a good place to check.

But having said that, I find it strange this man has been charged with murder, and while he attends court they need his glasses, you would think they would already have enough evidence without looking for more while he is being charged for murder in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee