GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It really shows how much the media gets wrong when you note how many of them said that VT had left the country on the 18th/19th or 20th December. None of them ever provided a named source for that information but printed it anyway. Now, the official spokesman for VT's family says that VT and TM spent Xmas with TM's family and then went to Holland on 28th, joining their family for New Year and both returned to UK on 2nd January.

So it seems VT was in the UK for the whole time between 17th - 27th December but nobody has said where he was yet. The only reported sighting during that time seems to be about 7pm on 17th December when he came home on his bike and spoke to CJ.

5 days before his arrest, VT told some journalists that he was away the night JY went missing but he didn't give a date for that night. There are Dutch press rumours that a witness can account for his whereabouts but I haven't seen that in the UK press.

It really shows how much the media gets wrong when you note how many of them said that VT had left the country on the 18th/19th or 20th December. None of them ever provided a named source for that information but printed it anyway. Now, the official spokesman for VT's family says that VT and TM spent Xmas with TM's family and then went to Holland on 28th, joining their family for New Year and both returned to UK on 2nd January.

So it seems VT was in the UK for the whole time between 17th - 27th December but nobody has said where he was yet. The only reported sighting during that time seems to be about 7pm on 17th December when he came home on his bike and spoke to CJ.

5 days before his arrest, VT told some journalists that he was away the night JY went missing but he didn't give a date for that night. There are Dutch press rumours that a witness can account for his whereabouts but I haven't seen that in the UK press.

It would be really good to have a brief outline as to what the Dutch are reporting..... if anything.

One thing's been bothering me: removing the body was a risky thing to do, so why do it? To deflect suspicion from people in the house maybe? But... if the killer is intelligent, wouldn't he put her coat back on with purse and keys in pockets, etc., to give the impression that she never went home?

It would be really good to have a brief outline as to what the Dutch are reporting..... if anything.

These links were posted on Facebook - you can get a google translation but they seem to say there's a possible witness who can show he's innocent (or maybe it's saying that there may be a witness - it's not really clear what they mean).

http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/2430560/getuige-kan-onschuld-vincent-t-bewijzen.html

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/8825720/__Getuige_kan_Vincent_T._vrijpleiten__.html

Welcome Veggiefan

Thanks for the welcome - this seems like a much more sensible forum for discussion than some I've seen!

so can we assume the police have the answers in as how, when and why ? or at least a plausible theory.

I guess they think so. But, like others, I worry that what we know of VT does seem very much at odds with the typical profile of a murderer. He presumably has a high IQ, good job, respected at work, described by his sister as "very gentle and social", comes from a highly intelligent and supportive family, no criminal record ... there's an awful lot that doesn't really seem to fit.

I was wondering if LE would have some kind of voice/speech recognition software that would determine whether the crying woman might've been a man pretending to be a crying woman? Too far fetched a theory, perhaps.

How can they do that if it wasn't taped?

One thing's been bothering me: removing the body was a risky thing to do, so why do it? To deflect suspicion from people in the house maybe? But... if the killer is intelligent, wouldn't he put her coat back on with purse and keys in pockets, etc., to give the impression that she never went home?
Yes it's a strange thing to do.

Possible reasons could be that the killer didn't know what coat / footwear she wearing or which bags she was carrying so couldn't stage the scenario of her never arriving home.

If she were killed inside her flat, you'd think that's where she'd be found as removing a body is highly risky as you say. The flat was surrounded by neighbours who could have spotted the event from their windows.

However, if she were killed in someone else's flat/house, removal would be essential so it's more likely someone would take the risk.

I was on holiday in the UK over Xmas and to the best of my recollection the 'eccentric professor' was released on bail and is staying with friends.
The charges have not been dropped, however.
He was released without charge but on police bail, there were no charges, he just has to return whenever requested by police, not leave the country and any other normal bail conditions

or, they might receive information that contradicts their case, which would be handy for the defence barristers.

i too wondered why crimewatch was dropped - it might have brought more info to bear on the case - i would hate to think that the police do not have real evidence on VT and info may come out that puts doubt over the arrest,or am i overthinking -no, it must be that the police must have proper evidence therefore no need for the reconstruction to be shown
:waitasec:

i too wondered why crimewatch was dropped - it might have brought more info to bear on the case - i would hate to think that the police do not have real evidence on VT and info may come out that puts doubt over the arrest,or am i overthinking -no, it must be that the police must have proper evidence therefore no need for the reconstruction to be shown
:waitasec:

Or would a good defence lawyer claim that in showing the reconstruction the police weren't confident in the charge against VT.

Me too :yes:

Someone else on a previous thread about this case also said they didn't believe VT did it because of his background.

Basically we don't know exactly was going on in that house.

Indeed. People of all backgrounds can and have indeed committed murder, but I think that the arrest of VT feels wrong at the moment. It might become more clearer though as time goes on.

i too wondered why crimewatch was dropped

It's probably because BBC lawyers advised that broadcasting details of the case now that a charge has been brought could risk an action for contempt of court.

Similarly, Crimewatch is only ever available for 24 hours after broadcast, just in case a charge is brought soon after the programme has been on air.

He was released without charge but on police bail, there were no charges, he just has to return whenever requested by police, not leave the country and any other normal bail conditions

Although, it might have cleared some of the confusion up, they might think it's a waste of time if they believe they have her killer in custody. That now makes room for a more pressing crime to be aired

Thanks for the welcome - this seems like a much more sensible forum for discussion than some I've seen!

I guess they think so. But, like others, I worry that what we know of VT does seem very much at odds with the typical profile of a murderer. He presumably has a high IQ, good job, respected at work, described by his sister as "very gentle and social", comes from a highly intelligent and supportive family, no criminal record ... there's an awful lot that doesn't really seem to fit.

Ted Bundy had an IQ of 124 and was training to become a lawyer. Also had been groomed by the Republican Party for local political office. Good looking, clean cut, all American boy.

How can they do that if it wasn't taped?

Did A & S state it wasn't taped? I just assumed the incident room phone number would have all the bells and whistles on it.

What exactly do we know about the phone call?

Did A & S state it wasn't taped? I just assumed the incident room phone number would have all the bells and whistles on it.

What exactly do we know about the phone call?

From my experience if the call was made to ANY police tel number it would be taped. The Independant Police complaints use most of the tapings to investigate complaints. My friend was attacked and every call was documented exactly as it came through, dates, times, commentary. In all about 20 calls.

From my experience if the call was made to ANY police tel number it would be taped. The Independant Police complaints use most of the tapings to investigate complaints. My friend was attacked and every call was documented exactly as it came through, dates, times, commentary. In all about 20 calls.

enqueteur/robin, i'm sorry, got the wrong end of the stick, i thought you were talking about the person who said they heard a woman crying for help on 17/18th december, *help me* and reported it to police, thats why i said how could the crying be taped?

i didn't realise you were talking about the crying woman who rang the police and gave them some info

It's probably because BBC lawyers advised that broadcasting details of the case now that a charge has been brought could risk an action for contempt of court.

Similarly, Crimewatch is only ever available for 24 hours after broadcast, just in case a charge is brought soon after the programme has been on air.

thanks for that, it still sits strange with me though, the papers can print things after charges were made, so why not crimewatch? i mean what is this contempt of court thing about? i dont see what harm it would do at all

Ted Bundy had an IQ of 124 and was training to become a lawyer. Also had been groomed by the Republican Party for local political office. Good looking, clean cut, all American boy.

But there was a lot in his background that signalled trouble, ranging from the fact that he discovered that the person he thought was his sister was actually his mother, to a record of being a compulsive thief before he left school.

My point is, from what we know of VT, there's not the slightest thing that suggests anything like that. I know there's an argument that he might somehow have "snapped" as a result of some misunderstanding. Perhaps he did, but in my experience intellectuals don't let their emotions so overtake them that they harm others - they might storm out of the room, slam the door, curse, retire in shame and embarrassment, and so on. But intellectuals spend their lives considering the consequences of their actions ("what if I make that move in chess", "what if I make that change to a building I'm designing", and so on). It's so inbred, that I find it very difficult to imagine VT over-riding all that, even in a moment of passion, without his subconscious reminding him of the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitty Marie