DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mirror has an interesting look at the case:

Who did Joanna Yeates share pizza with?
By Dai Davies, former Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Superintendant

Retired detective Dai Davies spent 42 years investigating murders and other high-profile cases. He retraced Jo Yeates’ final steps and here gives his verdict on how her killer could be caught

Much more at link above.
"My visit to Bristol showed me a huge, committed and professional police i*nvestigation. But police should take on board constructive advice and I hope opportunities have not been missed to find Joanna’s killer."

I don't think the guy in charge of this investigation is likely to take on board any advice..judging by the way he banned ITV news when they were critical of his handling of the case. Time for new blood in the hunt for her killer.

"My visit to Bristol showed me a huge, committed and professional police i*nvestigation. But police should take on board constructive advice and I hope opportunities have not been missed to find Joanna’s killer."

I don't think the guy in charge of this investigation is likely to take on board any advice..judging by the way he banned ITV news when they were critical of his handling of the case. Time for new blood in the hunt for her killer.

Americans of a certain age (like me, for example!) are probably scratching their heads and wondering why "the Yard" has not been called in yet.

Here it is, only place I could find it, Small World News Service, evidently directly quoting friend Rebecca Scott:
Jo was photo-timed in one of the shops at 8.36 and didn't appear to be on the 'phone?

Americans of a certain age (like me, for example!) are probably scratching their heads and wondering why "the Yard" has not been called in yet.

Scotland Yard is London only. We have a localised police service with no central police force. The Metropolitan Police is the top UK force and has a central role. But can't intervene.

Scotland Yard is London only. We have a localised police service with no central police force. The Metropolitan Police is the top UK force and has a central role. But can't intervene.

Thanks. I do realize that now, but when I was a young sprout, books all seemed to suggest that the Yard was inviolable and officers "on loan" were traipsing all over the country to solve baffling crimes.

An interesting continuation to the discussion since I was here last.
I'm not sure if I'm able to quote from the previous thread, but here are some thoughts that are going through my head.

-- Casual Acquaintance Guy --
He can almost certainly be ruled out swiftly. For one, we understand at the moment that he didn't even reply to Jo's invitation to hook up for a drink.
The idea that he just turned up at her house instead is simply weird. If somebody invites you to meet up for a drink and you're interested in them -- well, you just say "yes, let's meet up."
I also think he can be ruled out because, even if Jo is perhaps interested in the prospect of something romantic happening, she would almost certainly meet him in a pub or bar. The night is still young, for one thing. But anyway, after 18 months of not seeing somebody, *even if you have possibly amorous inclinations towards them*, you'd arrange for initial contact to be in a pub or some such place. If this were the case, we'd have witnesses and CCTV.
But anyhow, the fact that we're told he didn't answer is anyway enough.

-- Press release from parents --
As noted (by Sgt Jones?) the frequent mention of Greg in this is significant and as such it's very different from the New Year's Day release which made mention of Jo's friends' support, but not mention of Greg.
I think we see a very clear journey in the relationship between the parents and Greg in the time since Jo's disappearance.
First, they are united. We hear that Greg spent a number of nights staying with Jo's parents after the first appeal.
But then a rift appears between them. At the laying of flowers, Jo's family gets into a car but is not joined by Greg. In a Daily Mail article shortly after the landlord has been arrested, Jo's parents say that they have not spoken to Greg for a couple of days -- which is quite remarkable.
But then we get this hagiographic talk about Greg in the latest release.
The reason for this vacillation is, I believe, because shortly after the initial appeal Jo's parents discover that all was not as it seemed in the relationship. This makes them feel pretty frosty towards him, hence his not being mentioned at all. However, more recently they accept that if they are going to serve the interests of the inquiry best then they should present a united front with Greg. The parents remain angry at Greg but, believing him innocent, don't want the help in the campaign to be diverted by the public's belief that Greg is the perpetrator.

----

There are various other things I'd mention if I weren't quite so shattered right now, but the only remaining one that I think is really important and I think is overlooked is

-- Peter Stanley --
There has been discussion in this thread of the 1974 Carruthers case, and I think this may be really important. Very important. Some of the similarities are breathtaking.
Some people here have speculated whether the landlord might fit the description of the killer in that case.
Those people might do well also to check out this chap, who was 19 when the earlier murder took place.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/EqOF...+Yeates+Murder+Case/vq10jcbNUf9/Peter+Stanley

People may also like to check out the handful of quotes by him in the press, two of which conflict seriously and others of which are also, I believe, very telling.
I believe there is a curious nexus between Peter Stanley, the landlord and some of the other nearby residents, in particular Geoffrey Hardyman. If the case is ever solved, I think we'll learn some pretty gobsmacking things about some of the residents of sleepy Clifton.
On which note, I'm exhausted so bye for now.

:floorlaugh:
Sorry, missed this. Like whitedove suggested, it circumvents slow loading, especially for those with antiquated equipment.

As this is the first thread I've started which ran over 500 posts, I'm doing it also as a means of organizing, like inserting a paragraph.

LOL (if you yanks understand that, (LOL)

Row K! (As Scooby would have said! LOl)

:great:

And also "tee hee" which is of course, the "British Stiff Upper Lip!"

As for "Row K" - ask Peter schmeichel and the the pesky, meddling kids!" LOL

Dai Davies. Interesting link, I was wondering about the text Jo sent, but got no reply, I think the young man said he was sleeping, just thought it was strange as it was early evening, unless he did shift work.

Dai Davies said he worked in circles starting at the crime scene, he said he had retraced Jo's finel steps, but he has missed out the phone call to her friend Rebecca Scot lol

I'm not sure if I'm able to quote from the previous thread, but here are some thoughts that are going through my head.

He can almost certainly be ruled out swiftly. For one, we understand at the moment that he didn't even reply to Jo's invitation to hook up for a drink.
The idea that he just turned up at her house instead is simply weird. If somebody invites you to meet up for a drink and you're interested in them -- well, you just say "yes, let's meet up."
I also think he can be ruled out because, even if Jo is perhaps interested in the prospect of something romantic happening, she would almost certainly meet him in a pub or bar. The night is still young, for one thing. But anyway, after 18 months of not seeing somebody, *even if you have possibly amorous inclinations towards them*, you'd arrange for initial contact to be in a pub or some such place. If this were the case, we'd have witnesses and CCTV.

As noted (by Sgt Jones?) the frequent mention of Greg in this is significant and as such it's very different from the New Year's Day release which made mention of Jo's friends' support, but not mention of Greg.
I think we see a very clear journey in the relationship between the parents and Greg in the time since Jo's disappearance.
First, they are united. We hear that Greg spent a number of nights staying with Jo's parents after the first appeal.
But then a rift appears between them. At the laying of flowers, Jo's family gets into a car but is not joined by Greg. In a Daily Mail article shortly after the landlord has been arrested, Jo's parents say that they have not spoken to Greg for a couple of days -- which is quite remarkable.
The reason for this vacillation is, I believe, because shortly after the initial appeal Jo's parents discover that all was not as it seemed in the relationship. This makes them feel pretty frosty towards him, hence his not being mentioned at all. However, more recently they accept that if they are going to serve the interests of the inquiry best then they should present a united front with Greg. The parents remain angry at Greg but, believing him innocent, don't want the help in the campaign to be diverted by the public's belief that Greg is the perpetrator.

----

There are various other things I'd mention if I weren't quite so shattered right now, but the only remaining one that I think is really important and I think is overlooked is

-- Peter Stanley --
There has been discussion in this thread of the 1974 Carruthers case, and I think this may be really important. Very important. Some of the similarities are breathtaking.
Some people here have speculated whether the landlord might fit the description of the killer in that case.
Those people might do well also to check out this chap, who was 19 when the earlier murder took place.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/EqOF...+Yeates+Murder+Case/vq10jcbNUf9/Peter+Stanley

People may also like to check out the handful of quotes by him in the press, two of which conflict seriously and others of which are also, I believe, very telling.
I believe there is a curious nexus between Peter Stanley, the landlord and some of the other nearby residents, in particular Geoffrey Hardyman. If the case is ever solved, I think we'll learn some pretty gobsmacking things about some of the residents of sleepy Clifton.

Yes, I think the parents and family seem very much together, all hands on each other, but greg is left out at the back on his own, but a lot of things will be going through their minds, what if they had'nt met, they may not have been living in that flat, did Greg have to go away that night, they may blame him for not being there.

Not sure why the thread has to close after so many posts.

<modsnip for snarky>

Sorry, missed this. Like whitedove suggested, it circumvents slow loading, especially for those with antiquated equipment.

As this is the first thread I've started which ran over 500 posts, I'm doing it also as a means of organizing, like inserting a paragraph.

:floorlaugh:

LOL (if you yanks understand that, (LOL)

Row K! (As Scooby would have said! LOl)

:great:

And also "tee hee" which is of course, the "British Stiff Upper Lip!"

As for "Row K" - ask Peter schmeichel and the the pesky, meddling kids!" LOL

Hi Sgt Jones - welcome to WS! And thank you for your interest in Joana's case.

It seems you didn't understand wfgodot's explanation - that's okay. We close and open new threads when the threads get long, because sometimes we have members with dialup access and it takes forever to load a page when the threads get too long.

Hope that helps and if you have more questions, please feel free to send me or any of the mods a pm and we will be glad to try to help you out.

This is a moderated forum and it is wise to read the rules before posting. We don't allow attacking of other posters or a lot of off topic stuff.

Thanks and Welcome!

Salem

I'm curious about the boyfriend. Has his alibi around 8:30 - 10:00 that night been verified? Someone asked why her body was placed near the quarry, and I'm curious about that too. Her belongings were at her house, so it doesn't appear that she was attacked outside of her apartment. If a stranger murdered her, why would he move the body? If the boyfriend had something to do with it, he would most likely move the body to buy himself some time. Am I correct in understanding that she did not have any contact with anyone after the Friday evening?

as an aside, may i ask how many of the posters are women....
i am...
my husband is interested in hearing/mocking theories here...but still takes all on board...
just a point of interest...
i wd guess that most of us are female...say 3/4...

----

-- Peter Stanley --

on a purely gut feeling level i do agree with the surmise aboutthings happening in this part of clifton....feel there must be a connection with previous case....men of a certain age....
i do follow gut feelings most of the time....makes my skin tingle....

I always thoght CJ did it.

But now?

CAG?

Why?

He thought he was on a promise.

Enough said.

If he were at all interested in her, he'd have got back to her IN A FLASH. For me, he's way down the list.

If he were at all interested in her, he'd have got back to her IN A FLASH. For me, he's way down the list.

CAG 'reckons' he was asleep when she texted him on Friday night, so he couldn't get back to her in a flash. Infact he never got back to her at all, despite her not being reported missing until the Sunday night.

:truce:
on a purely gut feeling level i do agree with the surmise aboutthings happening in this part of clifton....feel there must be a connection with previous case....men of a certain age....
i do follow gut feelings most of the time....makes my skin tingle....

For me, it's a lot more than gut feeling.
There are connections with Clifton College uniting various of the players. You have the schoolmaster who lived in the building who was convicted of paedophilia. There's Stanley, a former pupil, who knew Jefferies in 1974 and is now involved with Clifton College as exams officer and shooting instructor. There is Hardyman, former master, who is apparently in bed in the top flat and who is connected through a cousin to the 1974 party and who was living just a few hundred yards from the 1974 murder. (A bit of research shows other possibly relevant people in 44 and 42, but i don't want to mention possibly peripheral people). You have the fact that the body dump site is close to Clifton College playing fields and the currently active shooting range. You've got the similar murder method. No shoes on body. Time of year. All sorts.

CAG 'reckons' he was asleep when she texted him on Friday night, so he couldn't get back to her in a flash. Infact he never got back to her at all, despite her not being reported missing until the Sunday night.

All the more reason for him to be way down Slewth's list, and mine too.
Even if there weren't this absolutely clear reason to rule out CAG there would be others. For instance, freakish killers don't *tend* to be invited out for drinks by young women. And also if, as some people crazily imagine, a man having his advances spurned leads very easily to murder, there would be thousands of killings every night in the UK.

as an aside, may i ask how many of the posters are women....
i am...
my husband is interested in hearing/mocking theories here...but still takes all on board...
just a point of interest...
i wd guess that most of us are female...say 3/4...

You don't need to be much of a sleuth to tell at a glance the gender of most posters.

I'm curious about the boyfriend. Has his alibi around 8:30 - 10:00 that night been verified? Someone asked why her body was placed near the quarry, and I'm curious about that too. Her belongings were at her house, so it doesn't appear that she was attacked outside of her apartment. If a stranger murdered her, why would he move the body? If the boyfriend had something to do with it, he would most likely move the body to buy himself some time. Am I correct in understanding that she did not have any contact with anyone after the Friday evening?

Am in dash but to fill you in on a few things briefly.
Indeed, no known contact after Friday. Most evidence points to her being killed and dumped around that time, but if that is not the case then of course interesting possibilities arise.
Boyfriend's alibi for the time you mention not necessarily verified as such, but not disputed. Police sources suggest that transactions at petrol stations etc corroborate the thrust of his claim that he was out of the area at the time you mention, although we don't have details.
The quarry area is actually one of the first non-built-up patches somebody would get to if driving somewhat randomly out of Bristol. But I think it may be relevant that it's in the area of some of Clifton College's off-site playing grounds.
Depends what you mean by "attacked" really but there's no certainty over whether she voluntarily left flat and was strangled later, was abducted and strangled later or was strangled at the building.
There might be various reasons for moving the body. But, indeed, stranger killers very rarely do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerardclori