GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
no patti -- polygraphs are inadmissable in courts of law here

Are they ever administered?

Here they can be used as an investigative tool if the subject agrees. Naturally you look suspicious if you refuse.

But they are inadmissable in court as well.

They're inadmissable here, too, unless both the prosecution and defense stipulate to doing so. But they're still widely used by law enforcement as a means of narrowing an investigation's scope.

I was reading somewhere the other day, though, that in the UK polygraphs are viewed as essentially an ineffective means of arriving at truth, and thus are used far less than in the U.S.

yes thats right hon - they get used here a lot for 'entertainment' value more than anything else where couples want to find out if their partner has been cheating on them (you can imagine the sort of people and the sort of show)

I wonder if the suitcase/bag could be the THING that the parents knew wasnt right when they arrived and this is how the had the feeling that something terrible had happened ?

I would consider that she might have lent it to a friend before concluding that "something terrible had happened".

Are they ever administered?

Here they can be used as an investigative tool if the subject agrees. Naturally you look suspicious if you refuse.

But they are inadmissable in court as well.

I really dont know tbh. I do know that if I was accused of something I didnt do I'd be PLEADING for one

yes thats right hon - they get used here a lot for 'entertainment' value more than anything else where couples want to find out if their partner has been cheating on them (you can imagine the sort of people and the sort of show)

Yes, I can (he said, chuckling). I think Americans are becoming much more skeptical of the poly as time goes on - progressive viewpoints here reaching critical mass slowly. If one is suspected and hires an attorney, he or she will be advised strongly against taking a polygraph. In 20 years (if not sooner, I hope) they will have been shelved permanently in official investigations.

I really dont know tbh. I do know that if I was accused of something I didnt do I'd be PLEADING for one

In fact, LE will usually ask a spouse or a partner to take a polygraph so as to rule them out thereby allowing them to focus efforts on remaining potential suspects.

I personally think it is a wonderful tool.

Just looking at articles, it appears to be used in the UK in corporate, security uses. And in testing child molestors and people with a history of sexual assault.

I would consider that she might have lent it to a friend before concluding that "something terrible had happened".

Yes, a missing suitcase would just make me think that she'd had a fight with GR, packed a bag, and gone off to stay with a friend. If anything, it would reassure me. Which shows how stupid I am!

Only one person looking directly into the camera. Mightn't mean a thing but it gave me a chill when I first saw this photo.

5x38mc.jpg

Yes, a missing suitcase would just make me think that she'd had a fight with GR, packed a bag, and gone off to stay with a friend. If anything, it would reassure me. Which shows how stupid I am!

not at all stupid teibreid -- but the parents/police would indeed check to see if a bag was missing just to think this the scenario?

Only one person looking directly into the camera. Mightn't mean a thing but it gave me a chill when I first saw it.

5x38mc.jpg

great pictures enzeder - he seems fully aware and conscious of the cameras doesnt he

Do you think maybe he got rid of the body on the Friday in a panic, wanting it out of there, then hightailed it to Sheffield. OVer the ensuing hours he thinks, oh god, that was silly. I should have left it in the flat and done the calls and messages. But too late, what's done is done.
I think in a panic one runs away. Moving a body is already calculating. Some say, 'My wife fell in the stairs and killed herself; in a panic I cut her body into pieces and buried the bags in a forest 200 miles away', but I do not buy their stories.

I get the impression that the killer was not in control of events. Things happened and s/he had to react. Otherwise why does it all seem so jumbled up. No seemingly logical, well thought out actions - why was the body left where it was? Why was her stuff plus cider left in the flat but not the pizza. etc.
Yes, it really feels like we have half the pieces of two different jigsaw puzzles, there.

It's ok for us to say how easy it is to dispose of a dead body from the comfort of our armchair.

But we don't have to face a life sentence, and also the dreaded shame of once close friends to deal with.
You stand to loose your own life should it go wrong. It isn't something you do nonchalant.

I'm not buying the drugs or sex games thing. It's too lurid, no evidence of either ever happening, and the drug thing would have surfaced a long time ago. Gut instincts just say she isn't a druggie, even recreational.

Agree wholeheartedly with every single word you say, Phillb.
The brain can kick into action when all the things mentioned above are in the game. That's when the perp started thinking quickly, coldly, and efficiently.

I also completely agree with what you say about the sex games and drugs.

Have we had any testimonials from GR's friends or immediate family members saying what a great bloke he is?
Have any of his ex-girlfriends been tracked down?

And if the story about the bag is true, why did the perp take her out of it?

According to GR's brothers neighbours, GR brought skis to Sheffield, were they in a bag, did he forget the bag or leave it behind.

The bag story certainly explains why forensics have drawn a blank (apparently) with the cars they have examined. However I can't understand why the body would be removed from the bag before dumping. That would be difficult. Although maybe to get rid of any forensics on the outside of the bag, fingerprints, dna etc?

Which makes finding the bag a top priority. I wonder how long the police have known about the bag? This would seem to be something that the public could help them find, so I really hope they haven't been sitting on this for 4 weeks.

G.R crying video.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/8219528/Family-appeal-for-missing-Bristol-woman.html

Useful tips how to fake crying.

Huhm do I see him doing any of these on the video?

Oh my! It's as though he has studied those tips and is doing a demonstration of fake tears. Something about him has bothered me since the beginning. MOO, and that doesn't mean he's guilty of anything. He just sets off some kind of caution signal in my unconscious mind.

Interesting if the bag is missing as reported here

If the police believe that GR did it but are trying to amass evidence enough to convict him wouldnt they take the chance to bring him in for questioning again along with his half brother in the hope they may catch the pair out??

They were very quick to arrest LL at the very early stages when they probably didnt have evidence they have now.

Or is it that they firmly believe it isnt him?

The more I read and see on here the more I think it has to be him.

Agree that the footage and pictures of him are very dodgy - we are alll seeing it or is it that we want to see it??

Any thoughts?? :banghead:

The bag story certainly explains why forensics have drawn a blank (apparently) with the cars they have examined. However I can't understand why the body would be removed from the bag before dumping. That would be difficult. Although maybe to get rid of any forensics on the outside of the bag, fingerprints, dna etc?

Which makes finding the bag a top priority. I wonder how long the police have known about the bag? This would seem to be something that the public could help them find, so I really hope they haven't been sitting on this for 4 weeks.

In either case its bad police work if A. They knew four week ago the bag was missing or B they have only just found out the bag is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654