UK - Karima Nour 57, murderered & found in suitcases in the canal. Arizo Nour 33, daughter charged with murder, Southall London 6 August 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My perspective from a media POV: With the cuts in traditional media newsrooms, it can be hard to cover every single court. Even freelance court reporters tend to focus on the bigger/more busy courtrooms to maximise the chances of their articles getting used.

Depending on the court, getting information about upcoming appearances or information about appearances already heard can be super hard. I don't know if the Crown makes it deliberately convoluted or if it's just a bit archaic, but I have personally struggled to get the basic information about whether or not someone appeared for a hearing and what the basis of the hearing was (let alone transcripts etc).

So it could be that either someone dropped the ball when it came to checking court rolls online for Nour appearing and didn't know to be there, or they knew but were banking on getting information after.

Couple this with the fact that often when it's diminished capacity, it can be hard to actually report the details because either they aren't heard in open court (judge receives background information, or the accused cannot give a reliable account of what happened) and there are media restrictions around privacy and the reporting of an individual's medical history (yes courts have absolute privilege, but unless something is stated in court it cannot be used).

And if it was heard in private due to the sensitivities of the accused's mental health etc, all bets are off...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar
Back