GUILTY UK - Katie Rough, 7, killed by teen, Woodthorpe, York, 10 Jan 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
do we know how far away they lived from the scene of the crime?
My guess is that this girl was walking Katie home from school so I thought they might not live very far hence the quick time the parents got there

Still leaves the question of how the mother even knew to go to the scene - especially so quickly after the crime occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer wasn't detained under the mental health act !

I dont expect them to be able to sign this off as diminished responsibility

like Spalding this is premeditated and planned , psychosis played no part in this

Still leaves the question of how the mother even knew to go to the scene - especially so quickly after the crime occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the perpetrator contacted her? Typically if a child is a victim to murder it is most likely someone they know. They could have gone to their home or called them. But I did read her parents had reporters her missing which would contradict this theory.

They can't detain under mental health act, not gone to trial yet. There's no plea until crown court and Fridays is only directions and at 15 she cannot enter her own plea or speak. Why they reported her Solicitors spoke for her. There is no use if mental health in child's case for murder at this stage if at all as since they're a child they can't know difference if being insane. Nobody suggested she was in first place except speculation on here.why do you think our laws and procedures have to be like yours. We don't use death penalty or sentence for 80-500 yrs which is ludicrous as nobody lives that long. If they want sentence someone interested they're dead then all they need do is sentence them without ever having parole which has started to happen in some of the most horrific cases where torture was used or similar hineous acts

We cannot mention her name, post her pictures or link to her facebook because she has not been identified by law enforcement. That's the way I understood it at least.

you are absolutely correct! It may seem frustrating, but it is done to keep innocent people from being sleuthed/accused/harassed.

It's certainly had a detrimental effect on journalism. Why bother to interview people when you can copy random tweets and facebook posts?

I talked to a journalist friend about this some time back. I was appalled when I saw comments from social media quoted in articles in MSM. This was back when it first started happening. I expected her to be appalled too, but she said if the journalist is open and clear about the source of the quote, it's up to the reader to decide if it's viable, reliable, etc. She said the writers do need to get through the editor, so there is some other person besides the reporter thinking the source is valuable.

I wanted her to come down on social media as a source, and she didn't. I trust her journalistic integrity. Since our conversation, social media is more and more used as sources....and it's used more and more by adults in their professional as well as personal roles.

Just thought I'd toss that into the conversation. jmo

So sorry to hear about this tragic case. My heart certainly goes out to the family. What a painful day this is for them.

New members need to familiarize themselves with Websleuths Terms of Service and The Rules.

To members whose posts appear designed to incite conflict within a thread, please note the following excerpt from WS policy on Freedom of Speech found in Etiquette & Information:

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. WS is based in the United States, but is not an agency of the Federal or any State government - so the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar State amendments regarding your right to free speech DO NOT APPLY HERE.

Anything that goes against our core beliefs and the purpose for which this community was designed may not be allowed.

Posts and comments intended to incite conflict between members or outside parties are strictly prohibited.

WS Administration has the absolute right to edit, modify, and delete any content found posted on this website.

Please read The Rules and post accordingly or face a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

only thing I can think of is the killer called the parents

I am going to have to go with that theory---that 15 yr old called family home---said something that made parents rush to the scene...IF SO, that must have been the most frightening and devastating thing they could have ever imagined....

I am going to have to go with that theory---that 15 yr old called family home---said something that made parents rush to the scene...IF SO, that must have been the most frightening and devastating thing they could have ever imagined....

I agree. Or, the mom called one of both or the children and the 15yo answered. Whatever direction the communication, I do think they communicated.

I agree. Or, the mom called one of both of the children and the 15yo answered. Whatever direction the communication, I do think they communicated.

OH yes, that is an interesting thought. Mom or Dad calls 15 yr old---asks if she has seen missing lil sister---and the answer was enough to make them come running? *shiver*

OH yes, that is an interesting thought. Mom or Dad calls 15 yr old---asks if she has seen missing lil sister---and the answer was enough to make them come running? *shiver*
or the 15 yo called as a forewarning...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2575254/katie-rough-murder-girl-charged-york/

Alison's ex-husband Craig Smith, of Scarborough, North Yorks, said: "Alison must be heartbroken.

"She was a wonderful mother and always put her kids first.
"She was an absolutely brilliant mother.
"I heard about Katie being born. I never met her but they seemed a lovely little family and really happy. This must have hit the kids hard as well. Alison brought them up to be really caring."
Katie was Alison and Paul's only child together.
Holiday park worker Paul Rough has two other children from a previous relationship while Alison, who was married before, has three older children.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2575254/katie-rough-murder-girl-charged-york/

Alison's ex-husband Craig Smith, of Scarborough, North Yorks, said: "Alison must be heartbroken.

"She was a wonderful mother and always put her kids first.
"She was an absolutely brilliant mother.
"I heard about Katie being born. I never met her but they seemed a lovely little family and really happy. This must have hit the kids hard as well. Alison brought them up to be really caring."
Katie was Alison and Paul's only child together.
Holiday park worker Paul Rough has two other children from a previous relationship while Alison, who was married before, has three older children.

Please translate for an American....what is a "holiday park"?

tia.

Or perhaps there was conflict going on already with the 15 year old and Katie ?
And the parents had a premonition ?
:moo:

Or perhaps there was conflict going on already with the 15 year old and Katie ?
And the parents had a premonition ?
:moo:

Or the 7yo had been telling her mom about something the 15yo was up to??

if the parents were concerned I don't think they would leave her alone with the 15 year old. Although nothing has stated how they came in to contact I.e. She was walking her home or they were playing. I think it would make sense if they trusted her and she was helping take her home or watch over her as she was playing. She was 7 and the neighbours said in the news she would play in the garden, so she was a little bit further from home then normal. Maybe the girl was looking after her, it would make sense.

EDIT; the police are asking for information if anyone saw the two girls. Maybe she was playing in the garden and the girl approached her to go play elsewhere. Then the parents became alarmed and decided to go look for her because she wasn't where she should be.

Please translate for an American....what is a "holiday park"?

tia.

I think a holiday park is equivalent to a campground with cabins here in US. If you search "holiday park, York, UK" they look quite nice. Also -- I believe UKers use the term "on holiday" like we Americans say "on vacation"

Does that help?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back