GUILTY UK - Kayleigh Haywood, 15, Ibstock, Leicestershire, 13 Nov 2015 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Been thinking of them living virtually next to each other - what are the chances of two childhood friends moving and living next to each other in the same village on a street with only 14 houses..even more so when those homes are privately owned and not social housing..we know SB owns his property, but what about LH. By all accounts he doesn't have a regular job or income so does he own the property or does he private rent it? Both of which would require a fair bit of money up front...it's certainly got me puzzled

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Been thinking of them living virtually next to each other - what are the chances of two childhood friends moving and living next to each other in the same village on a street with only 14 houses..even more so when those homes are privately owned and not social housing..we know SB owns his property, but what about LH. By all accounts he doesn't have a regular job or income so does he own the property or does he private rent it? Both of which would require a fair bit of money up front...it's certainly got me puzzled

They're new build starter homes, so I don't think there's anything odd about two friends or acquaintances buying adjacent houses. Perhaps LH's parents helped him buy it, or he may just rent it. Either way, one of them probably mentioned the development to the other, as in "I'm thinking of buying one of these, why don't you have a look too".

Last night I spent about 20mins trying to write my thoughts down after the charges were made public. I gave up because I couldn't articulate my viewpoint clearly enough that I felt people would understand. I think your post did it very well.

One great thing about Websleuths is we're all wanting to use an evidence-based approach to forming our viewpoint about a case. We all look at the same/similar credible information.... yet end up with very different theories. I love that we're able to debate and brainstorm because it really can challenge your theories and help form better ones. We're not always going to agree though!

Don't feel that you have to explore your own values! Whilst some people may not agree or see your point of view, others of us do see what you're saying. When more information comes out, we'll adjust our theories and views accordingly :)

Thank you for your post gia2.

Whilst I don't feel I have to explore my own values, I am glad to have done so, it has helped me to firm up my opinions and attitudes.

It led me to this article here http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-age-consent-around-world-2802173 where it is stated -

"In Europe, countries who have the age of consent set at 16 include Cyprus, Finland, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, and Switzerland.
For Austria, Germany, Portugal and Italy it is 14, and in France, the Czech Republic, Denmark, and Greece it is 15.
Spain did have one of the lowest ages of consent on the continent at just 13, but recently agreed to raise this to 16.
Throughout the rest of the world, there are big variations.
In Bahrain, it is set at 21 for women who want to marry without their father's consent, while in nearby Saudi Arabia, all sex outside of marriage is illegal but there are no laws limiting the age at which you can get married.
In China, the age of consent is 14, in Iraq it is 18, while in Japan it is five years lower at 13.
The likes of Brazil, Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador and Colombia all have it set at 14."

For me, the thing is, were I and my family to move to Italy say, where the age of consent is 14, would I have a different opinion about when it is appropriate for my children to have sexual relations? Should I think that just because UK law says 16 is when all minors are old enough to consent to sex, that the UK has it right and also that all minors are equals? Is the law appropriate if minors are breaking it, and should I rely on other people to decide when it is appropriate and not decide that for myself? Kayleigh was in her 16th year, not quite 16 but how much would she have changed in a few months from being too young to being old enough?

And then we come to the age difference of 12 years. Something attracted her, she chose to meet him, she could have gone with her friend. We are seeing it from how it looks from his point of view to be meeting a girl younger than him, but what about her point of view? Should we also have a law against age differences? Would their illicit meeting have been more acceptable if he were 17? If so, why? Plenty of people are more mature than their ages and plenty are immature. Does LH being immature make him a dangerous predator? Personally I don't think so, without having more facts, but the charge of grooming would insinuate that he is a predator, that he had a devious intent. How about he was just younger than his years and hadn't yet grown out of student-type fancy dress parties and larking around? How about he thought she was a pretty girl, mentioned her to his family and he fancied asking her out? Would the family have pressed charges against him if Kayleigh had come home safely?

Finally I come to facebook. If LH had worked in a chip shop and seen Kayleigh coming in with a friend and had thought she looked nice, perhaps 16 or 17 with her make up on, would it be any different to him finding her fb page and liking her photo? I've mentioned my own teenage experiences, which happened prior to the age of the internet and the smart phone. In fact, when I was in my last year at primary school (gasp) aged 10, my class had a couple of American boys, two brothers, whose father was in the military and as a family they were temporarily staying at a military base in England. We had an outing to their house one day, because their mother wanted to teach us how to cook an American meal. Burgers, Apple Pie etc. It was a great fun day and I remember it like it was yesterday, although I am 51 now. After lunch we were left to our own devices somewhat, and I don't know how it happened but I remember ending up in the bathroom with a group of girls, the boys all standing outside the door. They bribed or begged us (can't remember what was said) to show our private parts to them while they looked through the keyhole! We were 10 and 11 years old! It happens, it is nature, I don't think any of us were abnormal. We had no facebook or snapchat or other technology. I suppose what I'm saying is all we can do as parents, is guide our kids and keep interested in what is going on in their lives and notice if there are any worrying changes. We were taught not to accept lifts from strangers, and that is as true today as it was back then. The equivalent today is the strangers who lurk behind internet contact, people we don't know.

Gosh I'm rambling so much, but I come back to thinking that unless more charges are brought against LH, and until the full facts come out at trial, I'm going to keep an open mind as to his motives towards Kayleigh.

Great post, Tortoise. Legislation imposes a one-size-fits-all rule, which isn't natural. We are all individuals, and we can't be defined by the number of birthdays we've had.

I agree there are many questions how he managed to get a brand new home being a single unemployed male (I know from personal experience how hard this would be)

There is a new build development behind where I live now of ~20 privately built properties that had a rule imposed by the local (Leicester) council that 10% of the houses had to be for social housing. Could be the same here, I guess.

Another possibility is that SB having his own business allowed him to purchase both homes which allowed his old friend to live there via housing benefit?

Edit. There is talk of a 'B&M' store. What is this and the significance?

B&M is a chain of discount stores selling household and general goods.

<modsnip>

It's of no significance. One of the acquitted defendants in the Becky Watts case worked for them, that's the only reason it's been remarked on.

When was Kayleigh's birthday? Was she just a few months past her 15th birthday or was she closer to 16? I don't know if she liked him/were attracted to him or not, but if it was about her first sexual experience, one reason why choosing an older partner (even one who you weren't in love with) could be that with a more experienced partner wouldn't be as painful and rushed if with a unexperienced partner, and that she would learn something from it. Today's world is very sexualised, and I think young people today often feel that they have to be sexually experienced in a way that wasn't true 20 or 30 years ago.

I agree there are many questions how he managed to get a brand new home being a single unemployed male (I know from personal experience how hard this would be)

There is a new build development behind where I live now of ~20 privately built properties that had a rule imposed by the local (Leicester) council that 10% of the houses had to be for social housing. Could be the same here, I guess.

Another possibility is that SB having his own business allowed him to purchase both homes which allowed his old friend to live there via housing benefit?

I was thinking along those lines, maybe SB bought both homes. Is there a way to check property ownership records in the UK? Here in the states we have the GIS system where you can check tax records for property owner details for most communities.

Another quick Q, do we know that Luke was living at number 7 alone? Couldn't that be his family home, with parents?

I was thinking along those lines, maybe SB bought both homes. Is there a way to check property ownership records in the UK? Here in the states we have the GIS system where you can check tax records for property owner details for most communities.

There is the Land Registry (£3.00 charge) but the "owner" would be the mortgage lender I would think, so wouldn't help? I doubt these houses have been purchased outright by either men.

Could be wrong though.

Those houses have just one bedroom, don't they? So not family homes. For single occupancy or couples. I suppose two friends sharing could use the rooms as two bedsits.

Why are people getting hung up over this, though? :confused: Was LH long-term unemployed, or just between jobs? He's in his late 20s, not a school leaver. Perhaps he had savings, or inherited some money from a grandparent, or won a few grand with a Premium Bond. Maybe his parents bought the house. Lots of possibilities.

Last night I spent about 20mins trying to write my thoughts down after the charges were made public. I gave up because I couldn't articulate my viewpoint clearly enough that I felt people would understand. I think your post did it very well.

One great thing about Websleuths is we're all wanting to use an evidence-based approach to forming our viewpoint about a case. We all look at the same/similar credible information.... yet end up with very different theories. I love that we're able to debate and brainstorm because it really can challenge your theories and help form better ones. We're not always going to agree though!

Don't feel that you have to explore your own values! Whilst some people may not agree or see your point of view, others of us do see what you're saying. When more information comes out, we'll adjust our theories and views accordingly :)

:goodpost: The one thing I love about WS is that we don't 'gossip' and do all take it quite seriously and with respect. I HATE the evil crimes that we debate but I am addicted to the Sleuthing!
I got this one very wrong as had the main offender as LH and SB as the mere driver. There may be further charges added I guess.
Total respect and sympathy's with Kayleighs Family, they have been SO dignified throughout!
Thanks again to everybody for their updates and posts, sorry I haven't had as much time to post as yet!

Sorry that was my fault re the B&M. I can see Cherwell has explained it further up this thread. I was forgetting that not everyone would have necessarily followed the Becky Watts case - in which this store featured. Apologies.

<modsnip>

I didn't think we would hear of a case as horrific as Becky's for a very long time, but it seems that, just days after the trial of her killers ended, something just as bad may have occurred.

Becky's family saw her for a final time, despite what had happened to her body, and 11 days passing between her death and police discovering her. I can't even imagine what happened to Kayleigh. I actually feel sick.

Yes my dad's a builder and he's confirmed that a percentage if every housing development now has to also include a percentage of social housing properties and a percentage of affordable housing properties (I. E. First time buyers/50%ownership). He said that nearly 99.9% of the time these properties are all in the same block/terrace. Therefore if no 5 was social housing so would no7 be as they are in the same block

Those houses have just one bedroom, don't they? So not family homes. For single occupancy or couples. I suppose two friends sharing could use the rooms as two bedsits.

Why are people getting hung up over this, though? :confused: Was LH long-term unemployed, or just between jobs? He's in his late 20s, not a school leaver. Perhaps he had savings, or inherited some money from a grandparent, or won a few grand with a Premium Bond. Maybe his parents bought the house. Lots of possibilities.
I'm not getting "hung up" over it. I merely said what are the chances that 2 old friends both end up in the same village virtually next door to each other and then end up tangled up in this..

Yes perhaps LH does have inheritance money or something but from what I've read elsewhere he never had a pot to p!ss in, spent most of his time in between jobs and blowing what money he did have on nights out..so yeah it did get me questioning how he's afforded to move into the property...next to property which coincidently SB has recently bought

<modsnip>

Without sounding too graphic though and trying to look on what little bright side there may be...Becky was dismembered but then packaged and thus effectively preserved whereas as far as we know Kayleigh was left to brave the elements..

I know that Becky was bandaged back together however it's hard to reduce the visual effects of decompostion/scavengers etc so perhaps that is why it's different in this instance rather than anything "being done" to Kayleigh which would prevent her from being presentable

Without sounding too graphic though and trying to look on what little bright side there may be...Becky was dismembered but then packaged and thus effectively preserved whereas as far as we know Kayleigh was left to brave the elements..

I know that Becky was bandaged back together however it's hard to reduce the visual effects of decompostion/scavengers etc so perhaps that is why it's different in this instance rather than anything "being done" to Kayleigh which would prevent her from being presentable

I truly hope so.

Good point Sar. Becky was indeed well preserved, which would have helped considerably for the mortuary.
So with Kayleigh, it could just be the elements ( I really do hope so ).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kooger12
Back