Found Deceased UK - Liam Smith, 16, Aberdeen, Scotland, 17 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Its strange that he hasn't been found because the Crathes estate doesn't appear that big from Google Maps. Its unlikely he wouldn't have been seen crossing fields, hiking or walking along roads as they don't have footpaths.

I find the fact he purchased snacks unusual and implies he needed food for a journey but the question is where to? There's also the possibility that he was picked up from the car park in the estate and went somewhere else, but I'm not sure theres CCTV there.

And if there's one thing I've learned from all these missing cases, is that CCTV technology desperately needs an upgrade. Our phones are capable of so much and the technology is cheap now. All we ever get is a grainy outline at best, that is if its even working, and its deleted after a few days.

I’m sure Liam was running away from something. Sometimes adults forget how hard it is being a 16 year old.

For me the big question is why Crathes. It has a nice estate, but if you wanted to kill yourself would you want to do it where there are dog walkers and members of the public walking around. He could have got a bus to a much more isolated place, but then again maybe he headed to a place he knew of.

He bought a bottle of Lucozade, a packet of Jaffa Cakes and a bar of Dairy Milk chocolate. They’re high energy foods, but also what a 16 year old boy probably eats every day. The food is sort of significant because he could have bought lots of biscuits for the equivalent in cash, which would have suggested he needed supplies for a few days in the mountains.

Also if he was planning an escape, he must have been conscious of the fact there was a security camera facing him on the bus. It wasn’t to his knowledge at the time that the CCTV wasn’t working.

Thanks for posting this Coach.

I've always been curious to know who it was who saw Liam getting ON the bus at 1.11 pm - has it ever been said who this person was? The bus driver? The same passenger who saw Liam get off at Crathes? It always worries me when the only evidence police have is eyewitness accounts and i hope they were correct in seeing Liam getting on/off the bus where they say he did.

Thats the thing, inevitably witness sightings are wrong sometimes and the longer it gets the hazier everything becomes. Liam is tall which makes him distinctive, but I find he looks and dresses as a lot of teenage boys do

Hi, I still going with the on the wrong bus possible theory. Obviously I don’t have the correct info to fully endorse or dismiss this theory. I’m also confused, I thought he lived in Westhill but now I’m finding out he perhaps used to. Either way it’s still possible that he misread a bus timetable and meant to go from Aberdeen to Westhill to see friends , stood at the wrong stance and got on the wrong bus. If there is s credible sighting at Crathes and if there was football on near there that means cars. Which teams were playing, did he meet someone. Did something happen to him travelling on foot towards home or Westhill on the road. I know the camera wasn’t working on the bus that dropped him off but what about cameras on other buses which past soon after which cover some of the road in front and behind the bus, why has nothing been picked up? Does this mean he tried for a cross country walk or does it mean something happened on the road quite quickly after coming off that bus. I am hoping for his family and for all of those that love him that answers come soon.

Jim Savege‏ @jimsavege

We were all thinking of you #LiamSmith at tonight’s @WesthillAcademy Christmas Concert. It would have been great to have shared the evening with you. We’re still searching for you.

Duu77ZFXcAEnH5Z.jpg

Duu77Y7WwAAZYJH.jpg

Jim Savege on Twitter

I am wondering about the whole bus scenario, was it actually Liam who got on the 202 Stagecoach bus at 1.11 pm? We know the first search for him was in Lumphanan as there was CCTV footage of someone getting off the bus there but when viewed it was said not to be Liam. We also know the ticket bought on the bus was a child's single fare so was it possibly another teenager who had got on the bus and that's who they thought it was in Lumphanan? Maybe this teen was of a similar age/height to Liam and that's why they thought it was possibly him until they reviewed the CCTV?

I also don't know why the 2 people who got on the bus at Holburn St and got off at Crathes haven't come forward yet. They must surely by now be aware of all the activity in the area searching for Liam? I can only presume they didn't see Liam on the bus or they would have contacted the police by now. And apart from the passenger who saw Liam get off the bus the police say there was also a credible sighting of Liam that afternoon in Crathes. Who made this sighting and where was it? At the Castle? The Steam Railway? The Football Pitch? Where was it, what time and why haven't they released this information?

Of course i am hoping the police have got it right where they are searching for Liam and i hope they find him soon, just in time for Christmas would be lovely.

'Liam was captured on CCTV boarding a 202 Stagecoach bus for Deeside at 1.11pm.

He bought a ticket for Raemoir Road in Banchory but a fellow passenger reported that he got off in the Crathes area'.

This is the first time i have seen it stated that Liam was captured on CCTV boarding the bus. Why has this footage never been shown? Surely this would be more useful in jogging people's memories (especially the bus passengers) than the footage of him entering the shopping centre?

'Liam was captured on CCTV boarding a 202 Stagecoach bus for Deeside at 1.11pm.

He bought a ticket for Raemoir Road in Banchory but a fellow passenger reported that he got off in the Crathes area'.

This is the first time i have seen it stated that Liam was captured on CCTV boarding the bus. Why has this footage never been shown? Surely this would be more useful in jogging people's memories (especially the bus passengers) than the footage of him entering the shopping centre?

I also wondered why we haven't seen the CCTV of him actually boarding the bus. Perhaps the CCTV that they showed of him walking into Union Square was from a better angle, possibly to show his 'walk', or the CCTV boarding the bus was not so clear or of his back maybe. I agree, if the CCTV had been shown of him getting on the bus then it could have jogged people's memories who were there that day waiting for other buses. It would also have confirmed that he definitely got on the bus. I was speaking to someone the other day who thinks that he may have thought the bus went out Queens Road (to go home) but surely he would have got off the bus much sooner than Crathes if that had been the case.

If you go on the Unspoken Wounds F/B page, he is doing a live web cast at 6pm tonight, that's 6pm our time. I have also just had a look on the ML page and there is a comment that suggests he is shacked up with someone, safe, well and angry with his family.

Does anyone have any further information about Liams bio (actual) father?? so, if Liam is staying with friends, I'm wondering if his father will look after Liams welfare now??

BBM
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971