UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
16:00
'I never thought I would have her for the rest of our lives', says mum
Lisa Squire says her daughter had struggled with her mental health and depression. She had also self-harmed. "She was always honest with me regarding her self-harm," says Mrs Squire. "I helped her dress her wounds and made sure she had antiseptic wipes and plasters."

“During this period I always worried about her and feared I would find her dead in her bedroom.”

She was referred to CAMHS at 15.

Her mum added: “I never thought I would have her for the rest of our lives.”

'Libby killer's 2.30am sex act in Newland Avenue' - trial updates

16:02
Libby's fear of water and dark
Libby's mum says her daughter had a fear of water and the dark. She said: "I know she would never voluntarily put herself in water – especially moving water.

“She was always scared of the dark and would never take a shortcut home or walk down a street with little light.”

16:06
When her mum 'knew something serious had happened'
In her statement, Lisa Squire says she knew Libby was going to the Welly on the night of January 31 but soon realised something was wrong when she received no more messages or calls.

I knew something wasn’t right and told her friend to call the taxi company, they had been to her favourite taxi companies and they had contacted the police.

We made the decision not to panic and go straight to Hull as she could have gone to another friend’s house.

I knew she had a lecture that day and would never miss a lecture so if she didn’t go to that something would be seriously wrong.

We travelled to Hull and knew something serious had happened. It was not in her character and she was not answering her texts or calls.

She was planning her future and was in the best place in her life she had ever been.

I'm worried at the minute that they can prove he killed her rather than raping her and her running off into the water
I know it doesn't prove anything necessarily, but the witness to a girl screaming on and off, and then when it went silent, and he saw a man running out of the park, seems to suggest to me Libby was either dead or unconscious when he ran off....else wouldn't more screaming for help be heard?

I wonder if the post mortem would be able to determine whether she was alive but unconscious, or already passed away when she entered the water? I know there is something called 'dry drowning' where you don't take in as much fluid into your lungs, as opposed to 'wet drowning' where you are gasping etc. Not an expert by any means but merely wondering.

16:10
Libby's boyfriend: 'We thought we would be with each other for life'
Libby’s boyfriend Connor says the pair had been in a relationship since summer 2016.

He said in a statement read out to court: “She was a very interesting person. She was different, like a closed book. The more I got to know her the more interested I became. Since she went to university, we got a lot closer and the relationship got a lot stronger.

“We had plans to be with each other for the rest of our lives. I know that is easy to say at my age but I know she is the person for me.

“We spoke about marriage and children.”

16:13
The kind-hearted girlfriend battling depression
Libby's boyfriend Connor added: “Libby is one of the kindest people I know. She would take other people’s problems and try and make them better. She was popular and you would struggle to find anyone that didn’t like her. She was happy with me and her friends said it was the happiest they had seen her.”

Connor has said Libby told him she had tried to take her own life three times.

He added: “I do not think she was suicidal. She didn’t want to die. She made attempts but would immediately alert someone. I did try to talk to her but it was very difficult for her. As far as I know she has not harmed herself for the last seven months. We made an agreement I would stop smoking and she would stop hurting herself and as far as I know she kept to her side of the agreement.”

16:00
'I never thought I would have her for the rest of our lives', says mum
Lisa Squire says her daughter had struggled with her mental health and depression. She had also self-harmed. "She was always honest with me regarding her self-harm," says Mrs Squire. "I helped her dress her wounds and made sure she had antiseptic wipes and plasters."

“During this period I always worried about her and feared I would find her dead in her bedroom.”

She was referred to CAMHS at 15.

Her mum added: “I never thought I would have her for the rest of our lives.”

I find that quote that she never thought i would have her for the rest of our lives really poignant. How desperately sad that a young woman who had experienced personal struggles had her life taken away just as things looked like they were improving for her and she was building a future.

16:22
'Libby would not go off with someone she didn't know'
Connor said Libby was thriving in Hull and enjoying her course, philosophy. She had also been interested in pursuing journalism.

"The lecturers would say they had never seen anyone with such a passion for learning,” he said.

He said when drunk she remained in control and “wouldn’t accept help from someone she didn’t know.” He added: “She is very strong-willed and sort herself out rather than seek help from someone.”

He added she would not go somewhere she did not know, or talk to someone she did not know, or go off with someone she did not know unless she knew someone they were with.

Just absolutely sickening reading the court transcripts. He was on the look-out that night and she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Interesting to now see all these other little bits of info coming out that we didn't know the meaning of at the time and how it all fits together.

I'm worried at the minute that they can prove he killed her rather than raping her and her running off into the water
But the signs weren't typical of drowning - that would suggest to me that she didn't run into the river. I would assume that would show very clear signs of gasping in water. And they did say dead or dying when she was dumped suggesting she wasn't conscious.

Plus I think earlier there were discussions of the slope up to the river and the uneven nature of the ground and the fact it was frozen all of which would have made it difficult even without being intoxicated and hypothermic. He was fit and able she wasn't. I don't think she'd have got away and it would have been risky for him to let her ☹️

I wouldn't want to convict on a possibility...regards the post mortem

Just playing devils advocate really regards the river but if she was being attacked adrenaline may kick in an enable her to run ..ive looked at photos of the slope ..its not horrendous
Hopefully more evidence will clarify and dismiss any doubt

I know it doesn't prove anything necessarily, but the witness to a girl screaming on and off, and then when it went silent, and he saw a man running out of the park, seems to suggest to me Libby was either dead or unconscious when he ran off....else wouldn't more screaming for help be heard?

Likely yes ..but its not impossible she could stay silent from the point of running away not alert her direction to her attacker ...difficult to say

16:42
Friends helped reluctant Libby get in my taxi, says driver
Taxi driver Steven Moreton is now giving evidence from the witness box. He was driving a Fiat Scudo on the night of January 31 when he dropped off some young men at the Welly nightclub on Beverley Road at 11.30pm.

Mr Moreton said: “As the lads got out, they left the door open, a girl came to my passenger window and asked me to take her friend home straight away. You start to think they might be a bit drunk if that happens.

“One of the girls was being held by another girl, trying to pull away. One of them was the girl I was to drive home.

“She didn’t want to get in but her friend was trying to get her into the taxi. A girl then jumped in and another came to the window asked me how much it was and gave me the address.”

The girl who put her friend in the taxi told her to “text her when she got in”, Mr Moreton has told the court.

So now we know he visited the playing fields three times that night: before he met Libby, then together when he brought her there and finally when he returned afterwards by himself again.

Any ideas what might have been his reason for visiting playing fields the first time round? I mean that time before he even crossed paths with Libby that night...just weird to me (did he plan something?)

Edited by me for grammar

Scoping out the area. He had been building up to this with all the previous peeping tom activity. He was looking for somewhere near where he could leave car, yet was dark and where he wouldn't be seen.

16:45
'Libby was angry but said she was OK' - driver
Mr Moreton said he drove the taxi up Beverley Road towards Wellesley Avenue.

He said: “She was very angry about some lad or something, she did say about somebody ‘he’s a *advertiser censored***** c***.’

“We spoke through the intercom system. She didn’t say who this man was, I didn’t have a clue. I assumed it was a boyfriend or an ex-boyfriend.

“I asked a couple of times she was ok and she said she was fine. I thought I heard a noise that sounded like she was being sick but when we got to her address I jumped out to see and there wasn’t any.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member