UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:43
Concern as Libby fails to turn up to University lecture
Friend Nathan Murphy says he last saw Libby walking along Beverley Road with the group and “other than being cold and drunk she seemed fine”.

Nathan returned home but received a call in the early hours of the morning from Amelia asking him to keep an eye out for Libby.

He said: “I was not overly concerned as Libby is sensible and knows how to look after herself. Amelia called me at 2.30am telling me she had called the police.

“After this call I was still not worried and thought there would be a genuine reason why she had not got home. I went to bed and the next day me and my friend were talking about how over the top the response had been.

“Libby missing a lecture was very out of character and as time went on I worried more.”

Libby Squire murder and rape trial - flatmates describe final night

But then they do seem to be saying that her being refused entry to places in the past wasn’t atypical/her intoxication wasn’t atypical for her. So maybe it’s just adding weight to flat mates being unconcerned about sending her home alone.

12:11
'Libby was struggling to walk outside her house'
Leon Caplin, who lives on Wellesley Avenue, said he and friends had booked a taxi from their home on January 31 when a taxi arrived with Libby.

He said: “We had all had a bit to drink but none was very drunk. When the time came for the taxi we stood outside.

“A taxi came into the road. I cannot say where she got out from as I didn’t see her until she was on the path. She stumbled against a wall and onto the floor.

"My friend Ollie went to her and asked if she was ok but she got up and started to walk towards Beverley Road. She was struggling to walk in a straight line.”

Are the witnesses instructed to speak in the present tense? It must be hard to do so after such a period of time. Very sad that at the precise moment her friend was texting her, she was at Oak Road. Poor Libby.

They are not giving evidence in court - these are statements being read out on their behalf - and would have been made to police shortly after Libby was reported missing. So at that time, they did not know she was dead.

12:18
Another witness on moment Libby arrived in street
Jorge Thompson, who also lives on Wellesley Avenue, said he and friends were waiting for a taxi to take them to the Welly.

“We had a taxi booked. At 11.30pm I went outside and a taxi pulled up. The driver got out and I asked if the car was for us but he said he was ‘with her’ and was helping a female out of the taxi.

“She was stumbling everywhere and struggling to stand. She began walking down the road back towards Beverley Road. She walked around 30 metres when she slipped, fully face down and laid there around 10 seconds and we laughed. We walked to her and asked if she was OK. She said she was fine and walked away.”

12:20
'Are you alright love?' - Group try to help Libby
Oliver Prince says he was staying with friend Jorge Thompson on the night he saw Libby.

He said: “We left the house and made our way to the taxi. We were outside for about a minute waiting when I saw a female walking. I first saw her around 10 metres away and noticed she was stumbling. I noticed she was drunk.

“I saw her fall. The pavement was icy. Jorge and I went over to help her she managed to get herself and one of us shouted, ‘Are you alright, love?’ She gestured as she was and walked down the path away from us.”

Jorge asked the taxi driver who had dropped her off to see if she was alright and he said he would.

They are not giving evidence in court - these are statements being read out on their behalf - and would have been made to police shortly after Libby was reported missing. So at that time, they did not know she was dead.

Oh so none of the friends so far are speaking in person? Every single one is a statement from them at the time, being read out?

12:28
Women 'heard Libby crying' in street and went to help
Hannah Wright, who lives on Wellesley Avenue in a ground floor bedroom, said on January 31, 2019, was at home in her room with a top window open.

She said; “At around 11.30pm I was watching TV when my attention was turned to a female crying and sobbing - someone distressed. I looked out the window but couldn’t see who was making the noise.

“I went to the front door, opened it and stepped out and could see a female, who was obviously distressed, sat with her back to my window.

“I couldn’t really identify what she was saying. I bent down to give her my hand as it was slippy. She took it, I helped her up. I bought her into the hallway just inside the front door.

“I was joined by my two housemates. All three tried to speak to her to see if she needed help, if she had any friends we could call. She looked disorientated but had no visible injuries. We did not establish her name despite asking, or her address. What we were able to establish was that she was upset about her friend moving out."

12:31
'We asked if we could help her home'
Hannah said the woman “asked to go” and they opened the door for her.

She added: “We said if we could do anything to get her home. She turned left towards Beverley Road. We were all a bit shocked and hoped she’d be alright. The following day I looked at Facebook and saw an image of the missing girl and was 90% sure it was the girl from the night before.

“I sent her picture to the group chat and another said she was sure it was the same girl and we called the police. I’m confident that the girl I saw in our hallway is Libby Squire.”

12:42
Libby's key recovered from neighbour's garden
Richard Wright QC is telling the jury that close to 7.30pm on February 1, a police officer recovered a key from the garden where Hannah lived.

The key was later tried on Libby’s home, which opened the door.

Mr Wright said that same day, the keys and keyring were identified as having belonged to Libby by her flatmate Amelia.

12:47
Libby was 'drunk and crying' when seen on Beverley Road
Beth Green, a student at the University of Hull had been drinking at the Haworth Arms when she saw Libby.

She said she left at around 11.40pm and had drunk a bottle of wine.

She said: “I turned left onto Beverley Road. There were a few cars. I was going back to my house a five minute walk away.

“I was walking on the same side as the old nunnery [The Endsleigh Centre] when I saw a female. I saw her near to the cobbles where the entrance is.

“This female was walking towards me, she stumbled on the cobbles so I could tell she was drunk. When she looked up I noticed she was crying.

“I asked her if she was okay and she told me she was trying to get to Wellesley Avenue. She was walking in the wrong direction and I shouted that to her but she carried on walking so I wasn’t sure if she heard me.

“I carried on walking for a few minutes before I turned back and I saw her close to the bus stop. I arrived home at 11.50pm.”

The woman said she recognised Libby from the police appeals the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member