UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I was drawing the moderator's attention to it. I thought it would be reasonable to discuss anything that has been said in court.

I am guessing the prosecutor's odd framing arises out of the background trial procedure, rather than a followup statement by PR to police on his arrest.

To streamline trials, parties agree what matters will be in dispute, in order that the witnesses can focus on the live issues. So for example, the prosecution has lots of video of what they say is PR, his car, and libby in his car, at multiple locations. The accused is not going to deny that it is his car, and that is him, and it is libby and that he was at those locations. This means that the prosecution won't need to call any expert evidence to identify the car for example. It'll just be read in.

So I am guessing in the trial management phase, and perhaps in its pleadings in response to the indictment, the defence accepts that it was his semen, but denies rape.

How the defence intends to adduce evidence to that end I am not sure, because presumably only PR can give that version via testimony, and it is different to his statements to police and other witnesses.

This is why I suspect the defence case will tend to involve speculation by defence counsel, more than actual evidence - because no one else can put a non-rape version into evidence, and PR already gave a different statement

The defence is in huge difficulty IMO

I am guessing the prosecutor's odd framing arises out of the background trial procedure, rather than a followup statement by PR to police on his arrest.

To streamline trials, parties agree what matters will be in dispute, in order that the witnesses can focus on the live issues. So for example, the prosecution has lots of video of what they say is PR, his car, and libby in his car, at multiple locations. The accused is not going to deny that it is his car, and that is him, and it is libby and that he was at those locations. This means that the prosecution won't need to call any expert evidence to identify the car for example. It'll just be read in.

guessing in the trial management phase, and perhaps in its pleadings in response to the indictment, the defence accepts that it was his semen, but denies rape.

How the defence intends to adduce evidence to that end I am not sure, because presumably only PR can give that version via testimony, and it is different to his statements to police and other witnesses.

This is why I suspect the defence case will tend to involve speculation by defence counsel, more than actual evidence - because no one else can put a non-rape version into evidence, and PR already gave a different statement

The defence is in huge difficulty IMO
In his last trial he pleaded guilty and it did reduce his sentence. Tho that did still seem quite punitive which I guess reflected the fact he was perceived as being at the dangerous sexual predator end of the offending public decency scale.

Am I right in guessing that any sentence he's looking at here means there is no real advantage to him pleading guilty on this one to save her family and boyfriend having to endure all of this?

Regarding the missing knickers. PR kept various trophies/pants. It sounds like he was going to keep hers as a trophy but when there was a big police search he got rid of them?
Also, were any of her other clothes/bag found?
He wasn't arrested till the 6th and I guess he could gauge how close police were getting to him from where they were searching. Gives him time to get rid. They tore his house apart searching and looked at an area in the back so I guess he did destroy them.

What I don't understand is why he kept the other trophies? He sometimes appears very stupid.

As that's the only thing the defence has mentioned I'm guessing that's the only thing missing

I think you’re probably right about there being no perceived advantage of a guilty plea; I think the power/risk balance of reliving the night whilst knowing the police don’t have a smoking gun that proves Libby died directly at his hand is a heady combination for him.

I think you’re probably right about there being no perceived advantage of a guilty plea; I think the power/risk balance of reliving the night whilst knowing the police don’t have a smoking gun that proves Libby died directly at his hand is a heady combination for him.
Given what we already know of him - I feel sick at what he might be getting out of reliving this

Monday, January 18th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 10:30am UK) – UK – Liberty “Libby” Anna Squire (21) (last seen Jan. 31, 2019 outside Welly Club in Hull; found Mar. 20, 2019 from Grimsby Docks in the Humber Estuary) - *Pawel P. Relowicz (24/now 25) arrested (Feb. 6, 2019 on suspicion of abduction) officially charged (Oct. 30, 2019) with murder & rape. No plea entered yet. Not guilty plea entered on Jan. 12, 2021.
Trial began on Jan. 12, 2021. Trial will be in Sheffield. Richard Wright QC will lead, Mr. Woolfall prosecutor. Oliver Saxby QC for defense. Trial expected to last 6 weeks. Jury: 5 men & 7 women.
Was originally charged (18/3/19 & 10/5/19) with 5 counts of burglary, 4 counts of voyeurism, 3 counts of outraging public decency & 1 count of receiving stolen goods. On Aug. 12, 2019 plead guilty to 9 charges including voyeurism (4 counts), outraging public decency (2 counts) & burglary (3 counts). Relowicz jailed for eight & a half years.

Trial Day 1-2 (12/1 - 14/1/21) reference post #534 here:
UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #18

Jan. 15th Friday, Update: The trial has been postponed for a second day due to weather conditions in South Yorkshire. Snow is making it difficult for jurors to reach the court. Continues on Monday, 1/18/21.
Thank you Niner

“What I don't understand is why he kept the other trophies? He sometimes appears very stupid.”

I think it’s an arrogance perhaps combined with a sub-conscious desire to be caught (for the voyeurism); I imagine there’s some degree of self-revulsion that’s temporarily over-ridden whilst committing offences/reviewing his trophies which is what leads to increased frequency.

Sounds like I’m apologising for him which isn’t what I intend, trying to convey his offences are a totally inappropriate coping mechanism which he recognises on some level brings only temporary respite.

In his last trial he pleaded guilty and it did reduce his sentence. Tho that did still seem quite punitive which I guess reflected the fact he was perceived as being at the dangerous sexual predator end of the offending public decency scale.

Am I right in guessing that any sentence he's looking at here means there is no real advantage to him pleading guilty on this one to save her family and boyfriend having to endure all of this?

I don't know much about UK sentencing

The only advantage I could imagine is that a guilty plea and accepting responsibility might help with parole many years hence

“What I don't understand is why he kept the other trophies? He sometimes appears very stupid.”

I think it’s an arrogance perhaps combined with a sub-conscious desire to be caught (for the voyeurism); I imagine there’s some degree of self-revulsion that’s temporarily over-ridden whilst committing offences/reviewing his trophies which is what leads to increased frequency.

Sounds like I’m apologising for him which isn’t what I intend, trying to convey his offences are a totally inappropriate coping mechanism which he recognises on some level brings only temporary respite.

I mean this is not a sophisticated offender

He left video and other evidence of himself all over the place. Sometimes perps just get lucky that the body is not found for a long time.

Libby Squire trial live: Pawel Relowicz back in dock for week two of murder and rape trial

Updates from court as the trial of Pawel Relowicz continues

The trial of Pawel Relowicz, who is accused of raping and murdering Hull student Libby Squire, enters its second week today.

Despite issues last week with the weather meaning jurors struggled to make it to court, the trial is expected to get under way again today from Sheffield Crown Court.

Relowicz, 26, of Raglan Street in Hull, denies the charges against him.

Jurors heard from the prosecution last week about how Relowicz "stalked" the 21-year-old student on February 1, 2019 as she walked down Beverley Road.

The jury were shown CCTV footage and interactive maps of Relowicz "prowling" the area looking for a target. The prosecution say he "intercepted" her before driving her to Oak Road Playing Fields where he raped and killed her.

The prosecution told how Relowicz has previously admitted crimes including voyeurism and burglary and, when his car was searched on February 6, a pink holdall containing sex toys and two masks was found.

Richard Wright QC told the jury that just hours after killing Libby, Relowicz masturbated in Newland Avenue and a condom containing semen matching his DNA profile was found days later.

10:35
Monday morning and we are resuming Day 3 of the trial
Justice Lambert is now sitting at Sheffield Crown Court.

Relowicz is in the dock accompanied by three dock officers and is wearing the same blue suit as grey facemask as the first week of the trial.

He has quickly glanced at the public gallery but is now looking straight ahead.

The jury has been called up.

Libby Squire murder and rape trial updates week two

Key points so far
Commencing on Tuesday last week, the jury have so far been given information on what the prosecution say Relowicz did before and after the University of Hull student suddenly vanished in the early hours of February 1, 2019.

Libby disappeared after a night out with friends at Welly on Beverley Road, where she was turned away by door-staff.

The jury were shown heartbreaking CCTV of Libby's movements, as well as CCTV showing Relowicz's movements before and after he came into contact with Libby, who the prosecution say he raped and murdered.

The court also heard intimate details of previous crimes Relowicz has admitted including voyeurism and burglary.

5 versions of what happened the night Libby died
These are the bleak and tragic versions of what happened to Hull student Libby Squire on the night she died, as heard in court.

In the first week of the trial of Pawel Relowicz, who is accused if Libby's rape and murder in February 2019, the prosecution outlined its own case as well as saying the jury will hear another four conflicting accounts of what happened on the night she died.

On Wednesday, the trial heard prosecution barrister Richard Wright QC outline what he believed happened the night the Hull student was last seen alive.

But Mr Wright told the jury at Sheffield Crown Court there were another four different accounts of that night, recounted by Relowicz himself in the days after Libby went missing which he delivered to police, to a friend, to a colleague and finally his formal defence in court.

10 :35
Monday morning and we are resuming Day 3 of the trial
Justice Lambert is now sitting at Sheffield Crown Court.

Relowicz is in the dock accompanied by three dock officers and is wearing the same blue suit as grey facemask as the first week of the trial.

He has quickly glanced at the public gallery but is now looking straight ahead.

The jury has been called up.

10:45
Evidence about Libby's state-of-mind
Prosecutor Richard Wright QC is outlining Libby Squire's history of mental health issues which he has presented to the court as 'agreed facts'. It follow's her mum Lisa's evidence that Libby had struggled with her mental health and had self-harmed.

10:49Sophie Corcoran
Libby had struggled with 'fears of failure'
Mr Wright said Libby had struggled with her mental health since 2013 and there were notes on her medical records about self-harm and suicidal thoughts. He said: “She reported long-standing depression and suspected personality disorder.”

Mr Wright has told the court that later in 2017 Libby was put on a three-month waiting list for cognitive behavioural therapy.

He said: “The impression of those assessing her she has been able to function and manage thoughts of self-harm and appeared happy about going to university and they felt she did not fit the criteria for secondary mental health services.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member