Found Deceased UK - Lindsay Birbeck, 47, Accrington, 12 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Lancaster. Gypsies originated in India. Travellers are often Irish. There’s no ancestry between the two. We have quite a lot of travellers and settled travellers in our community here. My great grandparents were Romany Gypsies.
Not far from me then

If violence is normally the first resort, then the reasonable thing to do wouldn't be to personally intervene but note a description of the offender and what they're doing and when, and report it. I wouldn't tell them I was reporting them.

I'm not from the UK, just the Internet, and given it's not acceptable to call people gypsies anymore, I think traveller has become a de facto PC-acceptable term. It would be interesting to find out that accuracy has been exchanged for political correctness. Is Romany an acceptable word to use instead?
Yes definitely

I'm not from the UK, just the Internet, and given it's not acceptable to call people gypsies anymore, I think traveller has become a de facto PC-acceptable term. It would be interesting to find out that accuracy has been exchanged for political correctness. Is Romany an acceptable word to use instead?
There are two distinctly different groups (genetically) that are collectly called travellers. Especially in the U.K. the travellers are usually Irish travellers Irish Travellers - Wikipedia , the other group is the Romani people (once called Gypsies) Romani people - Wikipedia . The correct name for the second group is Romani or Roma, and not travellers. The Roma have their own language and history, and it's different from the history of the Irish travellers.

There are two distinctly different groups (genetically) that are collectly called travellers. Especially in the U.K. the travellers are usually Irish travellers Irish Travellers - Wikipedia , the other group is the Romani people (once called Gypsies) Romani people - Wikipedia . The correct name for the second group is Romani or Roma, and not travellers. The Roma have their own language and history, and it's different from the history of the Irish travellers.

Irish travellers have their own language too. Shelta.

They took the bombing and terror victims out of the statistics. I only quoted a few items - there is a lot more info at the link that explains how they arrived at their numbers.
Did they really take out the number of those victims? In the beginning of the report, 1 Main points, it says after the sentence about the terror attacks and Hillsborough, "If these are excluded ...", not that they are excluded.

Irish travellers have their own language too. Shelta.
Yes, the Irish travellers have their own language, but it's considered to be a mixed language in linguistic terms, Mixed language - Wikipedia , while the different varieties of the Romani languages is a branch of the Indo-European language family. The Shelta is similar to Para-Romani, Para-Romani - Wikipedia , in linguistic terms, not to Romani.

Last edited:
Whilst the thread is quiet I thought I'd try to find out a bit more about the layout and refurbishment of the Whitaker's Arms and came across this...

Whitakers Arms Accrington

The pre-works inspection (Schedule of Condition) has some interesting photos, some showing the cellar and various access points.
Just in case anyone else is curious

IMO etc

What does dbm mean? I keep seeing it but couldn’t find it in the slang list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads